1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Charlie Villanueva mentions Rockets interest in blog

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hooroo, Jan 30, 2008.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=400026429&messageID=400693350#400693350
    Maybe James, Snyder, Head for CharlieV, Mason?
    This would save the Rockets 1.5M what they need to cut to get under LT.

Mason is meant to be out for 8 weeks starting from Dec 21. That's a couple more weeks till he's healthy again. His contract is also a year shorter than James's.

2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So basically, the Rockets trade for younger, better, and cheaper talent?

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

My guess is he's just referring to the rumor that Peter Vecsey printed about T-Mac for Redd/Villanueva/pick some weeks back.

4. lalala902102001

Believe it or not, I'm actually happy with our PF situation right now. Scolar/Hayes/Landry is a pretty decent combination that provides a little bit of everything.

IF anything, I think that the Rockets should try to get another shooter before the trading deadline, a more polished/better defense Novak. And we can always use some help at PG position.

5. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

ahh trade talks...
    man talk about it, this freshman today at my school said the most rediculously stupid thing i have ever heard.

He said.....
    "I have a trade that's going to work and it's awesome"
    i said.....
    "Yeah, o-k"
    he said.....
    "Yao Ming + Tracy McGrady for Luol Deng and Ben Gordon"
    me: walks away and don't know what to say

nuff said about that dumb kid

6. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

2 solid role players for 2 solid pieces of dookie. Yes if I am the Bucks GM and I would do that deal now but Les better slide me some cash under the table because I am going to be unemployed very shortly.

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

Buck's GM's job is on the line. Their owner reportedly was expecting a playoff berth this season. They are still in contention for 8th seed in the EC as it's very tight but not if they keep on losing like they have been. February is going to be a playoff-breaker/maker for a lot of teams. Bucks just don't have the luxury to wait on Mason.

For the Rockets I see it as a salary dump. CharlieV as a SF taking over Snyder's role.

8. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Probably.

Still, I sure wouldn't mind having him... and Milwaukee wouldn't miss him much, seeing as they already have Yi, who's a similar player with more upside.

I've been uncomfortable for awhile not having a bigger 4 who can play appreciable minutes at center. We end up playing Scola or Chuck at the 5 when Yao's out, and IMO it would be better if we didn't have to do that.

I realize Charlie's not really the center type, but at least he's 6-11. And god knows his shooting touch would be useful alongside Yao, too.

9. Guru

Guru Member

Man image a PF line up or Scola and Charlie V... :p

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Vecs doesn't deal in rumor; just hard fact. :D

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

then offer popeye jones a 10 day contract.

12. poprocks

poprocks Member

Don't Need! Our PF position is covered.

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Wasn't that what Toronto did when they traded Villanueva for TJ Ford? (the injuries which happened later aside...)

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Agreed.We need a PG,a swingman or a 5/4. Charlie V doesn't defend either and isn't a point forward. He also seems lazy to me.

15. Bustnani

Bustnani Member

What need would the Rockets need with a soft PF in CharlieV? This guy is an attrocious defender, doesn't block shots, poor rebounder. Offensively he would be ok, since he's a perimeter PF but he spends too much time parked at the 3 point line and he isn't a good 3 point shooter. If Rockets are giving up trash for him, no problem, but there is little use for him on the Rockets.

16. sbyang

sbyang Member

The 1st question you need to ask when making up a trade is: why would the teams do this? If you can't find a good reason for both teams, it's a dumb trade.

17. solid

solid Contributing Member

If he can play PG, I am for it. GitRiddyRafer!

18. hooroo

hooroo Member

I assume you don't like the players involved. What other realistic trade scenario can you possibly think of involving the Rockets and Bucks.

19. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

The Bucks are probably the team I have the least exposure to this season. Even if there's nothing else on I have a hard to turning on my League Pass to watch them play.

That being said, how has Villanueva looked this year? I'd be interested if I thought he was capable of playing SF but before this year I have never seen him show any capability of doing so. Has that changed or are we just looking at the second coming of Tim Thomas?

20. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

He can play some 3. Ball handling is kinda weak for a 3, but passable. The Tim Thomas comparison is actually pretty accurate, but Thomas is comparatively a better shooter/ball handler while CV is better in the post.