1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amare talks LA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Zboy, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cheapseats/articles/0914p2main0914.html

Phoenix Suns fans are going to have a heart attack if Amare leaves them to join LA. That would be too cruel considering what they went thru with the whole Joe Johnson fiasco. If I am LA, chances are not too bad for stealing away Amare. They can entice him with a chance to play with Kobe in his prime. Nash is only going to last 1 or 2 more years. After Nash era, Suns will go back to a semi-rebuilding mode. If Suns do not sign him to an extension this year, I say Amare bolts out of Phoenix. He will realize that his chances of getting an NBA ring is better in LA than in Phoenix.

You might say this is all talk. But if I am a Suns fan I am asking myself, "Why havent they signed him up to an extension already?!?!"

On a side note.... Amare and Kobe vs. Yao and Tmac has all the potential to be the next Celtics vs Lakers rivalry.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

As much as it pains me to say it... Amare at least leaving his options open to go to LA makes more sense than him signing the extension before the season starts with Phoenix.

The first thing to look at is not just the money... but the quality of the team. While LA is nowhere near competing for a ring, Phoenix has a ton of questions entering this season that they weren't anticipating to have after a 60 win, league MVP year.

First of all, nobody knows how the loss of Joe Johnson and Q-Rich will effect their uptempo game. As long as they have Nash, it likely won't be that big of a deal (and they'll be better of w/ Thomas defensively, and the extra cap space)... but if an injury were to happen to Nash (who played more last year... despite being chronically injury prone, and one year older), they'd be even worse off than they were before.

Also, long-term-wise, you have to look at the viability of the Suns after Nash's contract is up in 3 more years, or as age sets in on him. The Suns have fluctuated TREMENDOUSLY the last 4 years, in terms of progress. One year they're in the lottery getting Shawn Marion... the next year, they're the new upstart team... the year after that, they're in the lottery and they've fired their coach... then they get Nash and and all is well again.

Taking all above into account, one would point to LA and say its a definite possibility... and then you consider the endorsement opportuinities, and the legitimate shot to contend for years with Kobe reaching his prime and P.Jackson probably staying until they win another one (if they land that big-time FA)... and all of a sudden, Amare would look foolish to not go there (let alone at least CONSIDER going there).

I know you're probably gonna ask, "If Yao turned down LA for Houston, why wouldn't Amare turn LA down for a much better place like Phoenix..." Well, unfortunately Yao and Amare are not the same type of person. Amare knows he's gonna get paid loads wherever he goes... but some may say that being the BIG STAR is more lucrative to him than it would be to Yao (and LA would give that to either of them).

Secondly, Yao already has Tracy McGrady and an excellent coach, and a now suddenly DEEP supporting staff in place to make a run within the next 2 years, guaranteed. Amare has an aging PG (who is still the best PG in the game), a coach who has not proven anything except that he knows that playing Steve Nash will win you more games than not playing him, and a supporting staff which will largely be different than the one that won them 60 games.

In the end... if I was his agent... I'd see how the Suns did THIS year and make the decision based on that. They're not going to sneak up on anybody anymore, and injuries could play a bigger role than they did last year when they were relatively injury-free. Also... D'antoni's lack of ability to make adjustments will really be tested, as I'm sure somebody will try and emulate the Spurs formula of defense they put on them (see NFL: Rams - Mike Martz).

#2 Nick, Sep 14, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2005
  3. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

I have a feeling that Amare is just using the opportunity to do everything that Yao didn't do, as expressed by Ric Bucher. He's causing up a stir, a controversy to get some attention. He'll sign an extension with the Suns, maybe with an opt-out clause. All the Sun fans and media in Phoenix will adore him that much more for not abandoning them. I just don't see him leaving Phoenix.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Deep down, I don't either... I just thought that there's a chance that he'll see how this year plays out before he signs the extension. Then again, that is a risky ploy simply because one fluke injury could ruin your career.

5. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

The guy is going to sign that extension. I'm 99% sure about it. He can't really leave Phoenix for another two years with his restricted free agency and all. And there's really no point in putting it off. He'll sign that max contract with an opt out clause in year 3 or 4. Then when he's 26-27 years old, he can go into free agency with $40-50 million in his pocket and decide what he wants to do then.

Same thing with Lebron. He'll reupp with Cleveland for sure. He's so young that he can get a max contract, make tens of millions, and still change teams at the age of 25-26 if things don't work out.

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yeah, Amare isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

But it's fun to speculate that he might. Problem is, that's what fans of other teams did regarding Yao; and Amare can't afford to pass up a max contract, not when every player is a Grant Hill Injury away from deep doo-doo.

7. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Looks like The Lakers are gearing themselves up for the Marcus Haislip and Curtis Borchardt sweepstakes now...

8. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

I think Amare's just having fun with the media and will re-sign soon. I think there is a slim chance LeBron may test the waters. But if the Cavs have a very good year, the Lakers can cross him off too.

9. bhanchod

bhanchod Member

Nice post Nick, however please clue me in as to why does everyone think Nash is injuryprone. HE has averaged more than 75 games a season for the past four years. He was injured most of his first season in dallas, but I don't think it is fair to say that he is "injury prone" He only missed three games last season. Granted he is older and may be get injured more eaily NOW, but I don't know if history supports that...what do you think?

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He's never had a history of big-time injuries that would sideline him for months... but when he was in Dallas, he often had a lot of nagging injuries that he would play through (even though it would hamper his performance)... and then by the time the playoffs rolled around, his body was not in great shape.

I was suprised how well he held up last season... and a lot of that was probably due to him getting some extra rest in the games that Phoenix was blowing teams out of the water.

But, you're right... in the end, the guy shows up and plays. He is a year older, however, and we all know that once age "hits you", there's no turning back.

11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

From the article linked.

12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Amare just wants his max deal ASAP.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

you guys missed the most important part of the article

14. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Even Amare knows that he will suck without Nash on his team.

15. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

thats all fine and dandy, but cap-wise how are the lakers going to afford that max contract?

16. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

He can sign his max deal TODAY if he wants, that's not the issue.

17. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

Screw Kobe! If i'm Amare, i go play with Lebron in the Eastern Conference where he can get thrown 10 dimes a night and dominate every year. Shaq will be a dud by the time Amare gets there and Cleveland could put together a nice supporting cast with good draft picks and FA's by then. That seems like a more scary combo to me if executed properly. Then again i have no idea of their cap situation. Plus i mainly wrote this because i just like seeing the Lakers miss out on all the big names and have hated Phoenix since the old days. Not to mention getting Amare out of the West would be a blessing. Odds of happening: .15% :(

18. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I think Cleveland's cap space is very limited. They made a lot of signings this offseason and seem to be going down the route of most Eastern Conference teams, and that's relying on their success through the backcourt game. I've always likened the Eastern Conference to a small ball league. It's chock full of two guards, but very limited in big men.

19. pacertom

pacertom Member

His wife is glad that sore nuts weren't affecting his play.

Lop off those jewels...

:eek: :D

20. monkeyboy32

monkeyboy32 Contributing Member

i wanna see amare's numbers playing alongside kobe :D. whereas Nash would let him finish to fill the stat sheet, somehow it's gonna be different with Kobe...