1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

REPORT: Nash to win 2nd straight MVP

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by nabeel623, Apr 26, 2006.

1. nabeel623

nabeel623 Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2422255

PHOENIX -- Steve Nash will win his second straight NBA Most Valuable Player award, according to reports on several area newspapers.

Nash
    The announcement may not come for two weeks, according to the Arizona Republic. But the paper, and others, report that the voting shows Nash edging LeBron James, Dirk Nowitzki, Chauncey Billups and Kobe Bryant for the MVP.

This season, Nash had career-highs in points (18.8 points per game), rebounds (4.2 per game), field goal percentage (51.2 percent) and free throw percentage (92.1 percent -- best in the league). He was also the league-leader in assists (10.5) and shot nearly 50 percent from three-point range.

The Suns are currently playing the Los Angeles Lakers in the first round of the Western Conference playoffs.

A year ago, Nash edged Shaquille O'Neal in what was the fourth-closest balloting in history.

Pretty surprised...thought Kobe or Lebron were going to take it this year.

2. shawn786

shawn786 Member

I really wanted to see Koby as the MVP this year. As much as i do hate him, i really did think he was the MVP. Of course the same can be said about Nash. The guy just makes his team so much better.

3. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

i have to disagree this year, last year nash had it hands down with no competition. but this year i have to say it was lebrons turn. i guess they didnt wanna give it to him cuz hes the youngest out of the bunch. BS though, Lebron was robbed.

4. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

I'm not so sure I agree with this either. He's definitely very valuable to his team, but I just don't understand how Nash can win two...while all-time greats like Olajuwon, Shaq, Barkley, Dr. J, and Robinson have only won one.

5. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Nash deserves it even more this year than he did last year.

6. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

So, he'll get the award before Game 5 of the Laker series?

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Three will be a Game 5?

8. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Well-deserved, he was by and far the most valuable player to his team, no one made his team better or had his team more dependent on his abilities than Steve Nash...not to mention they won 50 games without their supposedly "best player".

Take T-Mac out of the Rockets lineup and you saw how we played. Take Duncan out of the Spurs (as deep as they are) and they're no more than a .500 team. Take Billups out of the Pistons and they're not much worse for it (might win 50 instead of 60). Take Shaq out of the Heat lineup and they're still above .500 as a team.

Nash has an even stronger case than he did last season, when I thought Shaq should've won it.

It's Nash and it shouldn't even be close. Take the history out of it, it's not the guy's fault that he's been the MVP two seasons in a row, just because there was more competition and better players in the past doesn't mean he shouldn't get it just because of that. That's a weak argument at best.

9. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Actually, Dream DOES have two MVP awards. He just let David Robinson borrow one and the Mermaid never returned it...

Those guys only have one MVP award because there were so many legendary players playing in that time frame and only so many MVP awards to go around. Let's not forget Jordan, Bird, Magic, Malone, Ewing, and Iverson. Plus, Dr. J spent some of his prime years in the ABA.

The NBA likes to award team success when choosing the MVP award. The problem is that the two best teams don't have a real MVP, they just play great team basketball.

10. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

C'mon, Kobe should be all over this...I've seen Kobe play in person and man, this guy should have won this hands down...

11. underoverup

underoverup Member

lebron seems like the obvious winner this year, but nash did do an amazing job without the suns best player.

12. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Absolutely! He was the MVP last year, how could he NOT be this year, while he putting up even better stats in almost every category, and facing even harder tasks, to carrry a new team without Amare? He made Houser, Diaw, Bell even allstar like. What else do you guys want? Until he makes Bogans an allstar? Remember, in the beginning of the season, people wrote the Suns off, because Amare's surgery, JJ and Q's departure. Nash answered you with his better play, and a bunch of new JJ and Q. It's the perfect fact to show some doubters that Steve Nash, made the Amares, JJs and Qs, so is he making Bell and Diaw, not the other way around. If that is not Most Valuable Player, I don't know what is, and some of you guys can enlighten me.

13. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

well deserved.

14. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

Congrats to the well deserved MVP. Kobe can go ball-hog some more.

15. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I would have given it to Dirk but Nash is a good choice too.

16. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Well deserved.

Who would have thought the Mav's were getting rid of a 2 time MVP?

My MVP would have been LeBron but he will get pleanty of MVPS when hes all done.

Theres a good case for Kobe but to me getting your team to the 7th spot in the playoffs doesn't warrant an MVP.

There's really a good case for all these guys Wade and Dirk included. It was really a crazy year of basketball, so many young stars that will carry the league for the next decade.

17. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

It'll be interesting to see how tight the voting was. This solidifies that the media will blackball Kobe to some degree. I honestly liked Dirk for the award but knew he didn't have a snowball's chance.

I will agree that Kobe was the best player in the game this year, but think he shouldn't get the MVP for the same reasons that Jordan didn't get his when he averaged a monsterous 37 PPG in '86-87 (he won it the next year when the Bulls ran up 50 wins).

I'm just happy we had legit candidates this year as opposed to last season.

Evan

18. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

I, a Canadian, would have liked to see Lebron win.

i'm absolutely extatic that Nash will win (if the report is true), but i fear that he may become known as an overrated player in history if he has more MVP's than players that have done more than him. Nash is an amazing leader and an amazing player - i just don't want people to be hatin on him when it's all said and done.

basically, i really hope he can lead the suns to an NBA championship so that he has some more accolades to go with his season-awards.

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

.....cause Steve Nash is Magic Johnson or Larry Bird?

20. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

Isn't it illegal for pg's to win more than one MVP?