1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So what if we take Redick?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Outlier, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

Would you really be that mad?

Is it going to be a "TRADE REDICK" everytime he has a bad game like how there's a "TRADE JVG" every week?

Or would you guys try to accept it at least?

Draftexpress has Redick at our pick, and I spoke to one of the draftexpress creators, and well... He told me that the Rockets are highly interested in Redick. (and some interest in Roy, but he'll be gone by then)

Mind you, this is the same guy that I spoke to last year that the Rockets would draft Luther Head. On every (EVERY) other mock, Luther was in the early second round. He told me that the Rockets are taking Luther Head FOR SURE.

He also had the scoop of Daryl Morey coming in to replace CD days before it came out on the news.

So basically my point is, please don't set yourself up for a huge disappointment. All of the people that are bashing JJ right now are the ones setting themselves up. Cause I would hate to see alot of hate threads in the future when Redick is in Rockets uniform.

2. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

J.J. Redick is 6'4" and he can shoot. We know that.

Mike Gansey is 6'4" and he can shoot. We know that.

The difference is that Redick hasn't shown that he's good for anything else and Gansey has.

So it's not that I don't like Redick, it's that I think we could get virtually the same thing (lights out shooting) with another pick, like Gansey in the early 2nd. Plus, Gansey has more promise in other areas of the game.

I don't think Redick is the best player we could pick at #11 (or wherever we actually pick), but IF he can hit the NBA 3 with the same accuracy as he did in college then I'm not going to hate him if he doesn't bring much else. We all know how many more games we'd win if we could just hit a damn 3.

That said, I'm still hoping that we can somehow get Roy. Somehow...

3. Outlier

Outlier Member

Yeah, I'm not trying to make a case for Redick. But I wouldn't mind him. I'm just saying that we are very likely to draft him even though many are against it.

4. thetennisyao

thetennisyao Member

No, i wouldn't be pissed. he will never be a star, like he was in Duke. He will be a good role player with all that spaces Yao created. ;)

5. Painting_Shade

Painting_Shade Contributing Member

I think people are highly underrating redick. I think he would be extremely effective in our system. You have to remember that he was one of the if not the most closely guarded players in college basketball, and that has to amount for something. I can tell you for sure that if redick got 8 looks as open as frahm did agaisnt the sonics, that he would hit more than 4. in fact he'd probably get so dangerous to leave open that players would be reluctent to double yao or tracy. and we know both of them are extremely dangerous one-on-one players.

He's also an extremely hard worker and has always fought against the grain. He has the right mentality and if JVG demanded that he improve his defense to be an effective NBA player than he would work his heart out to be that. He just wants to play basketball, and he's good at it.

6. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

He is surely capable of scoring 16,18 pts if his shooting is on.

But have you seen his defense?

If the opponent SG is bigger,stronger, we are dead.

7. Painting_Shade

Painting_Shade Contributing Member

We have david wesley starting. he is 6"1. and he cannot shoot well. And I'm saying that JVG will turn JJ into a good defender, simply because JJ has a hard-working mindset. JJ is more athletic and strong than you think. Just cause he's white doesn't mean he isn't strong either.

8. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

But why waste a first round pick on him when you can get gansey in the 2nd round.

Gansey shoots nearly as well, is an excellent rebounder for a guard, and is equally hard working if not more so. Not to mention Gansey comes from a motion/princeton style offense that emphasizes passing and ball movement. He has a great basketball IQ.

Use our first rounder to either get a guard who is better than JJ Reddick or get a big man and get gansey in the 2nd round. Wasting a lottery pick on Reddick just seems silly at this point.

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I really like Gansey in the 2nd round. Really reminds me of Brent Barry (kinda looks like him too).

I wouldn't be mad if we picked Redick, but it really depends on where we are in the draft.

10. ClutchCityReturns

When Redick is in the NBA he's going to have a hard time getting his shot off because of the length of defenders vs. college defenders. Plus, a lot of Redick's 3's were taken from well beyond the 3 point line because the defenders played the line. The long 3's he was able to get off using that method will now just be regular NBA distance 3's. If defenders play the line now, Redick is going to have to consistantly shoot 30 footers to get his shot off over longer and more athletic defenders.

I'm not saying that if you're 6'4" you can't get your shot off in the NBA, but when your name is J.J. Redick and ALL you do is shoot, you're going to get enough extra attention that it's not going to be easy on you. The response to that is that he will eleviate some pressure on Yao in the post, but is that price worth paying when you consider how J.J. will likely get absolutely abused on the other end, allowing penetration and putting even more of a defensive burden on Yao, possibly causing him foul trouble?

