1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Do You Know When You're Getting Old?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lil Pun, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Watching "Saved by the Bell" episodes on TV gets me to thinking about getting older. I mean I am only turning 28 this year but I look back on some of these episodes and I still remember them from when I was 10 years old...and that was almost 20 FREAKING YEARS AGO!!! Maybe it is a lot of things. My 10 year high school reunion will come up later this year too, I just graduated from college, although I did not spend 10 years in college ;) , thinking about marriage and kids, just got a new job, etc. I mean I look back and almost 30 years of my life has passed and it feels like it has not been that long and at the same time I feel like there was a lot I left on the plate and should have and would have liked to have done.

Got me to thinking though, how do you really know when you're getting old? I mean I am not having a young, mid-life crisis or anything it just feels like time passes too damn quickly.

2. WildSweet&Cool

I got hit with one a few days ago. My wife brought to my attention that I (age 38) am too old for the army (or armed services). That made me feel old.

And I'll be 39 next month (11th).

3. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

When you start looking like Fatty?

:p

4. igotask8board

igotask8board Member

I'm turning 20 and I feel pretty old. 30, 40...50.

Saved By The Bell and The Fresh Prince make me feel pretty old just because I watch the shows sometimes and they are so old. I remember watching them as a kid and laughing a lot. Now, I'm lucky if I laugh once every 10 episodes. This also makes me feel older.

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

You and I are in the exact same boat my friend. Turning 28 in June. 10 years HS Reunion (although I know I'll be in Virginia at the time). Graduated college in 2006 even though it didn't take me 8 years. Beginning my career. Thinking about marriage and family. Watching stuff that came out 20 years ago and thinking, "I'm getting old". For me, that though popped up while watching The Princess Bride. I went through 2 or 3 weeks where I kind of got depressed about it. I found myself wishing I was a kid again. Feeling that time moves by quickly and thinking that I've wasted a lot of my life even though I really haven't. But I've gotten over it. Life goes on.

6. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

when you stop listening to FM radio.

7. Yao Wink

Yao Wink Member

Haahaa ... A couple of months ago I mentioned that I had stopped listening to anything on FM radio (besides ESPN radio) to my fiance - she in turn called me old. :(

8. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

The more ear and nose hair you produce the older you are.

9. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

yeah my sister-in-law called me old for listening to the football game in the car on sunday (on 790 am)... she and i are both 25

10. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I realized I got old when I couldn't do all those flashy freak 360-flip-windmill-under-the-leg-tomahawk dunks anymore.

Also I made an attempt to watch cartoons the other day.. is it just me or is Tom and Jerry not as funny as I thought it was?

11. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Young at heart is what counts anyway, right?

(That's how you know you're getting there... you make excuses for yourself on a BBS.)

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

when you're the only person who recognizes DMC from Run DMC at the airport.

13. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Whatever. I'm 32 and don't act a day over....I don't know, really....but I've acted the same way for as long as I can remember, and I've been griping about shi++y music on the radio since the early '90's, at least.

I've heard that growing old is mandatory while growing up is optional. I don't even know what that means, really. I mean, I get it, but not really, you know? I'm not fighting anything. I complain about the same crap I've always complained about, and I love the same crap I've always loved.

I suppose I could point to that I brought red wine to see Cloverfield tonight instead of beer or Mad Dog like back in the day, but even then: red wine has been my preferred drink of choice since I was 11 or 12.

You're only as old as you feel.

14. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

You know you are getting old, when you realize people have been born after the year 2000.

Actually, the first time I felt old was when I realized that alot of these athletes in the NBA and NFL are younger than me like Mario Williams and Demeco Ryans.

15. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

When you look at the Playboy centerfold's DOB and it's 1986. WTF! Is this magazine even legal!

16. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I was at Dillards buying something for the wife. As I'm checking out, the young salesgirl asks me how old I am. I'm thinking that she's mighty young to be coming on to me - a married man. I tell her my age. She says, "Oh - I was just checking to see if you were eligible for the senior discount".

That my friends is how you know your are getting old.

17. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Ouch.

For me, it's just my general lack of interest in doing anything that involves leaving the house or large crowds. I prefer quiet, and my own comforts.

Edit: also, if you start posting like Deckard, you are old. :p

18. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Wait till somebody you think of as a peer calls you "sir."

I'm seeing a lot of second-generation NFLers... then i had the depressing thought that I had seen the Metcalfs (Terry and Eric) both play and retire... and it's been awhile since Eric retired!

Also, these NFL playoffs seem like 1962 Giants-Packers and Chargers-Patriots bring to mind such luminaries as YA Tittle, Bart Starr, Lance Alworth and Babe Parilli. I think I'm 9 again.

19. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

this is the one I hate, at 32 I'm older than probably 90% of professional athletes, and its a far bigger number in the NBA.

Its funny, when you turn 30 you realize how young professional athletes are. A 30 year old is a seasoned veteran, a 32 year old is past his prime. on a side note, it makes it even more incredible the way allen iverson still plays.