1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JVG: Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Nov 17, 2006.

Tags:
  1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I just wanted to get this in a poll. In general, is JVG an above average coach for this team? Or should we seriously consider replacing him?

Based on all the posts, it seems like most of you really dislike what JVG is doing with the team. Personally, after a 6-3 start, I just don't get it.

2. Painting_Shade

Painting_Shade Contributing Member

lol are you counting? yay.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

There's a poll?? :p

4. durvasa

Cool. But enter your vote in the poll.

5. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

after the last couple of games where he totally screwed up and made horrible decisions, I am all in for a new Coach.. say no to GUNDY!!

6. HoopsFancy

HoopsFancy Member

a definite YAY

7. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

btw, guys.. before you choose yay, go to the "post game quotes" thread and read what JVG had to say... I bet u would change your mind

here's my favorite:
    (on the similarity of the meltdown after 3rd quarter in San Antonio and CHicago games) "no, no similarity at all"

no similarity?? brilliant!!

8. durvasa

Maybe he was being sarcastic.

9. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

I like JVG, i think he's a good coach

10. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

no, that's not sarcasm:

(on any similarities between the last 2 games played) "Not similar at all.
    We, obviously, have some trouble right now closing out games. We’re doing some good things to get ahead. Our team speed is problematic, our perimeter and pick and roll defense is something people are picking up on. It’s up to me to find some better answers and yet at the same time, if you had looked at our schedule coming into the year, you were down a couple of guys and you had played your last 3 games against Miami, San Antonio and Chicago, who many predicted to win it, and you won 2 of the 3, regardless of how the game ended, you would say they’re doing some good things. (But) I’m not happy at all with not playing up to our capabilities.”

that's called: pure stupidity..

11. durvasa

What in that quote indicates it wasn't sarcasm? And what in that quote is "pure stupidity"?

You're losing a lot of credibility with all these JVG sucks rants. At least make a sensible argument.

12. Outlier

Outlier Member

He's an ok coach, but there's too many haters that post around here just to bash JVG, which is totally annoying. They nitpick and nitpick, it's like a woman you can't satisfy no matter what you do.

13. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

NAY!

JVG was the right choice when he was hired. Rudy's last teams lacked discipline and the Rockets went with JVG to correct that.

But with the emergence of Yao, and the aquisition of T-Mac, JVG is now a horrible fit for this team. It's doubtful the Rockets would hire him today with the team that we have. Unfortunately due to his contract, they (and we) are stuck with him.

14. hotblooded

hotblooded Member

JVG is a very good coach

every single coach will have his flaws

JVG is obviously not perfect ..but come on we can have it all our way

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I'm undecided.

16. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

it's very clear this is not sarcasm.. my analyzing skills are pretty good.. :D
    he went on explaining his irrational opinion... JVG is out of his mind..

read the rest of the quotes, they are pretty cool...

"I really liked how our bench played tonight"

yeah, they got outscored 56-29 ... now this is not sarcasm..

17. Outlier

Outlier Member

Wasn't it "He's not the right coach because he can't develop players" in the first place? :rolleyes:

18. durvasa

"Not similar at all.
    We, obviously, have some trouble right now closing out games. We’re doing some good things to get ahead. Our team speed is problematic, our perimeter and pick and roll defense is something people are picking up on. It’s up to me to find some better answers and yet at the same time, if you had looked at our schedule coming into the year, you were down a couple of guys and you had played your last 3 games against Miami, San Antonio and Chicago, who many predicted to win it, and you won 2 of the 3, regardless of how the game ended, you would say they’re doing some good things. (But) I’m not happy at all with not playing up to our capabilities.”

Where in that quote did he explain how they aren't similar? He doesn't differentiate between the two games at all. Are you purposely being obtuse?

He said first half. And Gordon (who came off the bench for the Bulls) scored 30 points in the second half by himself. This is why I said you're losing credibility with these rants. They are dishonest.

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i'm undecided.

in his first year i was pleased with how the team performed in the season and in the playoffs.

in his second year i was very pleased with how the team performed in the season. in the playoffs, we should've closed out that series. i'm not sure who (if anyone) is to blame.

last year doesn't count against anyone except tmac and his health.

this season, so far i'm pleased with how the team looks. it will come down to the playoffs. do we get out of the first round? if not, i would make a change in the summer (adleman, brown, carlesemo, cassell?)

20. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

This is like asking somebody whether they are a Democrat or a Republican when the reason why the vast majority of the public votes for either one is because they are no other viable alternatives.

JVG is a good coach...he just has to coach his kind of players or force a round peg into a square hole....