I'm NOT insulting anyone's intelligence, but I'm simply saying that a lot of things should be considered. Not just "he'll keep teams from doubling Yao".

11. ClutchCityReturns

Actually better...

55% FG, 43% 3FG...only down side is the FT shooting which is right at about 69%. Down from earlier seasons, so he's shown the ability to shoot it better.

Redick shot 47% FG, 42% 3FG, and 86% FT.

I really believe that the major difference between Redick and Gansey in terms of scoring is that Redick is a volume shooter and Gansey is not.

Redick scored 26.8 on 17.8 shots.

Gansey scored 16.8 on 11.2 shots.

Both of their PPS (points per shot) averages are 1.50.

#11 ClutchCityReturns, Apr 1, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2006
  12. matt8504

matt8504 Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind it if they drafted Redick. I was wanting them to take him but recently I have been thinking we should take a PF and trade Stro. But if we do take Redick it will be good for this team. He's a great shooter and thats what this team needs. With Yao and Tmac drawing double teams Redick will be open alot of times and be able to make the other teams pay for it causing them to not double Yao and TMAC all the time.

Now many say he's terrible on defense. He is actually not as bad as many believe. i am not saying he's a really good defender because he's not but I watch a lot of Duke games and he improved his defense every year and I believe he will be an average defender in the NBA with a defensive coach like JVG teaching him.

13. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I'm a Duke basketball fan and I'm fine with them taking JJ, although I'd prefer to see them get a bigger, more well-rounded SG.

A question: if JJ is such a one-dimensional player, why does Coach K love him so much? Is it just because he stayed for 4 years? ... or does he have more skills than we here give him credit for?

14. ClutchCityReturns

Well, you have to consider that it's college ball. How many games does a top team like Duke play during the course of the season where the other team has equal talent? 5...6...maybe?

Every night in the NBA the opposing team has comparable talent, which makes one-dimensional players stick out like a sore thumb.

I remember a stat from this season that showed Redick's numbers dropped against top teams. In contrast, Adam Morrison's statistics rose significantly in similar situations. I think this is a sign of Redick's inability to remain effective when he's matched up with comparable or superior talent (in the case of the NBA).

In short, great college players aren't always great (or good) NBA players. We all know that.

15. Major

Major Member

There's a reason all the scouts think JJ Redick is a mid 1st rounder and Gansey is a second rounder. If Gansey was predicted to be all you suggest in the NBA, he wouldn't be available in the 2nd round.

16. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

You can't really compare numbers straight across with Gansey and Redick. No one really cared if Gansey scorched them, but every single team they played gameplanned around shutting down Redick. As a sidekick Redick will get easier shots and shoot a higher percentage.

17. T-Dogg

T-Dogg Member

Kobe, Ray Allen, Manu, LeBron, Michael Redd, these are just examples of why not to draft J.J. Shooting is a lost art in the NBA, so it's rare that you have a guy with that kind of shooting ability, but for a team, who is short in the backcourt and not athletic in the backcourt, getting a Brandon Roy, Rodney Carney or Mardy Collins, or even a Richard Roby would be better fits. If you look at the Spurs, they have athletic guys, who attack the rim that have the ability to hit open shots. The Mavs as well. Look at the system the Suns run, long athletic guys, who hit open shots. The only team among the top 5 in the NBA, IMO with a legitimate shooter, is the Pistons with Rip Hamilton. Dwayne Wade attacks the rim, even with Shaq on the team.

18. Outlier

Outlier Member

Who can actually guard those guys? Defense is a lost art just like how shooting is a lost art in the NBA. Only the Kobes, Ray Allens, Manus, Lebrons, Michael Redds can guard the Kobes, Ray Allens, Manus, Lebrons, and Michael Redds. I also heard in an interview that JJ is patterning his game after Rip Hamilton.

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Take him if he is the best player available at our pick otherwise go for a more all rounded guard or forward. I know we need shooters but I favor guys who like to attack the rim and can finish consistently.

20. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I would be dissappointed.

You don't go into the draft armed with a lotto pick and come away happy with a Jon Barry clone, esp when you might not be in the lotto again for quite some time.

Redick is the kind of guy you get excited about when signing with the remnants of the MLE, or getting later in the draft.

They could do worse, and this is supposed to be a weak draft year, but getting Redick certainly wouldn't excite me.

I'd rather trade the pick++ for a swingman that may be available. One of Atlanta's guys, Pietrius(sp?), JR Smith, etc. Somebody, anybody.