ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Rockets honored Dwight agreement with agent in letting Parsons out of his contract

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > NBA Dish

How is Shaq so fast?
Tags:  basketball, jobs, nba, shaquille o'neal Tags
haven is offline Old 03-03-2007, 01:05 AM   #1
haven
haven is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Oct 1999
Member: #909
He's out of shape and elderly in NBA terms. He's probably got more body fat than a lot of people with desk jobs. But when he's in the paint, he's ridiculously explosive. There are good guards in the game who can't move as lightning fast for a short period of time.

How do his muscles do it? Is he a medical miracle? Others of similar size/shape/age move like molasses. Heck, Deke takes great care of himself - and is ripped - but is obviously behind the pace at times.

I'm amazed. It's just not fair. What gives? How does this old fatty defy the laws of physics?

Sponsored Link
durvasa is online now Old 03-03-2007, 01:14 AM   #2
durvasa
Contributing Member
durvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure golddurvasa is Hakeem Olajuwon -- reputation is pure gold
Since: Feb 2006
Member: #16420
I don't think he's actually as fat as he might look.

And, yes, he's just a freak of nature.

aaaa is offline Old 03-03-2007, 01:17 AM   #3
aaaa
aaaa is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #5132
I actually think he's lost quite a bit of speed at this age -- but you're right, there are moments when he's still very explosive.

How about compared to Dwight Howard?

whoisray is offline Old 03-03-2007, 01:42 AM   #4
whoisray
Contributing Member
whoisray is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #5471
Shaq is not fat. I believe he's got a 7% body fat.

krnxsnoopy is offline Old 03-03-2007, 02:24 AM   #5
krnxsnoopy
Contributing Member
krnxsnoopy is James Harden -- racking up the pointskrnxsnoopy is James Harden -- racking up the pointskrnxsnoopy is James Harden -- racking up the pointskrnxsnoopy is James Harden -- racking up the pointskrnxsnoopy is James Harden -- racking up the pointskrnxsnoopy is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: May 2005
Member: #16206
Shaq has a VERY LOW body fat %.. He's all muscle, with little to none fat.

dharocks is offline Old 03-03-2007, 02:25 AM   #6
dharocks
Contributing Member
dharocks is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heredharocks is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heredharocks is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heredharocks is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heredharocks is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heredharocks is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heredharocks is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved heredharocks is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Jun 2003
Member: #12819
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisray
Shaq is not fat. I believe he's got a 7% body fat.
That can't be right. There were years with the Lakers when he was reportedly around 15% body fat around the beginning of the season before rounding into shape over the course of the year.

rockbox is offline Old 03-03-2007, 03:36 AM   #7
rockbox
Contributing Member
rockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved hererockbox is Calvin Murphy -- loud and loved here
Since: Jul 2000
Member: #1746
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharocks
That can't be right. There were years with the Lakers when he was reportedly around 15% body fat around the beginning of the season before rounding into shape over the course of the year.
That is about right. However you have to remember that the average man has around 25% body fat and if you are below 10% you should have a six pack.

If you ever seen him in person you would realize that he is not fat at all but very athletic looking. He also happens to a be a freak of nature in terms of speed.

You also have to keep it in perspective. Yes he is as heavy as most NFL lineman but he spreads that weight over another 6-12 inches of body.

What is more unbelievable to me is how Dream held his ground and even dominated Shaq on occasion and he gave up 3 inches and over 50 pounds to Shaq. That just shows you how strong Dream was for his weight.

Go_Korea is offline Old 03-03-2007, 07:06 AM   #8
Go_Korea
Go_Korea is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously goodGo_Korea is Jeremy Lin -- starting to get dangerously good
Since: Mar 2006
Member: #16488
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharocks
first season with miami he said hes 10% body fat, and hes tired of people saying hes fat.

Achilleus is offline Old 03-03-2007, 07:19 AM   #9
Achilleus
Achilleus is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Aug 2003
Member: #13855
Quote:
Originally Posted by haven
He's probably got more body fat than a lot of people with desk jobs.
Dude, that is a pretty ridiculous statement. Is your television blurry? Shaq is no where close to being fat. He's in great shape right now.

Achilleus is offline Old 03-03-2007, 08:06 AM   #10
Achilleus
Achilleus is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Aug 2003
Member: #13855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilleus
Dude, that is a pretty ridiculous statement. Is your television blurry? Shaq is no where close to being fat. He's in great shape right now.
^

Not meant to sound hostile. "Dude" is just some awful colloquialism crap I can't stop using.

Arrgh...

But yeah, Shaq is in great shape. Come on...

Sooner423 is offline Old 03-03-2007, 08:13 AM   #11
Sooner423
Contributing Member
Sooner423 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineSooner423 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineSooner423 is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: May 2002
Member: #3753
I've seen him doing "Dot Drills" on several occasions on tv. It is supposed to be great for improving quickness. Here's a great article on improving quickness and it also has a link to a simple dot drill routine.

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/...etBadFeet.html

Kelly Baggett is a genius by the way. If any of you are looking into starting a workout program, read his articles.

