1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

How Gay Marriage is Dealth with in Dubai

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sishir Chang, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I personally don't see the big deal with Gay Marriage but I think this is an interesting comparison to see how the issue is being dealt with in other countries.

From the Associated Press

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10218234/

Arab gays face hormone treatment, prison
    UAE mulls punishment against dozens arrested at mass gay wedding

Updated: 8:33 p.m. ET Nov. 26, 2005

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - More than two dozen gay Arab men — arrested at what police called a mass homosexual wedding — could face government-ordered hormone treatments, five years in jail and a lashing, authorities said Saturday.

The Interior Ministry said police raided a hotel chalet earlier this month and arrested 22 men from the Emirates as they celebrated the wedding ceremony, one of a string of recent group arrests of homosexuals here.

The men are likely to be tried under Muslim law on charges related to adultery and prostitution, said Interior Ministry spokesman Issam Azouri.

Outward homosexual behavior is banned in the United Arab Emirates, and the gay group wedding has alarmed leaders of this once-isolated Muslim country as it grapples with a sweeping influx of Western residents and culture.

The Arabian peninsula, nevertheless, has a long tradition of openly homosexual wedding singers and dancers.

“Lately people have been talking about (homosexuality), but it has been here for a long time,” said Nadia Buhannad, a Dubai psychologist. “It becomes shocking only when it is your own son.”

Raid on wedding party
    Police acting on a tip raided the hotel in Ghantout, a desert region on the Dubai-Abu Dhabi highway, and found a dozen men dressed as female brides and a dozen others in male Arab dress, apparently preparing for a ceremony that would join them as husbands and wives, Azouri said.

“It was a real party with balloons and champagne,” he said.

The 26 men arrested include those from the Emirates as well as an Indian disc jockey and three men from neighboring Arab states. One of the arrested was to perform the wedding ceremony. Azouri said some of the group told police they worked as prostitutes. Others had been arrested before.

Last year, police made mass arrests at an apparent gay wedding in the conservative emirate of Sharjah and at the Khor Fakkan beach resort in Fujairah emirate, a police official said on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the press.

Two dozen men arrested in Sharjah were given symbolic lashings — meant to humiliate, not inflict pain — and then released from jail, said prominent Emirati lawyer Abdul Hamid al-Kumaiti.

“There are so many others like these guys,” al-Kumaiti said. “The police and rulers need to do more than just lash them and let them go.”

Azouri described the arrests in Ghantout as a “delicate” matter made public for the first time — more than a week after the event — because the country’s tribal leadership wants to demonstrate it will not tolerate open homosexuality.

Officials take hard line
    On Friday, as newspapers reported the arrests, the minister of justice and Islamic affairs, Mohammed bin Nukhaira Al Dhahiri, called on parents to be vigilant for “deviant” behavior in their children.

“There will be no room for homosexual ... acts in the UAE,” Al Dhahiri was quoted as saying in the Dubai-based Khaleej Times newspaper.

The arrested men have been questioned by police and were undergoing psychological evaluations Saturday. Azouri said the Interior Ministry’s department of social support would try to direct the men away from homosexual behavior — using methods including male hormone treatments, if the men are found to be deficient.

“Because they’ve put society at risk they will be given the necessary treatment, from male hormone injections to psychological therapies,” he said. “It wasn’t just a homosexual act. Now we’re dealing with a kind of marriage. There was a ritual involved.”

Foreigners arrested will be deported after serving any sentences imposed in court, he said.

Azouri said government psychologists were grappling to learn the causes behind an apparent increase in homosexual behavior in the Emirates. The booming economy has lured hundreds of thousands of Western residents and millions of tourists. Azouri said authorities want to be seen to be taking action at a time when complaints of gay behavior were emerging from the country’s schools and myriad shopping malls.

Most cases of homosexual behavior are taboo and violate Emirati laws based on Islamic sharia. Azouri suggested that other countries with laws based on religion, including Christianity and Judaism, would also ban gay behavior and marriage.

“It’s not about freedom of opinion, it’s about respecting religion which forbids this type of behavior,” he said.

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Well that's no surprise.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Well, it is their country.
    Why would one try this in that country?
    Knowing this maybe a death sentence

Rocket River

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I don't condone what that government does at all.

But I'll still go there for vacation...

It's a strange mix of openness and very rigid views there, though. I was there in March with my girlfriend and we kind of made out in the bar of the Grand Hyatt, I don't think it was too much at all :cool: (nothing that would have even raised an eyebrow in the USA or in Germany), but the barkeeper came to us and asked us to stop as this kind of behavior was forbidden in Dubai. I was like...wtf. It was a strange experience :).

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

How many countries outside of a handful in Europe and possibly Canada actually support gay marriage?

6. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

How many support slavery?

7. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

marriage: "The legal union of a man and woman as husband and wife."

slavery: " The state of one bound in servitude as the property of a slaveholder or household."

Equating the two are preposterous.

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

He's not equating them so much as saying that the US, Europe, etc. don't share many of the views that still exist in the world, slavery being an example. Saying that gay marriage doesn't have support outside of a few European nations and Canada doesn't mean much because a large segment of nations around the world don't support rights for women, don't support freedom of the press, don't support freedom of religion, etc. I doubt anyone would claim that those rights shouldn't belong to Americans because Zimbabwe or China don't allow those rights. Aligning one's argument on civil rights with the views of so many nations around the world that don't support the basic civil rights that Americans believe belong to every human being is dumb.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Actually. . .serious question .
    how many countries DO support slavery now?

Rocket River

10. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think anybody out and out legaly supports slavery. From what I understand there are a few African countries where it occurs openly despite legal bans. I think the cocoa bean farming for Chocolate is very heavily tied with slavery.

There are also scores and scores of slavery-like "Indentured servant or Bonded labor" arrangements in places like India, Bangladesh, and Pakistan whereby people enter into debts that are impossible to pay off and are shackled in leg irons and forced to work against the impossible debt.

Of course there are also the "Sex Slaves" in places like The Ukraine and Thailand who are slaves forced to prostitution.

11. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

There are many forms of servitude, and not just the one that we as Americans tend to associate with based on our history.

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Like said, there are different forms of slavery.

In Saudi for example, slavery still exists in a certain form. And then there are those (many) who are barely paid anything (from india, bangladesh, sri lanka etc...) and sometimes aren't even granted the right to go home. (necessary papers etc.)

13. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Or in India, people work their whole lives in servitude to someone else, and their children will work for the masters children and on and on...

14. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Interesting talk of current slavery to be sure but my point was more simple than that. There was a time when slavery was commonly accepted among the world community and it took a brave stance against popular opinion in our country to end it here. What's popular isn't always right and, in the case of civil rights we now regard to be inalienable, it almost never has been. Equality for gays and lesbians is the same all over again. It was once popuplar to believe that the rights of free men didn't apply to blacks and it was once popular to believe the rights of men didn't belong to women. It's no surprise the same resistance exists with regard to the rights of homosexuals. It would actually be surprising if it didn't. Every civil rights struggle is like this before it isn't. When I was a small boy and first learned about slavery and learned that it was commonly accepted even by otherwise good people (seemingly anyway - I didn't know them) I asked myself what we were doing now that would later be regarded as slavery is today. Discrimination against - and resistance to equal rights for - gays and lesbians is a perfect example. One day it will end and the people who once resisted will be as ashamed of that as Robert Byrd is now of his participation with the KKK. That day can't come soon enough.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am not equating them . . . I am asking a question
    Where is Slavery support in this modern era?

Rocket River

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I loathe to use the moral relativism angle in debates.

What if I supported cannibalism if/only if the victims weren't murdered or obviously ill? They aren't harming anyone living, and if they get tested for diseases every month or so, it's the cannibals' choice...

Gay marriage is a very very testy testy debate.... These guys can be pioneers in their own country. I'm not sure what puts me in the position to debate the rights in Dubai culture...

17. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

When something fundamentally goes against most major religions in the world, I have a hard time thinking that people are going to finally "see the light" and accept gay marriage anytime soon....

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I agree
    The only way I see it making its way into some countries
    without the threat of force.

Rocket River

19. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I'm not in much of a position to debate rights in Dubai Culture either but I thought this was an interesting article, particularly the part that they were forcing hormone treatments on gays. I'm not advocating or supporting any of this but it is an interesting look on how harsh gays are treated in a country like Dubai. Its a spin on the nature vs. nurture argument too regarding homosexuality where in Dubai they fall on the nature side but see a need to treat it.

Kind of makes you wonder if you will see groups in the US advocating hormone treatments as cure for gayness.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I respect the differences in cultures. I strongly disagree with Dubai's take on gay human beings (yes, they are human beings... some people clearly have a tendency to neglect that fact), but I respect their right to have a different culture. What they are proposing to do to these people, however, giving them hormone treatments against their will, and with the threat of death as the probable alternative, is no different from the obscene acts of the Nazis of Adolf Hitler. It's no different at all. If I were President, I would have already recalled our ambassador for consultations, and if the Dubai government didn't like that, I would point a finger across the Gulf and ask them if they would prefer being a province of the mullahs"s Iran. Seriously. This is obscene. It's completely inhuman. We are supposed to be a beacon for freedom... why aren't we standing up and telling them they're mad?

Keep D&D Civil.