ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Rockets honored Dwight agreement with agent in letting Parsons out of his contract

Go Back   ClutchFans > Hangout > BBS Hangout

does 100% non-concentrate orange juice have added sugar?
H-Town Info is offline Old 11-08-2005, 01:21 PM   #1
H-Town Info
H-Town Info is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #4544
jw, does 100% non-concentrate oj contain added sugar. my friends thinks that gatorade is better for you since it doesnt have much sugar.

Sponsored Link
droxford is offline Old 11-08-2005, 01:37 PM   #2
droxford
droxford is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedroxford is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedroxford is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedroxford is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedroxford is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedroxford is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Oct 2001
Member: #3227
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Town Info
jw, does 100% non-concentrate oj contain added sugar. my friends thinks that gatorade is better for you since it doesnt have much sugar.
I don't think so. But that just means that it doesn't have "added" sugar. Many foods (like fruits) are high in sugar by nature.

"Sure, you got drunk. That's the best excuse in the world for losing. It's no trouble losing when you've got a good excuse. And winning?! That can be heavy on your back, too - like a monkey. You drop that load, too, when you've got an excuse. All you've gotta do is learn to feel sorry for yourself. It's one of the best indoor sports - feeling sorry for yourself. A sport enjoyed by all.. especially the born loser."

The Real Shady is offline Old 11-08-2005, 01:39 PM   #3
The Real Shady
Contributing Member
The Real Shady is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchThe Real Shady is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchThe Real Shady is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchThe Real Shady is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchThe Real Shady is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchThe Real Shady is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchThe Real Shady is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchThe Real Shady is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchThe Real Shady is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Jun 2000
Member: #1554
I thought Gatorade has a lot of suger in it.

A-Train is offline Old 11-08-2005, 01:51 PM   #4
A-Train
Running With Scissors
A-Train is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jan 2000
Member: #1052
The sugar molecules in fruit (which is also used to sweeten gatorade) is monosaccharide and is more easily broken down than disaccharides, which are used to sweeten soft drinks, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it's 100% natural, it should be OK...

MR. MEOWGI is offline Old 11-08-2005, 01:55 PM   #5
MR. MEOWGI
Contributing Member
MR. MEOWGI is Tim Ohlbrecht -- no reputation yet at all
Since: Jul 2002
Member: #5478
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Train
The sugar molecules in fruit (which is also used to sweeten gatorade) is monosaccharide and is more easily broken down than disaccharides, which are used to sweeten soft drinks, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. If it's 100% natural, it should be OK...
Why does 100% natural juice have corn syrup in it? Or does it?

droxford is offline Old 11-08-2005, 01:56 PM   #6
droxford
droxford is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedroxford is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedroxford is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedroxford is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedroxford is Robert Horry -- just gets the job donedroxford is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. MEOWGI
I would think that since corn syrup comes from corn, they may be able to away with putting it in there.

"Sure, you got drunk. That's the best excuse in the world for losing. It's no trouble losing when you've got a good excuse. And winning?! That can be heavy on your back, too - like a monkey. You drop that load, too, when you've got an excuse. All you've gotta do is learn to feel sorry for yourself. It's one of the best indoor sports - feeling sorry for yourself. A sport enjoyed by all.. especially the born loser."

A-Train is offline Old 11-08-2005, 01:58 PM   #7
A-Train
Running With Scissors
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. MEOWGI
I guess "100% natural" was a bad choice of words, since corn syrup is derived from nature. If it says "100% juice" and there is corn syrup or any other sweetener added, then it's illegal to put 100% juice on there...

droxford is offline Old 11-08-2005, 02:04 PM   #8
droxford
Quote:
I guess "100% natural" was a bad choice of words, since corn syrup is derived from nature. If it says "100% juice" and there is corn syrup or any other sweetener added, then it's illegal to put 100% juice on there...
Yes, but be careful to make sure you buy the kind that's labeled "100% fruit juice" as opposed to "100% juice", 'cause that other stuff may have man-juice in it.

