1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harrington hating it in Vancouver.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by sabirk, Jan 22, 2000.

1. sabirk

sabirk Contributing Member

This is from the Vancouver Sun . . .

Harrington doesn't like Vancouver, and says so

Gary Kingston Vancouver Sun
    He's been called an idiot, David Duchovny in short pants and a taller Steve Francis.

Vancouver Grizzlies forward Othella Harrington couldn't care less. He doesn't like rainy, dreary Vancouver, isn't the least bit shy about saying so and doesn't think that should be held against him as long he does his job on the court.

"Do I really care what people call me?" Harrington said Friday. "I just want them to appreciate what I do on the court."

The soft-spoken, first-year Grizzlie set off a firestorm of criticism when he suggested after Thursday night's game that confirmation the NBA team would not be moved to St. Louis made for "a sad day in Vancouver."

Radio stations ran the clip repeatedly, often with acidic commentary. Grizzlies' fans flooded the team's switchboard with angry calls.

Harrington, 25 and a native of Jackson, Miss., said he meant no disrespect to fans, "but I was hoping for a move."

Nearly from the moment he arrived in Vancouver after being acquired in an off-season trade from Houston for, among others, reluctant draft pick Francis, Harrington has made it clear he's not enamoured with the weather, the culture and the high Canadian taxes.

"How many people have been here and said the same things I'm saying?" Harrington said Friday after a practice at GM Place. "It's not a prerequisite that I like it here."

Harrington said he has been treated well by fans and conceded he's found some good restaurants and had the odd good time - New Year's in Whistler, for instance - but just hasn't been able to fully adjust to life in the Great White North.

"It's a beautiful city - when you can see it," said Harrington with a laugh. "Maybe I'm spoiled. I broke in in Houston ... sunny weather all the time, got comfortable, then I had to move to a place where it rains all the time. It's so dreary, you don't want to go outside, whereas in Houston, everyday right now I'd wear shorts, flip-flops, cut-off T-shirt, have my top down."

Harrington's teammates needled him mercilessly at practice Friday. And GM Stu Jackson got in his own barb: "I told him they called me this morning and told me he'd been relieved of his duties at the Vancouver Chamber of Commerce. It's a sad day."

Jackson said that while he wished Harrington wasn't so vocal in his dislike of the city, he wasn't about to muzzle him.

"He's got every right to offer his opinion," said Jackson. "He did not choose to live here. It wasn't his choice and we have to respect that and be somewhat tolerant of that. Is that the view of the Grizzlies? Absolutely not ... but the fact he said it, there's not a darn thing you can do about it."

Harrington, who shares a Kitsilano area condominium with his wife, Shannon, and two dogs, declined to answer directly when asked if he wants to be traded.

Jackson said there is no way he'll trade the four-year veteran. The 6'9" 235-pound power forward has been a solid contributor, averaging 13.9 points and 7.6 rebounds per game.

I guess Francis isn't the only one receiving grief from Vancouverites.

2. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Man.. I feel sorry for Othella my fella. I think we need to trade and get this guy back.

3. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

if othella doesn't like vancover do yall see the p ossiblility of us acquiring him? maybe trade walt or someone. did walt like playing in canada?

4. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

i'm just seeing this may haunt us. i mean he was loyal and signed what a 7 year deal? we traded dickerson, price, carr, and othela for francis i dont' even count massenburg as being a rocket hardly. i ?think francis is great but did we give up to much?

5. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

No way,

Dickerson & Othella are the only ones worth anything.

I wouldn't trade Francis back to Vancouver for Dickerson & Othella, although I would like to have those two back.

------------------
    Sir Charles is DA MAN.

6. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Oh, this is exactly what I wanted to hear.

No we didn't give up too much for Francis.

I highly doubt we'll be able to trade for Othella during the season, but the offseason...maybe.

I want Othella back!!

------------------
    The key for the Rockets is a winning attitude and mentality which can only be had by winning basketball games.

[This message has been edited by RocketsPimp (edited January 23, 2000).]

7. Christopher

Christopher Member

We gave up to much to get Francis!!!
    LOL
    Yeah,lets just give him back.After all he's only going to be the best guard in the NBA.Id rather have an ok SG and a PF who would be on our bench any day.

Now that that is out of the way......

Harrington was a good player when he was here but he didnt ever reach the potentual we thought he would.We are getting better numbers from a rookie PF ATM.

As for Dickerson I really liked him and was dissapointed when we traded him.....only at first though.
    Then I saw Francis play and forgot all about Dickerson.

Lets face it we got a HUGE steal in getting Francis,he was well worth giving up all of them players for.

------------------
    Your Starting Power Forward for the Clutch City Allstars

My Expert Opinion Of Steve Francis:Mate he is a special player!

