1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[espn]Goodell suspends Pacman

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tinman, Apr 10, 2007.

Tags:
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2832015
    [​IMG]
    Goodell suspends Pacman, Henry for arrests
    ESPN.com news services

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell handed out the first suspensions under his discipline policy, banning Adam "Pacman" Jones for the entire 2007 season and Chris Henry for eight regular-season games.

The two players are suspended without pay for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy and engaging in conduct detrimental to the league on numerous occasions, the NFL announced.

After they serve their suspensions, each player must apply for reinstatement.

"We must protect the integrity of the NFL," Goodell said. "The highest standards of conduct must be met by everyone in the NFL because it is a privilege to represent the NFL, not a right. These players, and all members of our league, have to make the right choices and decisions in their conduct on a consistent basis."

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

3. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Wow, took him out for the full season. Surprising but good move IMO by Goodell

4. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

yes f the Titans and f pacman

(serious question) odds he will be killed or jailed without any structure in his life?

5. Buck Turgidson

Good for the NFL.

Of course, for Pacman a year of free time without the structure of the NFL might just be the end of him. Hopefully he can turn his life around.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

That's a shame.

:)

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I do agree with this.

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i was hoping they wouldnt go easy on him. good for the league...that guy is a scumbag. Whats even worse, is that i have a feeling he will not even learn from this and will probably get into more trouble.

9. Buck Turgidson

He may be doing it from a Las Vegas prison though, and that bouncer who got paralyzed may drain his bank account a bit.

But it's never too late to start doing right. Even for a scumbag like him.

10. Steve in HTown

matt schuab should have at least 2 great games now

11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

The ENTIRE season???? Holy ****! I don't see how the players union would be okay with this precedent. I'm all for it, but banning for a year over incidents in advance of convictions? Wow....

Evan

12. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Justice was served in the NFL. Good riddance, Pacman.

13. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

you don't take your money back after throwing it to the strippers. he got off easy.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

this is crap, if they suspend Pacman for a whole year, then Ricky Williams should get an apology. He didn't hurt anybody. Nobody got shot. Why doesnt the commisioner suspend Snoop Dogg or Dave Chappelle too???

Apologize to Ricky NFL!!!

15. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Don't get me wrong - I think he did everything he's being connected too, including the shooting of the bouncer. I think he deserves to be banned for a year for what he's done.

But stepping back, this is a surprising precedent - if the Vegas incident is a major part of this year-long ban, and he hasn't even been brought up on charges over it - how wide is the NFL's jurisdiction? They can arbitrarily suspend guys over an incident that looks bad?

Look at the bogus Duke rape case - 3 kids got their lives ruined when the media jumped the gun and all over them because someone lied and a shameless DA played along to drum up the black vote in his election. Don't forget how it went down. Everyone, including ESPN, went on a witchhunt to crucify that entire team. Say that sort of thing occurs in the NFL - a player gets a major suspension when a golddigger files bogus charges in hopes of getting money. Is that right?

I'd like to see the legalese behind this.

One more thought - David Stern is going to be all about installing this into the NBA's CBA over the summer. The ability to ban guys like "Shoot Em Up" Jackson for nightclub incidents? He'd be on cloud nine.

Evan

16. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i was joking. i agree with everything you said though.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

Pacman needs to apologize to Vince. Now Vince has to play corner and return kicks.
    Thanks Pacman.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

no way that lasts. the guy hasn't even been convicted. I don't think he's ever been convicted of anything.

19. Major

Major Member

The players' union was the one that was pushing stricter behavior enforcement, with the support of its members. I think players got tired of being looked at as thugs/punks/etc.

20. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol

the conviction is irrelavent. the issue is his conduct in general...this isnt his first run-in with the law.

the nfl can do what they want (the players union doesn run the league like baseball).