The Real Shady is offline Old 11-08-2005, 02:06 PM   #9
The Real Shady
Contributing Member
The Real Shady is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchThe Real Shady is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchThe Real Shady is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchThe Real Shady is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchThe Real Shady is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchThe Real Shady is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchThe Real Shady is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchThe Real Shady is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watchThe Real Shady is Clyde Drexler -- smooth and a joy to watch
Since: Jun 2000
Member: #1554
This is a very interesting thread.

Xerobull is offline Old 11-08-2005, 02:18 PM   #10
Xerobull
Contributing Member
Xerobull is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsXerobull is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsXerobull is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsXerobull is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsXerobull is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsXerobull is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsXerobull is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsXerobull is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsXerobull is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsXerobull is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boardsXerobull is Moses Malone -- a well-known beast on the boards
Since: Jun 2003
Member: #12692
When I was around four years old, I thought that 'From Concentrate' meant that Walter Conkrite made the O.J.

PhiSlammaJamma is offline Old 11-08-2005, 02:35 PM   #11
PhiSlammaJamma
PhiSlammaJamma is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finePhiSlammaJamma is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finePhiSlammaJamma is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Aug 1999
Member: #692
This reminds me, when maple syrup comes out of a tree it looks just like water. Same consistency too. You can actually tap into it pretty easily. Saw that on the Globe Trekker. Pretty suprising to me.

apostolic3 is offline Old 11-08-2005, 02:45 PM   #12
apostolic3
apostolic3 is Tim Ohlbrecht -- no reputation yet at all
Since: Mar 2003
Member: #11406
I'm going to bust a myth: Fruit juice (including "fresh squeezed") is not that good for you. Orange juice, apple juice, etc isn't much more than sugar water fortified with Vitamin C. Look at the nutrition labels and you will see what I'm talking about.

If you want the full nutritional benefits of fruit, eat the whole fruit, which includes the skin and pulp. These have the fiber and anti-oxidents. Before someone starts joking, of course you don't eat the skin from an orange. The membranes that section off the inside contain the good stuff.

To burst the bubble even more: Juicing vegetables is also a big mistake for the same reason. If you insist on liquifying, pulverize fruit and veggies instead of squeezing the juice out. You keep all of the nutrition benefits this way.

For the record, most orange juice you buy does not have added sugar. It has more than enough on it's own. Adding sugar to orange juice is like adding sugar to Kellogg's Frosted Flakes.

Personally, I recommend Gatorade over orange juice. It has fewer calories because it has much less sugar.

Because of tradition and conventional wisdom, some of you think I'm way off base. Ask a nutritionist or dietician. It will surprise you.

PhiSlammaJamma is offline Old 11-08-2005, 02:51 PM   #13
PhiSlammaJamma
PhiSlammaJamma is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finePhiSlammaJamma is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty finePhiSlammaJamma is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Aug 1999
Member: #692
I just looked at my Topicana Peach Papaya drink. Apparently you need the word REAL Fruit Juice as well. It also says that it contains 5% juice. Which makes you wonder. I probably have a mixture of FAKE juice and REAL Juice. At exactly what percentages I have no idea.

droxford is offline Old 11-08-2005, 02:55 PM   #14
droxford
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSlammaJamma
I just looked at my Topicana Peach Papaya drink. Apparently you need the word REAL Fruit Juice as well. It also says that it contains 5% juice. Which makes you wonder. I probably have a mixture of FAKE juice and REAL Juice. At exactly what percentages I have no idea.
"Topicana Peach Papaya drink" means absolutely nothing. It doesn't have to have peach or papaya in it. It doesn't even have to taste like peach or papaya. when they add that word "drink" at the end, all bets are off. You're drinking kool-aid.

(ever notice that Grape-Nuts has neither grapes nor nuts in it?)

A-Train is offline Old 11-08-2005, 02:59 PM   #15
A-Train
Running With Scissors
Quote:
Originally Posted by apostolic3
I'm going to bust a myth: Fruit juice (including "fresh squeezed") is not that good for you. Orange juice, apple juice, etc isn't much more than sugar water fortified with Vitamin C.
If it has vitamin C, it CAN'T be good for you...

I'm sure the juiceman could STILL kick your ass, though!

