1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Yao to Miss 3 Mandatory Days

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Phil, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Phil

Phil Contributing Member

To be honest, I'm actually pretty pleased with this decision by Yao. I'm proud when I see Deke's humanitarian efforts in Africa, and feel similarly to Yao taking these fines and doing this in his hometown. Screw media day and seeing pictures of Yao w/ the rest of the team...his priorities seem fine to me. I hope I'm not in the minority on this and I really hope this doesn't become negative news at ESPN or somewhere else...

Link

Yao to miss team events for Special Olympics opening
    All-Star center will skip media day, two practices to appear in Shanghai

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Rockets center Yao Ming will miss the team's Oct. 1 media day and first two days of practice to appear at the Special Olympics opening in Shanghai, Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said Thursday.

Yao will be fined for missing media day and the practices, but Morey would not say the amount of the media day fine. Media day attendance is a high priority for the NBA and fines can exceed $20,000. The fines for missing practices are $2,500 for the first practice and $5,000 for the second.

Yao is scheduled to join the Rockets in Austin on Oct. 4, in time for the third practice.

"Yao is not going to be at the start of training camp. He's basically taking an extremely prominent role in the Special Olympics in his hometown," Morey said. "It is a setback. We've been trying to avoid it. That's why we've been sending coaches over there, CD (former Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson) and others, to keep him up to speed,

"I don't think we can look at it as anything but a bit of a setback to getting ready. He will miss the first three days and we're aware he will be a bit jetlagged when he arrives, but he'll be ready to go. There is a mandatory fine for missing media day and practices, which he is absorbing."

Morey said Yao will not be playing in the China National team exhibition games that also could have made him late for the start of training camp, but that his role in the Special Olympics is very important in Shanghai.

"He would never want to miss training camp," Morey said. "He is the last player that wants to miss practice time. He is quite distraught over it. He had no choice. He understands we have to fine him. He is going to call his teammates and explain it to them."

#1 Phil, Sep 20, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2007
  2. Fuzzy Zoeller

Fuzzy Zoeller Member

There goes my new desktop background...

Thanks a lot, Yao :rolleyes:

(kidding)

3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

son of a b****. ;)

4. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

The Steve Francis effect is already kicking in full force. Yao skips media day and practice for the Special Olympics and Francis skipped practice for the Superbowl. Just like brothers.

5. lastopsuburb

lastopsuburb Member

Yao is a skipper! Lets trade him :)

6. YallMean

YallMean Member

As long as he is not missing becasue of playing Australian Bullets in some small remote town of China, I am fine. Special Olympics is a noble cause and good excuse.

7. Precision340

Precision340 Member

LOL... Lao Da is becoming a bad influence :D

8. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

This is the kind of thing the "government" criticized him for earlier this summer. It would be silly for us to criticize him for missing practice for the same reasons after we defended him so righteously!

9. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Interesting! :D

10. D-Lite

D-Lite Contributing Member

so this practice in austin.. will it be an open practice? i hope so!

11. zong

zong Member

Haha, he should be fined for more, but at least he is not going to miss lots like before.

12. zong

zong Member

No, Austin is in the Spurs area, so Rox practice can not be opened according to Jon in Chron.com.

13. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

still irresponsible for yao not to mention to morey that he might be late to training camp while morey was in china.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

no media day pictures of Yao or interviews of him by Clutch...grrrrr!!

15. LAYGO

LAYGO Contributing Member

Just get a cardboard cut out or the 2 guys that played him for the David Blaine commercials. Just make sure the cutout is 7'7 tall. (OMG, Yao is 6' tall!)

"Yao? or Yaos?"

16. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

"We've been trying to avoid it. That's why we've been sending coaches over there, CD (former Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson) and others, to keep him up to speed," Morey said.

What makes you think this is some big shock? :confused: Yao ain't exactly a sneaky dude. Just because they're only announcing it now doesn't mean it's a new development.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Good for Yao !

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Are you the same moron that posts in Feigen's blogs under the name "The Real Private"?

19. AkeemTheDreem86

I don't know why, but this made me laugh out loud...

20. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

Let Ye Li sub him. She is in town.