1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Triple Crown Horse Racing Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Beavis Stiffler, May 2, 2014.

1. Beavis Stiffler

Also, I think horse racing needs to change its schedule. Keep the Kentucky Derby in May then move the Preakness to June and the Belmont Stakes to July.

Three races in six weeks is too much for a horse. That's like a starting pitcher playing four complete games (36 innings) in two weeks.

2. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Horse Racing could get so many more fans if they change some stuff. As Beavis said up above, spacing the races out a little bit further would be one thing. And although Cobrunn (owner of California Chrome) was a little harsh and crass with his comments and thus came across as a sour grapes guy, he is right about it not being fair that there are horses running the Belmont and not running the other 2.

I was almost FIVE years old the last time there was a triple crown winner. Of course, I don't remember anything about Affirmed so I feel that I have been cheated out of not seeing a triple crown winner in my lifetime.

3. Beavis Stiffler

The Breeders Cup is tomorrow. 7pm on NBC.

Here are the current odds (these might change by tomorrow late afternoon):

Shared Belief 7-5

Tonalist 11-2

Bayern 13-2

California Chrome 7-1

Toast Of New York 12-1

Zivo 15-1

V.E. Day 20-1

Cigar Street 20-1

Footbridge 20-1

Candy Boy 25-1

Moreno 25-1

Majestic Harbor 30-1

Imperative 30-1

Prayer For Relief 30-1

Big Cazanova 40-1

So if Chrome wins, does this count as a "Triple Crown"?

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

No, that's not a Triple Crown. Part of the difficulty of the TC is the closenss in time from each race to the other...and the difference of length of teh tracks.

Winning 2 races in the Spring and 1 in the late Fall does not = Triple Crown

5. PhiSlammaJamma

My greatest bet was on Birdstone at the Preakness, 36-1. I was in shock when he crossed the finish line first.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Slightly off-topic, but what was the BBS triple crown again?

- a thread started about you
    - being quoted on the front page
    - ...?

7. Beavis Stiffler

Here's the replay of today's race.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2tp8mT3b0NE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>