1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chicago Waives Othella....You Know What Comes Next

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MingMingDynasty, Jul 7, 2006.

1. MingMingDynasty

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nba&id=2512381

Harrington has appeared in 142 games, including 51 starts, with the Bulls during his two-year stint in the Windy City and averaged 6.4 ppg and 3.1 rpg in 14.8 mpg and shot .505 from the floor and .680 from the free throw line.

Lets bring back Othella.

2. kingkow

kingkow Member

hmm how about no. we dont want another weatherspoon

3. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

What's the difference between Othella The Fella and Chuck Hayes? They are both undersized PF's. At least Chuck Hayes is still young and hungry. As much as I like Othella ...pass.

4. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

can we get a single thread of all players waived? these players are being waived for a reason people. we don't need bottom of the rotation players. we need someone who can start or at least contribute significant minutes in as a bench player.

5. docgundy

docgundy Member

Oh sweet. I'll talk to him next week hopefully. We chill in the spa a lot after a long and hard workout.

6. New Jack

New Jack Member

How is Othella an undersized power forward when all of the minutes he's played the past couple of seasons have been at center?

Othella would be a nice pickup to replace Mutombo as Yao's backup.

7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Othella was a fan favorite during his time in Houston. Once he left, our idea of him was frozen in time, like your old high school girlfriend who will always be 18 and pretty.

8. TMACFORMVP

TMACFORMVP Member

I'd like him too but I dont think we need any more power forwards that cant really start.

9. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

If Othella is an undersized PF, how does that become ok if he plays center? :confused:

----
    I just looked at his stats. He is 6'9" 235. That is a fair size at PF ...I thought he was shorter than that. Nevertheless, 6'9" is ABSOLUTELY undersized at center.

10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I still remember Barkley taunting Harrington....

"Pass the ball O, pass the ball.....you can do it....don't make us have to bring the Fun Police out..."

11. New Jack

New Jack Member

My point is he’s been playing center for Chicago and New York the past several seasons. If he’s big enough to play center for those teams, surely he’s big enough to play power forward.

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Othella was waived to make room for all the new frontcourt players Chicago was bringing in. Unfortunately, Othella's contract was not fully guaranteed if we was waived prior to August. Chicago made the move for salary cap purposes only.

Remember, Othella started 23 games for Chicago last year. Starting 23 games and being a regular part of the rotation for a playoff team does not make you a scrub. Unfortunately, Chicago had no room for him with Ben Wallace, P.J. Brown, Mike Sweetney, and (if they go small) Luol Deng and Andres Nocioni all able to play in the front court, possibly at PF.

He would give us a good low-post presence. At this point in his career, I see him as a better version of Lonny Baxter. He could crack our rotation.

13. kingkow

kingkow Member

why did mike sweetney replace harrington on the first place?

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Othella is Juwan Howard WITHOUT the jumper if you can believe that. We've finally hit on a PF that would actually be worse than Juwan.

Please don't sign him up.

15. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

we've already been through othella before and he sucks.

chuck hayes is better than othella and he's our 2nd PF. I'd rather use one of our TE's and pick up Ely than sign othella

16. New Jack

New Jack Member

Actually, according to 82games.com, Othella hit a higher percentage of his jumpers last season than Howard did.

Othella: 70% of his shot attempts were jumpers and he had an eFG% of 0.463
    http://www.82games.com/0506/05CHI18A.HTM

Howard: 68% of his shot attempts were jumpers and he had an eFG% of 0.430
    http://www.82games.com/0506/05HOU16A.HTM

17. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

boris diaw is undersized at 6'8 as well.

18. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Why do we always have to bring back players we didnt want?

19. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Othella was more money with that FT line jumper than Howard was.

Harrington played well and scored well in Chicago because he had the ball and room to work with. No other player touched the post last year, or when Curry was on the bench the year before. He was huge for the Bulls over the last two years, voted as a captain by the players, and probably the most underrated cog in the 47-win team of two years ago.

That said, I don't know if Houston is the answer. He has to go somewhere where he has space down low, and there's no way he can play alongside Yao. He's best at center right now, because as small as he is, he can still get that jump hook off if given looks.

20. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

If Othella has any game left, I like bringing him in for big man depth. I'm not comfortable with Deke being our only other center. Right now, we have only one back-up center and only one true PF (Juwan)