1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Credit Cards] Cashback or Reward Points?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by primtim24, Jun 17, 2015.

?

Cashback or Reward Points?

1. Cashback Card

27 vote(s)
    47.4%
  2. Reward Points

22 vote(s)
    38.6%
  3. Just a Check Card

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Straight Cash Homie!

8 vote(s)
    14.0%
  1. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

The links on the freefrequentflyermiles and subsequent flyertalk wiki page for the Explorer card are not working for me :) I'm only offered the 30,000 bonus miles. That's too bad, I think this made my decision for me to apply for the Chase Sapphire instead. I can definitely still make use of the 1:1 within United/Southwest, and look into United for the international flight.

I think I'm happy with this one for now and will forego the homework needed for the AmEx/Emirates points

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

can i refer you to CSP please?? let me know ;);)

3. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

Often times if you go into a Chase bank they will give you the 50,000 miles. I can refer you for 5,000 more I think too.

4. Sajan

Sajan Member

chase ultimate rewards. great for transferring to southwest or united on a 1 to 1 basis.

parents have capital one venture 2%. good also.

5. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

I'm still doing a bit of reading on it all but I will let you know if I do end up applying for one of these two cards - happy to be referred. I'll PM later in the day

6. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Chase Freedom card, 10% cash back on amazon... i know where im doing all of my shopping the rest of the year

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i don't think they have done that before. pretty good

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I still have a hard time not using my debit card but i'm trying to earn more points. I have cash back cards but they aren't as good as a good points card

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

We stop using our debit card about a year ago. The liability coverage is better for credit versus debit. I have heard that bad transactions on your debit card are harder to get corrected and you are out the money until they do.

FWIW we are now using 2% cash back Amex.

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I didn't know people still use their debit cards if they had a credit card.

The last time I touched my debit card was when I needed to money gram some $$$ to family.

Other than that, it's all about the cash back.

I have that 2% amex on it's way to me , until then I pretty much use my C1 Quick Silver card except for places that my Discover earns me 5%+...

11. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

http://www.daveramsey.com/blog/the-basics-of-your-debit-card/

I have a Chase Visa debit card and was just reimbursed a couple of months ago for an unauthorized transaction (restaurant ran my card on someone elses bill), all it took was a surprisingly easy phone call and they put the money back into my account very quickly from what I recall.

12. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

that's great but I would still caution using debit cards to mitigate the risks. Suppose you were unaware that your debit card was compromised and the fraudulent charge was large enough to cause you to overdraft on your next purchase. Avoiding the stress of knowing that your cash has basically disappeared is enough to deter me from using debit cards. I'd rather let the credit card company take the hit and remove the fraudulent charges. None of my actual money is ever lost.

13. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Same here. Only times I've had to use my Debit card in the past few months is for cash at the ATM (shout out to free ATM's even at the strip club if you have Charles Schwab), and for the rare occasion a merchant doesn't take AMEX

+1 on the credit card liability coverage. It's a hassle to dispute something with your bank. I don't think AMEX has ever sided with anyone but me when I've had to dispute soemthing.

14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

10% cash back is insane.
    **** my 1% cash back from Capital One.