1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Moms' Genetics Might Help Produce Gay Sons

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by robbie380, Feb 22, 2006.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i figured i'd throw it in here since people can overreact sometimes to the gay thing.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20060222/hl_hsn/momsgeneticsmighthelpproducegaysons

Moms' Genetics Might Help Produce Gay Sons By Randy Dotinga
    HealthDay Reporter

TUESDAY, Feb. 21 (HealthDay News) -- New research adds a twist to the debate on the origins of sexual orientation, suggesting that the genetics of mothers of multiple gay sons act differently than those of other women.

Scientists found that almost one fourth of the mothers who had more than one gay son processed X chromosomes in their bodies in the same way. Normally, women randomly process the chromosomes in one of two ways -- half go one way, half go the other.

The research "confirms that there is a strong genetic basis for sexual orientation, and that for some gay men, genes on the X chromosome are involved," said study co-author Sven Bocklandt, a postdoctoral researcher at the University of California at Los Angeles.

The link between genetics and sexual orientation has been a hot topic for more than a decade as a few scientists have tried to find genes that might make people gay or straight. In the new study, Bocklandt and colleagues examined a phenomenon called "X-chromosome inactivation."

While females have two X chromosomes, they actually require only one and routinely inactivate the other, Bocklandt said. "That way, both men and women have basically one functional X chromosome," he added. Men have both an X and Y chromosome, but the Y chromosome plays a much smaller role, he said.

Women typically inactivate one of their two X chromosomes at random. "It's like flipping a coin," Bocklandt said. "If you look at a woman in any given (bodily) tissue, you'd expect about half of the cells to inactivate one X, and half would inactivate the other."

In the new study, researchers looked at 97 mothers of gay sons and 103 mothers without gay sons to see if there was any difference in how they handled their X chromosomes. The findings appear in the February issue of the journal Human Genetics.

"When we looked at women who have gay kids, in those with more than one gay son, we saw a quarter of them inactivate the same X in virtually every cell we checked," Bocklandt said. "That's extremely unusual."

Forty-four of the women had more than one gay son.

In contrast, 4 percent of mothers with no gay sons activated the chromosome and 13 percent of those with just one gay son did.

The phenomenon of being more likely to inactivate one X chromosome -- known as "extreme skewing" -- is typically seen only in families that have major genetic irregularities, Bocklandt said.

What does this all mean? The researchers aren't sure, but Bocklandt thinks he and his colleagues are moving closer to understanding the origins of sexual orientation.

"What's really remarkable and very novel about this is that you see something in the bodies of women that is linked to a behavioral trait in their sons," he said. "That's new, that's unheard of."

Still, there are caveats. Dr. Ionel Sandovici, a genetics researcher at The Babraham Institute in Cambridge, England, pointed out that most of the mothers of multiple gay sons didn't share the unusual X-chromosome trait. And the study itself is small, which means more research will need to be done to confirm its findings, Sandovici said.

Ultimately, Sandovici added, the origins of sexual orientation remain "rather a complicated biological puzzle."

And this line of research does have its critics. Some have worried that, in the future, manipulation of a "gay gene" or genes might be used as a method of preventing homosexuality in utero, or perhaps even after. But Bocklandt said these kinds of fears shouldn't stand in the way of legitimate scientific research.

"We're trying to understand one of the most critical human traits: the ability to love and be attracted to others. Without sexual reproduction we would not exist, and sexual selection played an essential role in evolution," he said. "Yet, we have no idea how it works, and that's what we're trying to find out. As with any research, the knowledge you acquire could be used for benefit or harm. But if [scientists] would have avoided research because we were afraid of what we were going to find, then we would still be living in the stone age."

2. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

It's always the mothers fault.

3. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have an X and a V.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I tell ya. . .
    they will find a genetic link to liking ice cream soon

seems like someone is stretching really hard to justify something
    that does not need justification

Rocket River

5. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Agreed- but it would be fascinating if such a gene were discovered.

I think the people who object to homosexuality the most believe that it's a choice. If it were proven to not be a choice, it would make that agrument harder to hold on to. (I think they would keep believing what they believe anyway, but every bit helps.)

6. Nolen

A little OT, but I want to ask: how can someone believe that homosexuals choose to be homosexual? Did the rest of us choose to be straight?

7. Buck Turgidson

There's ample, getting to the point of overwhelming, scientific evidence that our sexuality is hard-wired in some fashion. The only stretching going on is being done by those that choose to ignore this.

8. bronxfan

bronxfan Contributing Member

i'm sorry for this but the article was written by

"RANDY DOTINGA" :D :D sounds a little fishy to me

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

yeah maybe but i just thought this was interesting because it is something i have noticed too.

10. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I wonder, do most pedophiles choose to be pedophiles? Or is that genetic also? Thoughts?

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I still think its preference and opportunity.

You can crave sushi, but if you live in the middle of Africa, wheat and corn is what you're probably going to get.

12. hotballa

yes, but how do you get to that stage where your preference is little kids?

13. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

When you can afford to pay off their parents for being silent?

I was going to throw in a priest joke, but that's been overdone.

14. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Not worth it.

#14 rhadamanthus, Feb 22, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2006
  15. Nolen

In my opinion they're 'acting out' childhood trauma.

I see this argument vs. homosexuality often- is that why you responded this way? There's a tenuous link in so called "sexual preference", but really it's quite weak. There's a difference between raping and scarring for life an innocent youth and the sexual activity of consenting adults.

Do you think it's choice? For homos and/or kiddie rapists?

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The environment is always involved. It's never 100% genetics. But it's probably like 90 something percent genetics. Either way, it's not like someone really "chooses" it.

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

no i think there is pretty clear evidence that sexuality and behavior is also determined by enironment. like how pedophiles were generally people who were abused too.

18. hotballa

Do you think that applies to homosexuality too then?

19. hotballa

yes but there are also a lot of abused children who don't grow up to be pedophiles, so do you think genetics plays a role in people becoming pedophiles?

20. hotballa

shrug, everyone gets turned on by different things. maybe the idea of havign sex in any other position is emotionally scarring for some. I'm merely asking how people come to these preferences and turn ons?