1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Current Roster and changes I would like to see made.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Jul 21, 2006.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Rockets roster

Rafer Alston 6’2” pg
    Shane Battier 6’8” sg/sf/pf
    Ryan Bowen 6’9” sf
    Chuck Hayes 6’6” sf/pf
    Luther Head 6’3” pg/sg
    Juwan Howard 6’9” pf
    Tracy McGrady 6’8” sg/sf/pf
    Yao Ming 7’5” c
    Deke Motumbo 7’2” c
    Kirk Snyder 6’6” sg/sf
    Vassillas Spanoulis 6’4” pg/sg
    Bob Sura 6’5” pg/sg

Unsigned additions
    Steve Novak 6’10” sf/pf
    John Lucas III 5’11” pg

We still have at least one more spot to fill unless a trade comes down. I would personally like another tall wing player that can play small forward…maybe someone like Trevor Ariza to develop behind McGrady and Battier. Having said that, a back up small forward is not our most pressing need IMO.

Here is what I would like to see happen.

1st Please find away to get rid of Ryan Bowen. I am not down on him as much as some people because I do think he has a lot of hustle but the guy just has little or no skill. Having Ryan Bowen on the team say’s a lot more about the deficiencies in the teams roster than it does for Ryan Bowen as a basketball player. Also getting rid of Bowen opens up another roster spot for another player such as….Trevor Ariza that surely would give us as much as Bowen in terms of Hustle and Defense. Plus Ariza is someone very young that we could develop behind T-Mac and Battier. The guy is young (just turned 21) and has tons of athletic ability and size (6‘8“). Bowen will never be more than he is now and that just is not much.

2nd We need a real power forward with some youth and athleticism. I like J-Ho, he does what he is supposed to do (for the most part) and goes about his job in a professional manor. He hits most of his open mid range shots and knows his defensive assignments. The problem IMO with J-Ho is that he just seems slow and he does not rebound well. Plus the guy is old, he will turn 34 during this coming season. There are a couple of Power Forwards out there that might be a better fit for the team than Howard. Gooden, Wilcox or even Lorenzen Wright would be better than Howard at this stage of his career.

3rd We need another sweet shooting tall guard, someone that can come in when teams are playing zone and make them pay with the outside shot. A zone buster. He does not have to be a great player but someone that stays with in the frame work of the team concept and nails his outside shots when called upon. In 04-05 that person was Jon Barry. Other players that come to mind are John Paxon and Steve Kerr. Not a player that strikes fear into opposing defenses but a player that can keep the defenses honest for 5 or more minutes a game. There was a rumor of the Rockets trying to land Kyle Korver from Philly. If that were possible that would be my first choice. A young proven dead eye shooter that has plenty of height to play shooting guard or small forward. Other possibilities are Pat Carroll who is another young guard with size that can shoot the lights out put is un proven on an NBA roster. My last choice would be Richie Frahm. The guy was on our team at the end of last season and has a nice stroke from outside.

2. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

I thought Yao was 7'6".

3. thetennisyao

thetennisyao Member

breaking news, we are getting another truck :D :D haha

4. RioGrando

RioGrando Member

NBA has him listed @ 7'5", but you are correct in you're assumption, he's really 7'6" (with shoes).

5. Possum

Possum Member

This sounds like a job for Rockets Dynasty! :D

6. pearlon

pearlon Member

Agree they are better. But they don't come cheap.

Keep Howard for his shooting but trade Bowen like you said. Use TE and/or rest of MLE on a guy like Ariza or Reggie Evans. Lorenzen Wright would be a great backup C, but I don't think we have enough assets to acquire him.

About Evans: the guy is 6-8 but he can flat out board. 7.5 rebounds in 23 minutes per game? We need a guy like that to obtain and retain possessions. This article by RealGm states some valid points about Evans and his ability to bang inside and give great minutes off the bench for a half-court game, which is what Houston employs.

http://suns.realgm.com/articles/100/20060720/phoenix_suns_missing_golden_opportunity/

7. Guru

Guru Member

What kind of money/contract do ya'll think Melvin Ely is expected or expecting?

8. pearlon

pearlon Member

Oops, I was wrong his rebound stats are even better: 8.7 rb per 23.3 min!!! :eek:

9. Omer

Omer Member

Isn't Novak already signed? They had news about him on Rockets.com

10. crash5179

What bad news? I just went to Rockets.com and so no bad news about Novak.

11. matty101

matty101 Member

Chuck Hayes is a younger version of Reggie Evans. "Ranks #3 in the NBA in Rebounds Per 48 Minutes(16.1)" That stat is amazing considering he's only 6.6" I dont see the point of halting a young guys progress to get someone who is practically the same. I think picking up Wright and Ariza would complete our offseason nicely

12. daaum

daaum Member

arent there 50 hred floting arounf with all this info...why are we doin this? u put the lorezen wrght, kyl rver, rumore f oter trade all into this....jut reply in the othr threds..

13. crash5179

What the hell are you talking about? :eek:

14. H-Dub

H-Dub Member

Was that ever a rumor by any one other than bbs'ers? And if so what was the deal?

15. TMACFORMVP

TMACFORMVP Member

Naw it was from the realgm boards.

16. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

arent there 50 hred floting arounf with all this info...why are we doin this? u put the lorezen wrght, kyl rver, rumore f oter trade all into this....jut reply in the othr threds..

I think he's trying to say: aren't rthere 50 threads floating around with all this informaiton....why are we doing this? You put the lorezen wright, kyle krover, rumour f (?) other trade all into this.....just reply in the other threads..

evne translated, some parts don't make sense................

17. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

sorry, *even translated

18. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

damnit, I've got so many typos.

19. Dei

Dei Member

The only people I want to keep are:

Yao
    Tracy
    Battier
    Novak
    Mutombo
    Sura

Everybody can go. Build around these 6.

20. tinyb0itim

tinyb0itim Member

How many ppl can we have on our roster??? I think if we get a pf and tall sg/sf we'll be set for the season.

Power Forward- Wilcox, Wright, Jefferies and Ely would be good choices
    Shooting guard and Small forward - Stevenson or Ariza would be nice

Starting lineup
    Pg-Alston
    Sg-Battier
    Sf-Mcgrady
    Pf-Any1 above but Wilcox if we can get him
    C-Yao