1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where can I get an Ethernet Splitter? (Locally)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ToyCen428, Dec 30, 2007.

1. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

[​IMG]

I'm looking for a place in Houston that sells ethernet splitters. Ive tried RadioShack, Circuit City, Best Buy, Lowes.... and nothing.

Where else can I check here in Houston?

2. vincentt

vincentt Member

fry's would probably have them

3. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Just get a switch with an uplink port.

5. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

+1

I know at New Egg you can get a switch (name brand I've never heard of before) for less than $10. I'm sure Fry's will have some there for around $35 or $40.

Best Buy will have switches as well but they will be list price and probably only Linksys or NetGear (which are both OK home networking brands).

6. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

thats kinda the point. I don't want a whole switch. I just need one little device (xbox 360) to share my internet connection w/ my desktop PC. (PC is 3 ft away from xbox)

I figure this baby will do the trick.

7. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

if these brands are only okay, what are good home networking brands

8. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Is it possible to share dial up dsl with this?

9. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

bumping this cause I always wanted to know too

10. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

not sure how good that original device is in the original post but the advantages of having a switch is so that you won't get data collisions that will cause dropped packets. You don't want that because your connection to the internet for both devices may become interrupted or sluggish.

A switch is the way to go.

11. FrancisFan

FrancisFan Contributing Member

I don't think that this device does what you want it to .... You need to buy a router. I do not believe that a switch will work in all situations such as this. If you are connected in a local network (in a dorm / apartment) then the switch may work (DHCP enabled and allowing more than one addy)...

If you have a cable / dsl modem you're essentially connecting two networks, the internet and your own local network (of the two devices). For this situation you'll want a router in order to communication.... the router will perform the needed address translations, routing, addressing, etc...

Plus routers are as cheap as switches (starting at $30-something) and can get wireless if you think you may want it in the future....

12. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I am an IT professional servicing home, medium size businesses as well as Fortune 500 companies. In 15 years, I've never seen anything like this actually used anywhere. I guess they exist ...but it's rare and probably not reliable.

Just go buy a switch or router for $50 at Best Buy or Fry's. Done.

You are chasing a mirrage with that little two port device.

13. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Yeah, that splitter isn't going to do you any good. It doesn't work like a phone line/coax cable.

Go for a router. Fry's has cheap-o ones on sale every few weeks for like 15 bucks. 30 if you don't feel like waiting.

14. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

Linksys, Netgear, D-Link are all good home network items. I meant they are only okay in a more professional sense. Actually Linksys is owned by Cisco and would be perfectly at home in small businesses as well.

15. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

I think Ill just get a wireless adapter for my desktop, and use its ethernet port to bridge connection to Xbox. I just dont wanna setup the router (I tried once before and I dont know if it was my PC or the router but I couldnt get the damn thing to work, bad bad experience)

16. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member