A-Train is offline Old 11-08-2005, 03:30 PM   #16
A-Train
Running With Scissors
Oh, and FYI, per 8 oz serving, OJ has 110 calories, 480 mg of potassium, 3 grams of fiber, 100% daily value of vitamin C, 2% daily value of calcium, plus thiamine, niacin, B6, and folate. Plus, OJ doesn't have any sodium. Gatorade only has 50 calories, but it only has 30 mg of potassium, no fiber, and 110 mg of sodium, plus none of the other nutrients.

How exactly is Gatorade better for you than fruit juice? Gatorade is basically salt water that's intended to re-hydrate you after strenuous physical activity. Neither gatorade nor fruit juice was intented to be a replacement for natural water. The sugar in fruit (and gatorade, for that matter) is NOT the same sugar that goes into sodas and desserts.

Would I drink nothing but fruit juice? No...However, to say that gatorade is better for you than fruit juice because it has less sugar is absurd, and any doctor or nutritionist that tells you this probably got their degree by mailing in four cereal box tops with $2.99 shipping and handling...

mulletman is offline Old 11-08-2005, 03:55 PM   #17
mulletman
mulletman is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jun 2002
Member: #4903
Quote:
Originally Posted by apostolic3
Personally, I recommend Gatorade over orange juice. It has fewer calories because it has much less sugar..
but unfortunately (at least according to this site), sports drinks like gatorade are really bad for your teeth...

Quote:
enamel damage caused by non-cola and sports beverages was three to 11 times greater than cola-based drinks, with energy drinks and bottled lemonades causing the most
link

apostolic3 is offline Old 11-08-2005, 04:11 PM   #18
apostolic3
apostolic3 is Tim Ohlbrecht -- no reputation yet at all
Member: #11406
Quote:
Oh, and FYI, per 8 oz serving, OJ has 110 calories, 480 mg of potassium, 3 grams of fiber, 100% daily value of vitamin C, 2% daily value of calcium, plus thiamine, niacin, B6, and folate. Plus, OJ doesn't have any sodium. Gatorade only has 50 calories, but it only has 30 mg of potassium, no fiber, and 110 mg of sodium, plus none of the other nutrients.

How exactly is Gatorade better for you than fruit juice? Gatorade is basically salt water that's intended to re-hydrate you after strenuous physical activity. Neither gatorade nor fruit juice was intented to be a replacement for natural water. The sugar in fruit (and gatorade, for that matter) is NOT the same sugar that goes into sodas and desserts.

Would I drink nothing but fruit juice? No...However, to say that gatorade is better for you than fruit juice because it has less sugar is absurd, and any doctor or nutritionist that tells you this probably got their degree by mailing in four cereal box tops with $2.99 shipping and handling...
The question pertained to sugar, which is why I focused on that aspect only. I don't recommend anyone drink large amounts of either gatorade or orange juice. As you state, gatorade has too much salt (and OJ has too much sugar). Gatorade's specific purpose is for replenishment after hard exercise. I still don't drink even for that.

Yes, the sugar that occurs naturally in OJ is not exactly the same as the sugar in desserts and sodas, but it has just as many calories and is no better for you. This is a very long topic by itself.

I though I made it clear the opinion of drinking gatorade over OJ was my own. I meant to consult a doctor for comparing fruit vs. fruit juices and vegetables vs. vegetable juices.

You don't need to tell me about water. Ozarka Spring Water is exactly why I don't drink gatorade or fruit juices.

fba34 is offline Old 11-08-2005, 04:43 PM   #19
fba34
fba34 is Patrick Beverley -- showing a lot of promise
Since: May 2001
Member: #2523
why are calories bad for you? its only bad if you take in more calories than you're using, which would lead to gaining fat weight.

also why is non-concentrated better than concentrated? i always thought that concentrated just means that water was removed. does it mean something else in the food industry?

btw, i drink a glass of concentrated orang/apple juice a day for the vitamin c. its cheap, and easier than buying oranges, always some bad ones in the bunch.

swilkins is offline Old 11-08-2005, 04:49 PM   #20
swilkins
Contributing Member
swilkins is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Member: #11220
How many grams of sugar is reported in the nutrition facts?

That might only be a good test, if you compared 2 side by side. Unfortunately, I'm thinking that sugars might also include the natural frustose that is part of the natural fruit.