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Though Harrington doesn't like it in Vancouver, I'm glad he's been professional enough to not whine and pout and refuse to play, or demand a trade. And he's still great on the court.

9. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Barkley made similar comments about Houston when he came here. He liked the Rockets organization but didn't care much for the city -- except for the T-bars -- and said he was keeping his heart in Philly and his home in Phoenix. He said he'd let his play on the court do the talking, and he did just that.

10. outlaw

outlaw Member

"Harrington was a good player when he was here but he didnt ever reach the potentual we thought he would.We are getting better numbers from a rookie PF ATM."

This is ridiculous. His first two seasons Othella was stuck playing behind Charles and Kevin Willis.

Othella 98-99: 41 games, 22.0 minutes, 9.8 points, 6.0 rebounds, 50% shooting

Kenny 99-00: 31 games, 19.7 minutes, 7.0 points, 5.2 rebounds, 40% shooting

[This message has been edited by outlaw (edited January 25, 2000).]

11. Christopher

Christopher Member

Thomas has a jump shot and can grab boards.He has the ability to score alot of points.

Othella is starting now but still isnt doing much.

There is no argument.Othella DID NOT reach the hights we thought he would.Not here and not in Vancouver.

------------------

12. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

Christopher, I don't agree at all. Nobody, us included, thought he could be more than a very good back-up PF in the NBA. He has shown himself to be a great back-up, or servicable starting PF. This is a tribute to what a great work ethic can do to modest talent and modest height. Of course we still made a great trade, but Othella is proving he is a better player than just about anyone thought he would be.

13. outlaw

outlaw Member

i think Othella is having a fine season especially this is his first as a starter. He is scoring 14 points per game as the 3rd or 4th option on offense and getting a respectable 7.5 rebounds. NO one said he would be the next Barkley. I don't know why you expected so much from him considering he was a 2nd round pick.

14. Christopher

Christopher Member

Many said Harrington would be a starter for the Rockets.The fact is he is doing ok on a very very bad team.

------------------

15. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

If I am to choose from Kenny Thomas and Othella, I have to choose Kenny. Why? He has a stronger move inside, better foot work, and nicer jumpers. Yes, he doesn't have the height and the nice baby hook shots owned by Othella, but Kenny has more fire.

One of the things I can think of is that Othella had a very good work ethic while in Houston. And I miss him!!!

I still think Stevie is a steal! We didn't give up too much for him, I think.

[This message has been edited by Rocketability (edited January 26, 2000).]

16. brahma rocket

brahma rocket Member

i think francis is great but did we give up to much?[/B][/QUOTE]

thats a joke right?

------------------
    johnny "red" kerr:i'm glad the bulls did'nt draft steve francis.

dan roan: why!!!!!

johnny red kerr:because he would forever be compared to michael jordan.

17. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

Obviously we all miss the guys, but be serious!

Did we give up too much?

Come on! We have one of the best point guards in the league. Vancouver has an inconsistent guard in Dickerson and a good backup PF at best.
    Michael hasn't really improved that much. He still disappears in some games. He unreliable. I trly dislike that in a player. I can't get his playoff performance out of my head...
    I'm sorry to say, but the only thing that's keeping Harrington in the NBA is his work ethic. He doesn't have much talent at all. I love the guy, but I'm glad about how it all turned out.

I was happy with the trade when I thought we were getting an Allen Iverson type player. I was willing to put up with all his bs when he came over.
    You can imagine how I feel now. Steve is much more valuable than an Allen Iverson as he is willing to pass the rock. Heck, he's actually pretty damn good at it too.

Guys, think about the guys over in Vancouver. You think they're happy about the trade? No way. They now know that Francis is a great guy, not the a** they thought he was. I think they would be pretty pissed if they read this.
    I thought some of you guys were crazy when you said we gave up to much back when the trade happened, but now? How can you even consider it??

------------------
    Francis+Charles+Dream-Pippen= Rockets 2000 NBA
    Champions

18. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

I definately don't think we gave up too much for Francis. But I honestly believe the Grizz did the best out of a very bad situation. They goofed up big by drafting Francis in the first place, they would have been much better off with drafting Odom - who actually wanted to play in Vancouver. Francis on the other hand gave the team several warnings to not draft him, yet they still did. Of course that doesn't excuse his imature behaviour though.

As for their part of the trade. Dickerson has been inconsistent yet sometimes awesome. He's starting to become more consistent and has really turned it on as of late. Othella on the other hand started off real good but has slowed a notch the last few games. While Carr and Price have had very, very minimal roles with the team.

Azim da Dream

------------------
    No guts, no glory, no brain, same story.