ClutchFans
ClutchFans
ClutchFans Latest:
Podcast: Rockets-Blazers Series Preview with Adam Wexler

Go Back   ClutchFans > Basketball > NBA Dish

aldridge: 'bryant contacted a team and begged the team to trade for him'.
Tags:  basketball, chicago, kobe bryant, los angeles lakers, nba, trade, wizards Tags
Achebe is offline Old 01-12-2001, 04:12 PM   #1
Achebe
Contributing Member
Achebe is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Oct 1999
Member: #918
Quote:
Here's how serious this is: I know for a fact that last month, Bryant contacted a team and begged the team to trade for him. (All I can say about the team is that it isn't very good.) Kobe told the team he wanted to lead the league in scoring and win MVP honors and couldn't do it in L.A. The team said they'd love to make the Lakers an offer for Kobe, but didn't have anything the Lakers would want. When you think of it, who does?
damn. what team isn't very good that kobe would call?

1) chicago - too cheesey b/c of the Jordan thing.
2) wizards? maybe?
3) philly? it's his home, but I think that even aldridge would know that they're at the top of the east.

weird. I wonder who it was.

------------------
We're going to stay together until something happens, if something happens. - Sidney Lowe on Shareef's career in Vancouver.

Sponsored Link
Steve_Francis_rules is offline Old 01-12-2001, 04:34 PM   #2
Steve_Francis_rules
Steve_Francis_rules is James Harden -- racking up the pointsSteve_Francis_rules is James Harden -- racking up the pointsSteve_Francis_rules is James Harden -- racking up the pointsSteve_Francis_rules is James Harden -- racking up the pointsSteve_Francis_rules is James Harden -- racking up the pointsSteve_Francis_rules is James Harden -- racking up the points
Since: Dec 1999
Member: #1023
Even if Kobe wants individual glory, why would he want to go to a terrible team to do it?
Those teams you mentioned seem like the only real options (maybe atlanta as well) because they no one to give for kobe in return and they would allow him to take every shot he wanted.

------------------

Dr of Dunk is offline Old 01-12-2001, 05:15 PM   #3
Dr of Dunk
Clutch Crew
Dr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemDr of Dunk is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Aug 1999
Member: #676
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve_Francis_rules:
Even if Kobe wants individual glory, why would he want to go to a terrible team to do it?
Individual glory would be easiest to attain on a team with no one to compete with. If there's nobody else on the team, who else is the team going to go to but you? It's exactly why he would want to separate himself from Shaq.

------------------
"Don't slap the glass Mobley, slap my ass...yeeeoooow!" -- HeyPartner decides to out himself. Makes you wonder if he's calling ISO's and 2 Shakes for himself... hehe

RocketsPimp is offline Old 01-12-2001, 05:36 PM   #4
RocketsPimp
Contributing Member
RocketsPimp is Omer Asik -- working the boardsRocketsPimp is Omer Asik -- working the boardsRocketsPimp is Omer Asik -- working the boardsRocketsPimp is Omer Asik -- working the boards
Since: Feb 1999
Member: #144
If this is true, I hope dicknose gets his wish because the odds are he'd be double/triple teamed, forced to pass the ball to his bad teammates and his "skills" would be totally wasted thus lowering his output and ruin his chances at leading the league in scoring and winning any rings or MVP's.

Have a nice day Kobe...ya shmuck!

------------------
Go vote for Steve Francis for the All-Star game!! You only have until Sunday!!

Vote for Francis!

Jeff is offline Old 01-12-2001, 08:41 PM   #5
Jeff
Clutch Crew
Jeff is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJeff is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJeff is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJeff is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJeff is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJeff is Robert Horry -- just gets the job doneJeff is Robert Horry -- just gets the job done
Since: Feb 1999
Member: #7
My bet would be NY. It has the glitz and glamour of LA but no real singular star. LA could end up with Sprewell or Houston and NY could get a big name.

------------------
I am very very sleepy.

Achebe is offline Old 01-12-2001, 08:49 PM   #6
Achebe
Contributing Member
I'm guessing you're right Jeff. NY fits the big atmosphere that Kobe seems to like.

NY also fits the mood of the phrase "it isn't very good". That phrase is distinctly different than saying the team is mediocre, or bad. A team that "isn't very good" can still win a bunch of games, they just don't dominate, and its (the team's) holes are obvious.

Of course I'm completely full of @#$t, but I still agree w/ you.

------------------
We're going to stay together until something happens, if something happens. - Sidney Lowe on Shareef's career in Vancouver.

Mango is offline Old 01-12-2001, 08:55 PM   #7
Mango
Contributing Member
Mango is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineMango is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Sep 1999
Member: #751
Yep, when the defense doubles down on Camby, Kobe would get plenty of open looks.

NY doesn't sound right. They do have some trade bait at the 2/3 in Spree & Houston.

Mango

------------------
Lets get the Mo Go working!
Test Your NBA Trade Ideas
1. Put new topics in the proper forum.
Things happening in the rest of the NBA
2. Use clear wording for new threads.
3. No duplicate threads
4. Conduct yourself as an adult.
The Serious Police are watching.
Donate Blood or be assimilated!

Achebe is offline Old 01-12-2001, 08:58 PM   #8
Achebe
Contributing Member
Maybe after the end of the year, when the Blazers win the title, Kobe will be traded to the Kings for Webber.

------------------

Mango is offline Old 01-12-2001, 09:06 PM   #9
Mango
Contributing Member
Mango is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineMango is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Achebe,

Don't you think that he would end up in the East so he would be in LA only twice a year for a Laker game and a Clipper game?

