1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vin Baker Working to Become Manager of Starbucks Coffee Shop

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by peleincubus, Jul 28, 2015.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2533420-former-nba-all-star-vin-baker-working-to-become-manager-of-starbucks-coffee-shop?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

The Providence Journal's Kevin McNamara (h/t ProBasketballTalk's Kurt Helin) published a heartening feature Monday telling the tale of Vin Baker's life after basketball.

A four-time NBA All-Star and Olympic gold-medal winner (2000), Baker ended his professional basketball career with the Los Angeles Clippers after the 2005-06 season.

Since then, he's battled alcoholism and financial missteps, gotten sober and become a pastor. His latest move, as McNamara reports, is setting a course toward becoming the full-time manager of a Starbucks in North Kingstown, Rhode Island.

"I love North Kingstown," Baker told McNamara. "It reminds me of my hometown, so it's comfortable. I like this community. Starbucks draws a lot of repeat customers, and so many know me now."

Baker is currently working behind the counter as a barista and learning the ropes of the business at an operational level. It's not the most traditional gig for a guy who earned $100 million playing basketball at the highest level, but he says it's part of his overall plan for personal redemption:

When you learn lessons in life, no matter what level you're at financially, the important part to realize is it could happen. I was an alcoholic, I lost a fortune. I had great talent and lost it. For the people on the outside looking in, they're like 'Wow.' For me, I'm 43 and I have four kids. I have to pick up the pieces. I'm a father. I'm a minister in my father's church. I have to take the story and show that you can bounce back. If I use my notoriety in the right way, most people will appreciate this guy is just trying to bounce back in his life.

Baker credits his opportunity at Starbucks to company CEO Howard Schultz, who owned the Seattle SuperSonics during his four-season stretch on the team from 1997-2002.

As for basketball, nowadays Baker is still trying to catch on with an NBA team in a coaching capacity. Until he gets that call, however, he's minding the roast and slowly taking over the caffeine cartel.

Get that money, Vin, and remember: He who controls the coffee controls the world.

Went from making star bucks and being a bucks star to literally making Starbucks.

1 person likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Good for him. He is still young and seemed well grounded.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ty Lawson is an alcoholic and he should follow this and stop until it is too late

4. Asian Sensation

Buck story bro.

5. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

Wow Vin Baker is only 43?

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Good to hear he's doing much better now.

7. dragonwill

dragonwill Member

How can people lost 100 million of money? Thats crazy man.

8. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Not that crazy. A lot of regular people at age 42, don't have much in savings either. At least Vin Baker was the very best at something for some amount of time.

9. hakeemthagreat

Great to hear. Tremendous player but when he was here he was trash. Remember thinking how bad he looked in a Rockets uni

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Isn't he more suited for managing a bakery.

3 people like this.
  11. Newlin

Newlin Member

I wish him well. Life isn't always easy, even for guys who have made millions of dollars.

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Glad that he's doing better. I always felt bad for the guy. He seemed sad even when he was among the best in the NBA.

I wish him luck.

13. underrated015

underrated015 Member

Still remember the Kemp - Baker trade. Supersonic teams were very good then. Hated playing them in Seattle. Those were excellent three point shooting teams.

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Don't you mean until it's too latte?

1 person likes this.
  15. dragonwill

dragonwill Member

NBA life style is expensive.

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

You did not go there?!?!?

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

Not too shabby

[​IMG]

18. Juxtaposed Jolt

No, it's pretty crazy. But that's life as an athlete / ultra rich person, I suppose. You can't really compare what an athlete earns, to what a regular joe earns. When you're comparing an annual salary of $40,000 to one of $4,000,000 or so, the former tends to save up some because they simply don't earn enough to splurge. the latter might be more tempted by peers, a better life, etc, and doesn't stop until it's too late.

I forget what Vin Baker's life was about, but the article mentions alcoholism.

19. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

geez, man. that would be one helluva story to hear.

20. marky :)

marky :) Member

Glad he is doing better with his life but I really have no sympathy when an athlete becomes broke after making that much money.