1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Video: Clyde, Rick Adelman, Vernon Maxwell and Seinfeld

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jan 20, 2008.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How the great vault of history has been opened!
    I have not found this on sohu.com or sina.com, but on this youtube.com site.
    It maybe hard to translate some of the stuff Vernon says to Chinese, please help!

ENJOY!! :D :D

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wN6YzPKRLVI&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wN6YzPKRLVI&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

LMAO. Mad Max @ 1:37 - "Kiss my ass muthaf***er!!" Ron Artest ain't got nothing on Vernon. Mad Max is the Original Gangsta.

3. tinman

Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    Clyde Drexler in an early preview of his commentating skills:
    "They are gonna hand out some heavy fines."
    :rolleyes:

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That was strange.

5. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

this video is badass

6. Rowdie Brandon

I've never actually seen the video of Max actually "punching" that guy....good find....I remember watching that game and we were getting our ass kicked and then it came back from commercial break and bill worrell was screaming "vernon maxwell has just went into the stands!!"...haha, good times.....imo that guy deserved it, from what I remember he said something about Vernon's stillborn child......that's worthy of an ass kicking.......Madd Max will always be one of my favorite rockets and sport icons....LONG LIVE MADD MAX!!!!!

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Someone turn Rudy chugging the beer into an animated gif and let me sit and watch it for hours on end. I love you Rudy T!

8. Jelle

Jelle Rookie

I've been wanting to see this for ages, too bad you can't hear the guy in the audience. I always gave Maxwell the benefit of the doubt but it looks like he's just mad for playing bad / getting benched (what happend with him & Drexler, does anybody know ??) and the punched the guy because he's busting my balls. I have a game of Jan 1992 of the Rockets vs. Spurs and Maxwell almost attacks a woman, who's behind the basket, after he gets tossed from the game.

9. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

That was awesome.

I love Vernon Maxwell.

10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Those graphics were creepy.

I wished it never happened, but I'm glad Robert Horry went up after him. I wish he went after him sooner. Could have been worse for that fan.

11. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member

Man as crazy as Mad Max was he could hit some crazy buzzer beatin shots ! He used to be my favorite Rocket for a while until that game. I was watching that game on my parents 50 ft satellite dish..... Mad Max the Original Gangster :D

12. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I truly honestly believe Maxwell had the physical make up to be as good as Jordan, and that if he had the same mental makeup he could have been one of the all time greats. He certainly played absolutely brilliant at times. I remember how much he used to really effect Jordan's game and would get in his head so well. Artest has nothing on Mad Max.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

Am I the only who found that Seinfeld being a Blazers fan making no sense?

14. shady1

shady1 Contributing Member

dude, that whole video made no sense. seinfeld being a blazers fan was just the tip of the iceberg.

W...T...F

15. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

man... vern was the man. :cool: well, i guess anyone who can get under jordan's skin is the man.

i could hear him in the tunnel saying to yao... "we will iso you mf'er!"

16. KingCheetah

Did Max actually beat the hell out of the guy in the stands or was it just one of those swing and miss affairs?

17. tinman

Supporting Member

no, it was an allegedly a punch. He'd didn't deck the guy like Jermaine O'Neal or Stephen Jackson.
    Here's an article that is actually pretty funny now looking back. look at the players who are support Max. ;)

Paper: HOUSTON CHRONICLE
    Date: SAT 02/11/1995
    Section: Sports
    Page: 1
    Edition: 2 STAR

Peers can see Maxwell's side

By EDDIE SEFKO
    Staff

PHOENIX -- A cavalry charge of NBA players came to Rockets guard Vernon Maxwell's defense Friday, treating commissioner David Stern, league management and arena executives like the bad guys.

The overwhelming hot topic during the opening day of All-Star Weekend was Maxwell's 10-game suspension and how players in the NBA feel they are subjected to too much harassment by unruly fans.

Maxwell received his suspension and a $20,000 fine for punching a fan that, Maxwell claims, was yelling racial and sexual insults at him and defaming his deceased daughter.

"Vernon is a friend of mine and I know he wouldn't run into the stands for just nothing," said Minnesota's Isaiah Rider. "I'm not saying it was OK for him to do it. But fans can be terrible. They say everything from A to Z. I mean everything."

Asked if he could envision fans talking about Maxwell's daughter, who died at birth, Rider said: "I wouldn't put it past them. And that's definitely over the line. I know Vernon is still struggling with that.

"But you get a couple of drinks in fans and they'll say anything. We get fans who will say stuff in front of 9-year-old kids. But when we react, we're the ones in the wrong."

Rider will defend his slam-dunk title today during All-Star Saturday activities. He gathered with all the other All-Star festivity participants Friday. Most wanted to give their opinion on the Maxwell situation.

"Just because some guy pays $100 for a seat doesn't give him the right to degrade players," Utah's Karl Malone said. "I remember one time in LA at the Sports Arena, this guy was relentless. He followed me all the way to the bus. There are fans that are crazy."

Malone said he thinks players would be justified in retaliating if they feared for their well-being.

"I think you look at what happened to Monica Seles (tennis player who was knifed while on the court) and you have to realize how serious this is," he said. "These days, fans get mad if you don't sign an autograph. What's going to happen is that a player is going to get hurt one of these days, and then it's too late.

