1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chicago Tribune] Swift and pick for Chicago's pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Matt78777, May 22, 2006.

1. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...0024may22,1,2810022.column?coll=cs-columnists

Chicago owns New York's pick which is number 2. that doesn't mean they have the second pick, they could end up as high as 1 (second highest odds of being number 1) or as low as 4.

So would you guys do this?

I don't know where Sam Smith got the notion that we want Morrison (he can't be JVG's type of guy and he doesn't fill any of our needs), but I definitely would do this for a shot at Thomas, Aldridge, or Bargnani. In my mind, Swift has had his chance and if we draft an elite power forward we won't miss him.

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

If all it took to move up that high was Swift then we would be fools not to pounce on that. You figure, if Portland gets the #1 they will likely take Morrison or Thomas thus leaving us sitting pretty at #2 with a need at PF and Aldridge still available. This could be a great opportunity to walk away with the best player in the draft.

3. Panda

Panda Member

In a second.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This talk is silly. No way the Bulls are dumb enough to make that trade. It would be robbery. They need a big body in the middle because Tyson Chandler will not gain enough weight to be an effective center. Stro wouldn't help them at all.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

of course you do this. but why would chicago move down in the draft? if they need a PF then they should just draft one.

6. Drift Monkey

Drift Monkey Member

No way Chicago does this, but there's no reason we wouldn't...

I guess hardcore Swift fans might disagree though...

7. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

I thought it was kind of silly for chicago too, but it came from a chicago writer...

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

this trade would be r****ded if it went down but lets not forget chi-town did trade brand for chandler. so you never know....

9. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Sam Smith.

Sam Smith.

Sam Smith.

Poor man's Peter Vescey, please disregard his hypotheticals.

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Tribune = tabloid, especially any toilet paper columns from Sam Smith (fyi - link didn't work for me but found it no prob on their site).

This isn't even a rumor, it's made up drivel that has zero connections to the Bulls managment. About as good as linking to one of our trade proposal threads.

I honestly am wondering if ANY Sam Smith trade write up has EVER come to fruition. I'm leaning heavily to no, but the law of averages has to catch up at some point.

Evan

11. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Sam Smith doesn't report on rumors. He makes up trade ideas based on what he thinks is a good idea. I've never seen him rip off the Bulls quite this bad before. I would not even blink at this deal. Hell, I'd do it even if the Bulls fall all the way down to 5 and we stay at 8.

12. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah, I have to admit I agree. First, there is zero to this because it's Sam Smith, who just speculates. Remember how many people bought his Dirk-for-KG talk last summer.

Playing along... I can't see why the Rockets would not do that. I'm sure there is still hope for Swift, but to upgrade in the draft you just do it (I bet some here may even do this deal if it meant dropping a spot or two in the draft). I thought no matter what, Stro would be worth the MLE, that he was so low risk at that price. He's trying his hardest to prove me wrong though.

13. drpepper

drpepper Member

This would be a great trade for Chicago. They basically get a Tyrus Thomas in Swift, plus they get our #8 which translates to Roy, or some guy named Williams.

What would Houston get? A long project!! Not what we need if we're trying to win now. Morrison will struggle in the NBA with bigger, faster, and more skilled players. His game was tailor made for the weak pac10 conference. When was the last time a player from Gonzaga not named Stockton been successful in the NBA. IMO, I'd be hard pressed to take him at 8. Especially with Tmac here.

Aldridge would be intriguiging to put at the 4.......
    Gay would also be a possibility.

No to Morrison!

14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Morrison just seems like a terrible fit for the Rockets.

He won't help our three point shooting, he's not athletic, he's not a good perimeter defender, he doesn't rebound well, and he'd be playing at McGrady's natural position.

If we were to trade away Swift and a draft pick to Chicago, we should look to draft Thomas or Aldridge well before even considering Morrison. Brandon Roy would make much more sense as well (I think he'll be a better NBA player).

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Actually, 3 or 4 years ago, he proposed the Bulls trading for Jalen Rose. And it happened. I was so stunned I think I crapped my pants.

The trade he mentions isn't so far-fetched; well, not for him, anyway.

I think Swift + Luther (using our Moochie Trade Exception) for Chandler would be more likely. Chicago would drop even more salary, and could use the #2 and the #16 and even Ben Gordon (of whom Luther is a lesser version) as bait for solid veterans. And they could still make runs at centers like Przbilla and Nazr Mohammed et al.

And why the &*#! would we want to draft Morrison, anyway? Last time I checked, we have a decent small forward called Tracy McGrady.

I mean, if this McGrady kid really works at it, he might become a decent NBA player, you know? :)

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Stro had his moments when he played well, but the season was so horribly lost, who knows what he can provide the team if given the chance to run with T-Mac?

I also wonder if the relationship became so strained between Van Grumble and Stro, with no T-Mac (team leader) as a buffer or as a means to make Stro play better, that Stro lost whatever confidence or wherewithal he might have had in the first place.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If after 6 years in the NBA Stro needs Tracy as a "team leader" to make him play better, the guy is hopeless. "Who knows" what he can provide? I think we all do: Inconsistent, uninspired, lazy mistake-laden basketball. Sprinkle in some injuries, highlight dunks & blocks shots along with a precious few very good games. Seems like everybody said wait until the end of the season to judge him. The season is over. He did for us what he did in his first 5 years with the Grizz.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Swift would thrive in an up tempo offense, and this would help his effort a ton.

If he was on Phoenix, or Chicago, or another team that pushes the ball, he would be a much different player.

I think Swift made a mistake signing with the Rockets and vice versa, if they are committed to JVG.

DD

19. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

There's no doubt in my mind that Stro's capable of doing great things, but that's just the big POTENTIAL talking. Personally, I haven't given up on him and probably won't until I see him get a chance to run the court. I believe that he should've been the starter and Howard was a better scoring option at the bench. I also believe that Stro's position with the Rockets are better off as a Udonis Haslem kinda guy with better shot-blocking, which I thought was reasonable.

I think that if he can break the starting lineup and have T-Mac and Alston running the ball, that Stro could flourish in our system. He seems to be the kind of guy who gets motivation by his own play. The problem with that, is the seeming fact that he loses intersity and sometimes, interest, when he's struggling. Hopefully, it's not the interest, but maybe the idea that he's trying too hard to not make mistakes under JVG's system. I don't believe that he's not trying, even though it might seem so at times. With that, I'm hoping he learns to work with mistakes and try to do things better instead of looking lost and like a scape goat every time he makes a bad decision.

20. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Possibly Swift would fit into their game plan more so than he does with the Rockets and JVG.