1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How to get a bigger....crowd

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htownbball, Mar 21, 2007.

1. htownbball

htownbball Member

There's already a thread on how crappy the attendance was tonight, so let's come up with some ideas on how to draw some people from their couches and get them to the arena.

We need more entertainment to get fans pumped up before games and celebrate a win, or something to get fans' minds off a loss. My idea would be to have some music and a bunch of street vendors selling sports memorabilia and collectables, food, random stuff, basically like a street market that most big urban cities have before/during/after games. Boston and Yawkey Way during/after Red Sox games is a fine example.

Most people just go to the game and then go home. There's nothing exciting to do, and maybe this could draw some families to the games so theres something to do after the game.

It's just an idea that I got from Fenway Park, if you have any ideas, let's here it.

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

the thing is the seats are mostly sold and i'd bet that the people are there too. we need to find a way to make the lounges less comfortable so maybe these guys will get in their seats.

it sucks looking at it during the regular season but the playoffs will absolutely be rocking.

3. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Everybody Clap Your Hands!!!

:confused:

*yawn*

*continues sitting on hands*

4. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

Players and coaches buy 18,000 season tickets for 18,000 Red Rowdies.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The beers that the people walk around the stands and sell should be significantly cheaper than those at the bar. They should offer margaritas via wandering backpacking sellers too. Upper levels are surprisingly full. Its the expensive seats that are left vacant. Its disgusting...

6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

18,000 Red Rowdies buys 18,000 tickets.

7. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

LOL... and the players play for FREE

8. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

Maybe if we started playing MAVS games in the arena more people would come... :p

9. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

how about this, JUST SHOW UP, i do my part, just let everybody else do theres

you can do so much for fans/people to show up. I'll tell you this, I'd rather have a low attendance full of fans, that a) know the team, b) know the players names other than Tmac/Yao, c) KNOW THAT WE ARE GOOD and doesn't say that players "suck" for missing ONE SHOT, than have the place packed where people b**** about you standing up.

there is so much the Rockets can do for people to show up, almost every other game is a promotion in which people can go to the game for like $20 or less per person, which includes food/drinks and is in a pretty damn good seat. Its just hard to satisfy your average fan to show up at the arena. In most cases they are trying to attract new fans.

I have the cheapest season tickets and have made my mark as a fan, just ask anybody on here. Hell, I've tried to give out a tix for a game last month, yea, it was vs. Boston but IT WAS A FREE TIX and nobody bulged.

Also, just to show the facts that its hard to get people on board with the Rockets, the free trip for first time season ticket holders, it started last April and they didn't get to 500 till like September. A FREE FREAKING TRIP TO MIAMI nonetheless, and took FIVE months to attract 500 new season ticket holders. That trip was one of the best EXPERIENCE EVER, having 500 other fans at a visitors arena was pretty freaking surreal.

The Rowdy tryouts in late August, again, THIRTY FREE SEASON TIXS were being given out, and only 90 showed up. My ticket sales rep said that they were expecting AT LEAST 200, but DIDNT GET HALF OF THAT, hell we have Rowdies on here that can confirm that.

Truth is, the Rockets as an organization have tried, but nobody is responding. The Rockets have done their part, we just need to do ours.

#9 Dave2000, Mar 21, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  10. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

sorry, but even i dont clap my hands...thats gotta be the most annoying thing ever...and i prefer when people dont clap their hands because MOST people are off beat anyways...its annoying

11. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

when we play the mavs, half the arena is filled with fake mavs fans...

12. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

Free limo service from my house to the arena and back would get me going to all the games in no time.

13. LAYGO

LAYGO Contributing Member

If I lived in Houston, I would be a season ticket holder, alas, the only times I've been to game in Houston is due to free tix. I've been to a couple of Rox vs Mavs games in Dallas, proudly wearing my Rox jersey.

14. crums17

crums17 Contributing Member

Haha, I totally agree. I hate that song. It's the only time when watching a game on tv when I feel glad about not being there.

15. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

More effort could be made to involve the spirit if the community of the City Of Houston.

16. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

i say.. split up all the RPD and have them sit in different sections in regular seats, uppers and lowers. Fans will never know if they will have an RPD sitting next to them. Bet that will help.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Just keep winning.

18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

A Tuesday game vs. one of the worst teams in the Eastern Conference aren't typically going to be your most popular games. We've had a lot of sell outs this season and attendance has been very good for the most part.

19. jaggedpole

jaggedpole Member

I have an idea. How about cross-advertising like we get each of our top baseball and football players in commercial saying "I am a Houston Rocket!" and it would end with a question "are you?" sort of like tiger woods thing.

See we all know this is a football and baseball town and we need to portray that this is about our city of Houston and that everybody is in it together. Those baseball and football only fans would be a good demographic since they're already sportsfans to begin with.We just need a way for them to connect to our sport.

20. littlefish_220

Fundamental solution: winning and lower price