1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Detroit News] Battier dreams of finishing career with Pistons

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AggieDentist, Nov 19, 2006.

1. AggieDentist

AggieDentist Member

didn't see this posted anywhere..

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061119/SPORTS0102/611190346/1004

Sunday, November 19, 2006
    Pistons: Notebook

Battier 'dreams' of finishing career with Pistons

Vincent Goodwill / Special to The Detroit News

AUBURN HILLS — Coming home isn’t easy for everybody. But for Shane Battier, seeing The Palace is a welcome sight and perhaps a glimpse into the not-so-distant future.

Battier, who attended Birmingham-Detroit Country Day, is in his first season with the Houston Rockets after being traded from Memphis for the draft rights to Rudy Gay.

He still is getting used to a new city and system.

“It’s difficult, uprooting and moving everything,” he said. “But you have to adjust.”

Battier, who is averaging nine points a game, down from his 10.5 career average, was drafted sixth overall by the Grizzlies in 2001.

But the former Duke standout always envisioned putting on a different cap than the one handed to him by commissioner David Stern.

“Detroit had the ninth pick that year,” said Battier, who scored nine points and had six rebounds in Saturday night's 104-92 loss to the Pistons. “I really wanted to come here. It would have been a dream come true.”

Rodney White, who the Pistons ended up selecting ninth, now is out of the league.

Could Battier still end up as a Piston?

Battier let in on a secret: He wants to finish his career where he felt it should have started.

“I would love to finish my career here,” he said. “That’s my dream now, even though I’m happy the way things have gone so far.”

Battier spent the summer playing for Team USA in Japan, but he also found time to settle some roots back home.

He and his wife, Heidi, bought a condo in metro Detroit, and he plans to move back here full-time once his playing days are over.

“I finally wised up and got a place here this summer,” he said. “But I want to walk away before the game kicks me out.”

On a separate note, Battier said he felt the loss of Michigan legendary football coach Bo Schembechler, who died Friday at the age of 77. Battier’s wife’s grandfather was Bob Ufer, the late legendary Michigan announcer.

“So we are a Michigan family through and through,” Battier said. “We are saddened by the news and he was a big part of the tradition of Michigan football and he touched and affected the lives of so many people in such a positive way.”

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

OK, Battier for Billups - make it happen.

3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I have absolutely no problem with trading his intangibles for Mr. Billups and his tangibles.

Rasheed Wallace would not be bad either.

Knowing JVG though, he is probably salivating at Lindsey hunter.

4. Omer

Omer Member

Traitor!

This only means he thew the game for us, wanted the Pistons to win so we lost!

5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

So before McGrady retires, Before Yao's on the downside of 30 and before Battier opts out to test the Detroit waters, Rockets NEED to work toward getting the rings NOW....(as though they're not doing it already). Battier is part of the win-now philosophy instead of being a future piece anyways. Just as long as he helps us get the championship hardware while he's here.

6. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Billups, Sheed, Tayshaun or Rip. I'd take any of these guys for Battier.

7. kryten128

kryten128 Member

Battier, T-Mac, Yao, and Van Gundy

for

Billups, Sheed, Tayshaun, Rip, and Bill Laimbeer.

8. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

Battier, Rafer, and Juwan for Chauncy, Rip, and Sheed.

Make it happen!

9. fuzzy88

fuzzy88 Member

Not to continue blaming JVG, but do you think JVG's style are making it NOT fun for players? Do you notice that almost all players that used to be flamboyant, upbeat, and full of potential, but once coming to JVG's, became droopy, old, and tired very quickly?

Just a thought.

10. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

If JVG were to kiss a princess, she would turn into a frog!

11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oh god. That would be one of the all time great teams ever.

12. fuzzy88

fuzzy88 Member

Not when the team leader (read: JVG) can't motivate the team. :p

13. jaredg777

jaredg777 Contributing Member

Why would anyone buy a condo in downtown Detroit?

14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

To collect insurance money.

15. solid

solid Contributing Member

Straight up for any of the Piston starters. Dreams can come true!

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

He's a fan favorite. You'll love his loyalty.

I'd love a legit 3rd option.

17. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind Tayshaun (and not only because he's a former UK player and my second favorite player behind Chuck) ... he does "the intangibles" that Shane does and can score more points.

Not that its likely to happen but I hope Shane does get to play where he wants. I am sure most people would want to play for the team they grew up watching.

18. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Yea...Battier for Nazr!!!

19. qiz264

qiz264 Member

It is possible that SB feels tired physically and mentally and started to be a little bit sick of JVG...

20. aamir

aamir Member

In a heartbeat. It's amazing how any of the four would fill a huge void on our team.