1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our Government Has Failed Us

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket G, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member

As a people...

This is nightmarish... surreal.

American citizens fighting for their lives. In what used to be one of our largest, most vibrant, most vital cities...

Authorities taking kids' pets away before they relocate them? Thousands even tonight as we sleep safe in our beds trapped on roofs, in attics -trapped... The "authorites" afraid to go in and rescue people for fear of getting shot at. Tonight, for the first time in my life, I doubt our government's utility.

This is a disgrace. An utter ****ing disgrace. Beyond any political boundaries...

Our "leaders" are ****. We have to depend on each other, on God, on hope.

Jesus. **** rag magazines envisioned this scenario weeks, years ago! Did NO ONE in our government plan for this? WTF DO these people plan on? Where do our taxes go?

I urge everyone to do whatever they can to help the people in need. One day we might need that help ourselves, and based on what we've seen this past week, it will be our fellow citizens that will ultimately come to our aid - NOT our government.

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

1. This didn't warant a new thread in the Hangout.

2. NO is a freakin BOWL! What do you expect? This was inevitable.

3. yeah, It's the gov's fault that a Hurricane hit North America.

4. THis has been a terrible tragedy, which was un avoidable, no matter what. It was a matter of time before the "big one" hit NO.

3. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member

1. I don't have access to D&D if this is controversial to you as an opinion.

2. Exactly why our government failed us. They should have been more prepared than the ****ing editors of Popular Science.

3. I didn't blame the government for the hurricane you fool, I blame them for the inept response to it.

4. It WAS avoidable. People have been warning about this for years. Six weeks ago, US News & World Report ran a story on what might happen in this situation. The levees were only built to handle a Cat 3, despite the fact that the Gulf & FLA have been getting raped by 'canes since time immemorial and Cat 4 & 5's are always a possibility.

#3 Rocket G, Sep 2, 2005
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2005
  4. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I agree the government should've seen it like the should see that the whole West Coast is built on fault lines or that there's a major fault line under Missouri that could erupt, or that in Florida and the Atlantic seaboard people have heavily built on barrier islands putting them smack dab in the middle of danger and also reducing the ability of the islands to protect the coasts from storms.

There's a lot to blame the government for but right now we need the government if we ever needed it.

No NGO or collection of private individuals can deal with a disaster this size. You're right when the next election rolls around a bit more than a year from now we should take Congress and state govs to task but in the meantime we've got a major disaster to deal with.

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Figures...

Nothing personal to you, just they way you wrote your original post in this thread.

6. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

That's it smart guy, cast blame. :rolleyes:

The time to really gripe is after you've exhausted all means of support, and after things are rebuilt. Then, head up a political party for changes to be made in all of the 100+ year old towns that lie in danger due to the lack of scientific knowledge of said dangers 100+ years ago. :rolleyes:

This is no individual group's fault. This was generations of denial, and the law of averages paying their dues.

Lighten up. Try expending the same energy in your post as the leader of a fund or food drive...

I know it's frustrating, but this is surreal for all of us.
    :(

7. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

I support the administration. However, I do think the government should have sent in thousands of troops immediately to quell this lawlessness and assist in rescue. I don't know why it has taken 4 days.

8. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

<b>Rocket G

1. I don't have access to D&D if this is controversial to you as an opinion.</b>

I wonder why...

<B>2. Exactly why our government failed us. They should have been more prepared than the ****ing editors of Popular Science.</b>

All the editors needed was a sharp pencil...

<B>3. I didn't blame the government for the hurricane you fool, I blame them for the inept response to it.</b>

We're all glad that you're such an expert. Why don't we just call a do-over...

<B>4. It WAS avoidable. People have been warning about this for years. Six weeks ago, US News & World Report ran a story on what might happen in this situation. The levees were only built to handle a Cat 3, despite the fact that the Gulf & FLA have been getting raped by 'canes since time immemorial and Cat 4 & 5's are always a possibility.</B>

People were asked to leave. A lot did. Are you calling for martial law before the disaster even struck?

9. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

It's too bad you don't have access to the D&D because that is where this thread is going.

I understand you are frustrated and I feel the same way, but you really shouldn't subject a whole forum to this. This thread is as inappropriate for this forum as me posting "What's in Your CD Player" in the GARM.

10. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

A lot of the folks here seem to be upset at Rocket G for his statement. While it could have been worded a little more succintly, there is a lot of truth to it.

I'll try not to repeat what I've said already several times in the D&D. It is a disgrace - there is NO excuse for it taking so long to get order restored and the people evacuated.

It is true that New Orleans has been facing this threat for ages, and generations are culpable for not shoring up the defenses better. But the response time to such an obviously serious event has been pathetic.

It's not fair to blame Bush for the levees. He cut funding, but so did others - and in reality it probably would not have made a significant differance. But he is the Commander in Chief and the face of our nation. That the army is taking so long is ridiculous. His empty words of "quick" help and an upcoming "tour" are poison to those of us with relatives in the New Orleans area. Actions speak louder than words - and the actions as of late have not been loud enough. It fills me with rage and sorrow.

I'll be heading to the North Shore area next weekend with two truckloads of supplies for my family members. I suspect that will be the first "aid" they recieve.

11. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Personally, I'm a little surprised there would be any debate over this. It is all very evident. The fact is that this was declared a disaster before the storm even hit and people are dying in the streets of dehydration because lack of preparedness of our government. Everyone can point to how they didn't leave, but not everybody leaves when impending disaster looms. It's the nature of the beast. Now, I understand how people can be turned off by G's passionate thread starting tirade, but to respond with rolleyes is a bit assinine.

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

RELIGION, POLITICS = automatic D&D Material. Well said. Muy bien dicho.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i think we all know that this thread should be in D&D but for now it is not.

just curious Rocket G....which government are you blaming? city? state? federal? if you are blaming the federal government then you are way off base. if you are placing blame on the state and local governments then you are spot on. they had no sort of planning at all.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Well said.

15. codell

codell Contributing Member

I agree.

RocketG seems to be quite found of every other word in his post being vulgar.

16. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

the people have failed us, not the government.

the people with guns shooting at relief efforts.

the looting.

the gangs.

it takes organization to help these people. they tried dropping food in via helicopter and the thugs ended up fighting and hoarding.

this happened 6 days ago help has been steadily arriving.

17. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Agreed...Don't forget the prisoners that were released...C'mon, this type of devestation was not predicted...Is help arriving, yes, and can we all do our part, sure can, just see Jeff's post about the Relief Help...Move this to the D&D, oops, he has no access...

18. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

IT WAS PREDICITED.

19. cson

cson Contributing Member

I hear your point:

20. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

and "the big one" is predicted in LA. some tasks are impossible to totally prepare for. it's sad but true. the reaction has been commendable. yes, it has been slow but the benefits of a proper and thorough action plan supercede those of an "aid bombarment" with no organization.