Rockets Dynasty is offline Old 03-03-2007, 08:51 AM   #12
Rockets Dynasty
Rockets Dynasty is Tim Ohlbrecht -- no reputation yet at all
Since: Jun 2006
Member: #18126
Supposedly Riley said Shaq is down to about 315 right now.

During those Lakers title years he was about 360.

So there's no way he's still at 15% body fat.

peterlake144 is offline Old 03-03-2007, 09:36 AM   #13
peterlake144
peterlake144 is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Nov 2003
Member: #15503
Quote:
Originally Posted by haven

I'm amazed. It's just not fair. What gives? How does this old fatty defy the laws of physics?

Shaq is a freak of nature... love him or hate him, he's a once in a generation specimen and an all time NBA great...

tigermission1 is offline Old 03-03-2007, 10:29 AM   #14
tigermission1
Contributing Member
tigermission1 is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Aug 2002
Member: #6660
The biggest myth in the world is that Shaq is "fat"...he's not even close to being fat right now. He kept himself in great shape during his injury. He's probably the strongest NBA player there ever was. The guy is ripped, and he can bench press his Escalade (not really, but you get the point).

He's still a great player, you saw what he did last night to Detroit. There is a reason why he has 4 rings and counting. I still say there isn't a single player today that impacts winning big more than Shaq does, regardless of age or position.

He's an incredible specimen, I strongly doubt we will ever see another player who has the combination of freakish strength and quickness/athleticism that Shaq displayed throughout his career. Even Dwight Howard, with his freakish body, pales in comparison to how overwhelmingly strong Shaq is.

Oh, another thing...the guy is 35 and he can still move like that.

Juwan Howard is my idol!

Rockets Dynasty is offline Old 03-03-2007, 10:34 AM   #15
Rockets Dynasty
Rockets Dynasty is Tim Ohlbrecht -- no reputation yet at all
Since: Jun 2006
Member: #18126
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermission1
The biggest myth in the world is that Shaq is "fat"...he's not even close to being fat right now. He kept himself in great shape during his injury. He's probably the strongest NBA player there ever was. The guy is ripped, and he can bench press his Escalade (not really, but you get the point).

He's still a great player, you saw what he did last night to Detroit. There is a reason why he has 4 rings and counting. I still say there isn't a single player today that impacts winning big more than Shaq does, regardless of age or position.

He's an incredible specimen, I strongly doubt we will ever see another player who has the combination of freakish strength and quickness/athleticism that Shaq displayed throughout his career. Even Dwight Howard, with his freakish body, pales in comparison to how overwhelmingly strong Shaq is.

Oh, another thing...the guy is 35 and he can still move like that.

Actually Wilt and Kevin Willis were both stronger, at least accoridng to official weight lifting records.

LCII is offline Old 03-03-2007, 11:04 AM   #16
LCII
Contributing Member
LCII is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneLCII is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneLCII is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneLCII is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneLCII is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneLCII is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Nov 2006
Member: #20646
not only is he fast for his size, he's quite flexible (watch the shaq dancing video :P) This man is a physical freak

tigermission1 is offline Old 03-03-2007, 11:07 AM   #17
tigermission1
Contributing Member
tigermission1 is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: Aug 2002
Member: #6660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockets Dynasty
Actually Wilt and Kevin Willis were both stronger, at least accoridng to official weight lifting records.
But it's not just weight-lifting, I am talking about how freakishly strong his whole body is.

Juwan Howard is my idol!

Pocket Rockets is offline Old 03-03-2007, 11:27 AM   #18
Pocket Rockets
Pocket Rockets is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jul 2006
Member: #18989
umm realize he has played only 400 minutes this season....wait until the playoffs and see if he resorts back to last playoffs.

"You should be scoring at will. You should be scoring easy. Easy. They are in trouble on defense. They are in trouble on offense. They have no answer. No answer."

"I feel a little bit different. I feel his heart." - Yao

Shroopy2 is offline Old 03-04-2007, 05:32 AM   #19
Shroopy2
Contributing Member
Shroopy2 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchShroopy2 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchShroopy2 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchShroopy2 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchShroopy2 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchShroopy2 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchShroopy2 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchShroopy2 is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Feb 2003
Member: #10896
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCII
not only is he fast for his size, he's quite flexible (watch the shaq dancing video :P) This man is a physical freak
Seriously. More than anything, after watching the Shaq dances I figured the Heat are poised for another possible title run lol.

He's slower from natural aging but you can see he's NOT some fat beluga now:

Asian Sensation is offline Old 03-04-2007, 06:13 AM   #20
Asian Sensation
Asian Sensation is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchAsian Sensation is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchAsian Sensation is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchAsian Sensation is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchAsian Sensation is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchAsian Sensation is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchAsian Sensation is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchAsian Sensation is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Oct 1999
Member: #924
I think people perceive Shaq as being fat because he's so much bigger than the rest of the players in the league especially when watching them on tv. In person most of the players are skinny as a twig. I remember when I met Sheed a few years back and he was tall and lanky as hell yet he looks bigger on tv. Hell, even Zach Randolph looks skinny in person.