1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[XBOX 360] Mass Effect

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Chuck 4, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

I mentioned this game a few times in the Assassins Creed thread, but figured it was going to be a big enough game to get its own thread.

Played it for about two hours last night and it is quite impressive. If you enjoyed Star Wars: Knights of The Old Republic or Jade Empire, you are going to drool over this game.

The graphics are detailed and breathtaking, the voice acting and music is outstanding, and the story is like a big budget Sci-Fi film.

Much like the previously mentioned Bioware games, you still get to make the decisions that influence the overall effect of the game. The battle system has different levels of difficulty that you can set as well as auto leveling up or manually leveling up. You can modify all your weapons with enhancements you collect throught the game. Its a really deep game...

As I said, I only played for about two hours, but those two hours flew by quickly and I cant wait to play it for about an hour before the Rockets game tonight. I highly recommend this one and it looks like a late entry for Game of The Year in my book...

2. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

Exactly what I expected from Mass Effect. Your outlook sounds like exactly what I expected.

Quick question though; how are you playing Mass Effect early? Did a store sell you a copy early? Just curious.

3. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

I've watched some trailers and I was pretty impressed.
    Dough,I still wait to collect money to buy my XBOX360. :)
    When I get my Box I'll buy Mass effect for sure.
    Hey,can you give us some info about achievements and points?

4. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

It had a sticker on it that said DO NOT SELL UNTIL NOV. 20, 2007, but the dude at a Game Crazy off of Westheimer still sold it to me. Told a friend of mine and he went down there last night and they had already pulled it back off of the shelves. So, I guess I just got lucky at some moron's expense.

5. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Not quite sure what you mean. As I said, I only played about two hours and didnt really dive into all the stats, etc. It has a Journal, much like KOTOR or Oblivion because of all the side quests. Also something called a "Codex" that lists everything you have done or achieved thus far.

6. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Awesome luck on that dummy at Gamecrazy...

I reserved mine yesterday, looking forward to it!

7. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Gotta love those morans! Take advantage when you can. Tell him to try Toys R' Us, they are notorious for having morans working there and selling games before they should.

8. A00man

A00man Member

Yea, with this and Assassin's Creed, Mario, and Uncharted, November has been a damn good month for gaming.

Quick question: Is the combat somewhat similar to Ghost Recon? That's what the videos of the game look like.

9. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

I think thats a good comparison. You have a three person squad (thus far) and you can dictate their actions by giving commands. i.e. press left on the pad for them to rally to your side, press right for them to advance, back to duck and cover, etc..

It has been a good month for gaming, but not for my wallet, lol...

Kane & Lynch was a game I was excited about and it got pushed to the Christmas list...

10. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

That's a hell of a score to be able to pick it up this early, Chuck. You put some pictures on the gaming boards and they will go nuts. :D

Really looking forward to Mass Effect. I'm trying to have Mario done before then so I can devote whatever extra time I'm going to have to it.

11. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From what I have seen on videos, not only can you give general commands, but you can pause the action completely and issue detailed commands. As in, specifying an exact place for a certain character to go so they can take cover, etc. Actually, it looked kind of tedious from the video...but maybe it is not really necessary for most fights.

12. Nero

Nero Member

It's interesting that you would mention Jade Empire along with KotOR..

I absolutely LOVED Jade Empire - it's one of the few games of this type I ever actually stuck through to finish to the very end. However, even though I have tried on about 4 different occasions, I have just never been able to get into KotOR. I cannot STAND the combat system, and for that one reason alone, I have been leery of Mass Effect.

Since the combat systems for Jade and KotOR are so different, can you elaborate a bit more about this? If ME is closer to Jade than Knights, I will probably give it a try. But if it's mostly a clone of Knights, then I suspect that it's not going to be to my taste.

thx

13. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member

There are a ton of places here in NY that sell games prior to their release date.

Everyone I know here had Halo 3 going on the Friday before it's release...

A lot of the smaller places do it to compete with the Gamestops of the world.

14. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Rokkit, I will post some pics on here this evening.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

is this a must buy game?
    i usually hate RPGs unless their's lots of action. Are the graphics any good?

16. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Nero, Nothing like KOTOR. Similar to Jade except that you are controling a squad. KOTOR, you didnt really do any real-time fighting. It was turn based. Not so much here. Yes, you CAN pause during combat, give someone orders to run somewhere, throw a grenade, then start shooting, and even change weapons and fire with another. This isnt necessary for all fights though. I would imagine a boss fight or someone really really tough using this strategy. But it would get mighty tedious doing it for every fight.

I loved KOTOR, but I can understand your complaints. Its different from JE also, but in a good way. If you like either of those two games, I am confident you will enjoy this one.

17. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Graphics are ridiculous. Theres a couple of times where the facial expressions and look of the characters look like a real person.

Is it a must buy? That really just depends if youre into this kind of game. There is lots of story and reading, but it doesnt seem to be lacking in action at all so far. Remember, Ive only palyed the first two hours.

If you have played and liked any other Bioware games (Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire), then HELL YES! Buy it!

But I wouldnt classify this under RPG, myself. This isnt Final Fantasy or Oblivion here. There are several genres being represented. RPG, Action, Shooter, etc...

If its cool with everyone, check back at about 6:30 tonight and I will post some in game pictures.

18. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

i hope it's sorta like Oblivion meets KOTR with guns and in space...

19. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

That would be a closer comparison than calling it an RPG. Dont know if it is quite as open-ended as Oblivion though...thats a huge game...

20. OrangeCountyCA

I've been watching a lot of videos for Mass Effect on gametrailers.com

This game looks freaking amazing. Once I find a better job and save some money, I will definetly but a 360 and this game. No other game has made me want a 360 this bad before.

just look at the awesome combat
    <object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" id="gtembed" width="480" height="392"> <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" /> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /> <param name="movie" value="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=27903"/> <param name="quality" value="high" /> <embed src="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=27903" swLiveConnect="true" name="gtembed" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullScreen="true" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="392"></embed> </object>