Mango

------------------
3. No duplicate threads

Achebe is offline Old 01-12-2001, 09:34 PM   #10
Achebe
Contributing Member
Mango,

I'm wondering if w/ a player of Kobe's stature you just get the best possible roi and assume what everyone else is assuming... that w/o having a significant clog in the middle that he'll turn into Stackhouse.

I personally don't buy the notion that Kobe is going to turn into Stackhouse (who's playing pretty damn well right now I might add). I personally think that Kobe can be greater than MJ... but only if his ego doesn't push every other player away from him.

If he does leave, he has to play the wounded hero and insist that Shaq can't hit fts (he can't) and that therefore it's a moot point.

IMO, Kobe is a better player than Shaq. This breakdown was inevitable. Too bad Shaq isn't dependable in the fourth, or else his 'status quo' argument would be more sound.

At least as a fan of another team, we get to see turmoil.

------------------

Summer Song Giver is offline Old 01-12-2001, 10:08 PM   #11
Summer Song Giver
Summer Song Giver is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineSummer Song Giver is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fineSummer Song Giver is Chandler Parsons -- lookin' mighty fine
Since: Sep 2000
Member: #1889
To the other LA for Odom and Richardson,then we'll see how great Kobe really is....for those of you unable to recognize sarcasm how great Kobe really is is oozing with it.I actually saw this somewhere(didn't materialize from the depths of Summer Song's mind)Also I didn't look at salaries but my bet is if the front offices wanted to make it happen they could.

------------------
Now chew through my ball sack

Mango is offline Old 01-12-2001, 10:26 PM   #12
Mango
Contributing Member
Shaq + Odom + Q > Kandi Man + Kobe

If it was August, I could see the Lakers giving thought to that trade.

Mango

------------------
3. No duplicate threads

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited January 12, 2001).]

vj23k is offline Old 01-13-2001, 12:58 AM   #13
vj23k
Contributing Member
vj23k is Terrence Jones -- on a good road but it's early
Since: Jul 2000
Member: #1699
IF Chicago really is a possibility, here's a trade that might happen and that benefits both teams involved.

Los Angeles trades:

Kobe Bryant
Devean George
Medvedenko

Chicago trades:

Ron Mercer
Marcus Fizer
Ron Artest
Michael Ruffin
Khalid El-Amin

How it benefits the Bulls
They acquire a great player in Devean George

How it benefits the Lakers:

They acquire more depth and more balanced scoring

Shaq/Madsen
Grant/Fizer/Ruffin
Horry/Artest/Fox
Mercer/Rider/Shaw
Harper/El-Amin/Penberthy

It leaves them without a true backup center, but they do have 4 good power forwards, 3 of whom can play center.

------------------
President of the Charles Barkley fan club...Oh he retired? When?

Steve_Francis_rules is offline Old 01-13-2001, 12:37 PM   #14
Steve_Francis_rules
Steve_Francis_rules is James Harden -- racking up the pointsSteve_Francis_rules is James Harden -- racking up the pointsSteve_Francis_rules is James Harden -- racking up the pointsSteve_Francis_rules is James Harden -- racking up the pointsSteve_Francis_rules is James Harden -- racking up the pointsSteve_Francis_rules is James Harden -- racking up the points
I wouldn't call Madsen a good NBA power forward.
Pimp, if being the only man on a team makes it harder to score, how come guys like Jordan (when he was first in the league) and Stackhouse and Iverson (earlier in his career) were able to put up numbers?

------------------

vj23k is offline Old 01-13-2001, 04:00 PM   #15
vj23k
Contributing Member
He is only a rookie, and he has shown flshes of being a good 4 in the leauge.

------------------

Steve_Francis_rules is offline Old 01-13-2001, 04:42 PM   #16
Steve_Francis_rules
It doesn't matter if Mark Madsen, the NBA rookie has shown flashes of being a good 4 in this league in his very limited playing time (which he uses to average less than 2 points and 2 rebounds per game. You aren't a good player in this league until you can consistently play well. Which is why I would not yet consider Fizer or Ruffin good players yet, either.
Fizer definitely has the most potential of these three and I think he will eventually be a good power forward, but he is not yet.
A team like the Lakers, who are competing for an NBA championship, need players who can consistently play well now, so that they can continue winning, as opposed to players who may someday become good enough to get significant playing time on a winning team.

------------------

vj23k is offline Old 01-14-2001, 01:45 AM   #17
vj23k
Contributing Member
And since the deal was based on "if they were gonna trade one of them( which they wont)" this MIGHT be a deal that is possible.

They have been looking to get some more balanced scoring. Mercer can put up 18 points a night,Artest can give you 10, Fizer provides them with 10 THIS season, and possible more in seasons to come.

I dont think this deal would happen, but if LA and Chicago were going to deal, this would be what it would be like.

------------------

Steve_Francis_rules is offline Old 01-14-2001, 12:15 PM   #18
Steve_Francis_rules
oh ok, mercer is in there too. That's a much better trade for the lakers, when i first looked at that I didn't see Ron Mercer's name.
That still doesn't change the fact that you a player shouldn't be considered good just because he has the potential to someday be good.

------------------

The Cat is offline Old 01-14-2001, 03:42 PM   #19
The Cat
Contributing Member
The Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite HakeemThe Cat is Yao Ming -- damn good but not quite Hakeem
Since: Jan 2000
Member: #1090
NBAtalk reported today that he called Michael Jordan and asked the Wizards to make a move for him. Of course, they have nothing valuable in return to give to the Lakers.

------------------
President of the Jason Collier and Mo Taylor fan club!

Draftsource.net
ClutchTown.com

Steve_Francis_rules is offline Old 01-14-2001, 04:13 PM   #20
Steve_Francis_rules
Washington is a realistic possibility. They suck, and would give Kobe every offensive opportunity he wanted, and they have no players with any market value to give back.

------------------