"If all the media can see that there is a small problem brewing, then we should start addressing it before something happens. There should be some kind of way the league can step in."

What can the league do? Stern was asked whether the NBA needs better security at games, a stricter policy on fan behavior or if players should develop thicker skins.

"All of the above," he said. "Our players have a right to a relatively safe atmosphere in which to play. And the fans are entitled to a relatively safe arena. We're going to have to continue to monitor this."

Stern, who refused to comment on Maxwell's situation, said he views it as an extension of the many problems suffered by what has become known as the NBA's "Generation X" players. They are usually young, often arrogant players such as New Jersey's Derrick Coleman, Washington's Chris Webber and Minnesota's Rider. Maxwell is a card-carrying member of the club.

Stern said these players "will not detract from the growth of this league."

But players pointed out a possible double standard in the Maxwell situation. Last May during the Denver-Utah playoff series, Jazz owner Larry Miller got into a fight with a fan and had the fan in a choke hold.

Players openly wondered why Miller was suspended for only two games and not fined.

"Larry Miller owned the team and owned the arena," Malone said, breaking into laughter. "Vernon doesn't own a team."

But the NBA Players Association doesn't view it as a laughing matter, which is part of the reason Maxwell has appealed his punishment.

"In Larry Miller's case, he was suspended for two games," Stern said. "But two wrongs do not make a right. The issue we're addressing is, "Can a player go into the stands and hit a fan?'

"If we have to change our rules for making our arenas safe, we will. There is conduct that may have been acceptable two years ago or one year ago that isn't acceptable now."

In the players' eyes, fan behavior isn't always acceptable, either.

"They should keep fans out of our faces," said Seattle guard Gary Payton, like Maxwell notorious as a player who doesn't take any grief from fans, coaches or the media. "They can get all over you, but as soon as you say or do something, they're going to sue you.

"The only thing we can do as players is stand up and get a security guard to throw them out."

But that rarely happens. And game officials aren't much help.

Indiana's Reggie Miller said he has asked referees on many occasions to eject a fan or order fans to limit their razzing. Not once has a ref taken any action, Miller said.

Therefore, Payton said, players often feel compelled to take matters into their own hands.

"I ain't going into the stands," he said. "But I'll heckle them back. I can say something about their mama or daddy, too, just like they do to us.

"Everybody in this league has got feelings."

Racism is by far the biggest problem players face when dealing with fans, Payton said.

"Racism has been here forever," he said. "You see it everywhere. That's why some of these fans come to games."

Stern said the question boils down to what rights fans and players have. The fans buy the tickets that pay the salaries, but does that entitle them to free rein when it comes to heckling?

"That is a subject of ongoing discussion," Stern said. "There is one school of thought, which I don't belong to, that says you pay your $20 or $200 or $2,000, so you can say whatever you want. We want some semblance of civil behavior in our buildings. And I think this is a fair topic."

Stern was asked if Maxwell should have been suspended for longer, perhaps the entire season, as an English soccer player was recently.

"This was one of the harshest punishments ever," the commissioner said. "In all deference to our friends in soccer, we're not going to take any lessons from them on proper decorum on or off the court."

Chicago's Scottie Pippen, who threw a chair across the court two weeks ago after getting ejected from a game, said the fans' behavior has to be analyzed just like the players are by referees.

"I think fans should have some respect for players," Pippen said. "There's a difference between being a heckler and being someone who is trying to start something.

"I'm not saying what Vernon did was right. But on the other hand, fans shouldn't be allowed to say some of the stuff they say."

As for the punishment, Pippen said it seemed stiff.

"Why don't they let the law take action?" asked Pippen. "That's where it belongs."

Even in support of Maxwell, several players said they got the message the league was trying to send. Said Pippen: "Better him than me. I'm glad I found out what it costs to go into the stands after (Jerry) Krause."

Said Chicago coach Phil Jackson: "It seems pretty extreme. My guess was three to five games. But they're sending a message: "We're not going to tolerate this behavior.' I'm a company kind of guy.

"I hate to see one guy be a scapegoat, but it's certainly going to eliminate any guy's thought about that type of activity." ...

Stars speak out on Maxwell incident

"Just because some guy pays $100 for a seat doesn't give him the right to degrade players. There are fans that are crazy.'

Utah's Karl Malone

"I'm not saying what Vernon did was right. But ... fans shouldn't be allowed to say some of the stuff they say.'

Chicago's Scottie Pippen

18. tinman

Supporting Member

This pretty much says its all about how good a teammate and friend Sam is.

[​IMG]
    "He's still my friend," Cassell said. "I don't care who knows it. I know a lot of people have said a lot of bad things about him. But the guy I know helped me personally.

"Max challenged me in my rookie year. He tested me. He never let me back down. He made me better. Remember the Knicks series in '94, when I screwed up in Game 2? It was Max who talked to me and kept my head up. Then, I came back and hit that big two and made those free throws in Game 3. You can't forget the good things."

Link

19. KingCheetah

Stern, ... said he views it as an extension of the many problems suffered by what has become known as the NBA's "Generation X" players.
    _____

Gen X -- causing trouble again -- this quote could have come from 2008. :D

20. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I remember that game, crazy stuff. Video gave us a Zan Tabak and Tim Breux sighting though, ah the memories....