1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

READING: Digital Media or Old Style Paper Media

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Jul 18, 2014.

Tags:
?

Which do you prefer for reading - Digital or Paper [Books]

1. Digitial

14 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Books! #OldSchool

14 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. What's Reading?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I just read the Facebooks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I find I can read longer and with more focus with paper in hand
    The kindles/Apps/Nooks etc . .. don't work as well for me

Esp when I am attempting to read comics
    I am slowly moving in that direction but . . .. . .I DON'T LIKE IT!

What is your preference?

Any way to better acclomate to the digital format?
    Reading Comics on it seems more bothersome etc
    Having in to zoom and move focus etc
    Though some digital motion comics are not so bad

Rocket River

1 person likes this.
  2. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

Why read when you got the TV?

3. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I miss being able to read the newspaper in the morning without stupid banner ads and autoplay videos.

The Chronicle website is just a beast, and not very user friendly, IMO.

In before the "Chronicle sucks, sucks only having one newspaper, Pancakes, etc."

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Definitely

Rocket River

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

People read the Chronicle? I am surprised that it is still in business.
    [/snark]

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

for REAL SNARK ---> Read the Comments section on any article

Rocket River
    It makes living in this city scary knowing those people are out there

7. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

I use and enjoy both formats but have trended more towards digital. With an iPad and a Kindle you could be set for nearly anything and carry less than 2lbs.

For comics, nothing can beat the actual thing. Page layouts, colors, just being tangible makes it all the better. That being said, I DO read a lot of comics digitally on an iPad. Marvel Unlimited is near perfect on an iPad and you have access to thousands of their comics. Comixology is great too...the guided view is pretty awesome.

For books (fiction) I almost exclusively read on a kindle. It took a while but once I realized how easy it is to download a book and have it in such a device...it's just TOO good, especially while travelling. The Kindles, IMO are a perfect size, great in sunlight, batteries last forever, and the newer ones have a built in light. The biggest problem is if I love the book, I want it on my bookshelf. And as such I have purchased digital and physical copies of the same book. SMH.

8. Juxtaposed Jolt

I have this same problem. Before I bought a Kindle, I had tons of paperback books. I haven't bought a digital copy of those books for the Kindle, but I'm always tempted to.

There's just something about a hardcover or paperback though, that you just can't duplicate on an electronic device.

9. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Are you using an ereader or a tablet?

I have no problems reading with my Kindle Paperwhite, it's the tablets that give me a headache.

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I have owned Kindle Paper White for 1.5 years. I have read about 100 books on it. Can not see reading books without it.

11. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

I prefer digital.

But reading on paper is easier.

I dunno.

12. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Gimme dat paper

13. yo

yo Contributing Member

Can't an Ipad serve as a reader? Why would you need a Kindle too? Is it a digital format issue?

14. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I became digital only recently after wanting to re-read The Way of Kings - by Brandon Sanderson.
    Previously, I had no preference, but 1007 page hardback? No thanks. I spent 5 bucks and bought the kindle version and gave my hardback copy away.

I just use a kindle ap on my phablet.

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I grew up with books & spent a ton of time in the library as a kid. My grandfather was an English Professor at UH and had a full library of over 5,000 books. My wife and I keep a library as well; she's a librarian and has two other literature-related degrees.

That said, i prefer my Kindle for two reasons: It's lightweight and it has a light for night reading. I know I could get a clip on light for a book but it's not the same as real book pages will get in the way and cause shadows.

It's not really an issue IMO, as the real magic is the book content, not the delivery. In fact, I'm glad that e-books are proliferating because it keeps people reading in this day of 24/7 multimedia screen time. It also cuts down on cost and the delivery of new books can be instant.

It's also overcome huge hurdles for small-time writers to get published. I'm not sure of the mechanics but there are tons of best-selling books on Amazon that are self-published in digital format. Hugh Howey is a good example of this as his Silo series is one of the best Sci-Fi reads to come out in a long, long time.

One other point that most people don't know is that most libraries these days have an e-book catalog. Check out your local library website.

So get a paper delivered. https://myaccount.houstonchronicle.com/dssSubscribe.aspx?pid=117

16. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

An iPad can serve as a reader but it def has it's weaknesses, most notably weight, battery life, and reading in bright light. It's a great reader for comics, magazines and newspapers.

You could definitely get by with just an iPad but for strictly reading books, Kindles are just too good and pretty cheap now.

17. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

paper feels better on my eyes than a tablet. Plus, its easier to leave magazines in the restroom

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I prefer an honest to god book. I have an e-reader, but don't use it too often. I got one because the last George R.R. Martin novel in hard cover was about 6 inches thick. It was exhausting trying to hold the damn thing up! I have hundreds of books, fiction and non-fiction, on several bookshelves in different parts of the house. I still have some Science Fiction Book Club hardcover novels from the late 1950's. Classic stuff by Heinlein, Clarke, Asimov and others. Every once in a while, I pull one of those off the shelf and read it again. Good literature ages well.

19. supdudes

supdudes Member

I prefer books. Maybe it's so vestige left from childhood, but I love the smell of books on a shelf and the way they fit next to each other. The history of the books manifested in scratches and ink blots, the fact that no two books are exactly like the other, and the thought that what I held in my hands came at a sacrifice from nature, all these things I have feelings for in a book.

The thought of getting everything at the touch of the fingertips makes me feel undeserving. Back in highschool I used to pray for the book I wanted to be on the library shelf when I turned the corner to the bookshelf. Sometimes I was met with disappointment, but even then I knew that the delayed pleasure of reading it was going to be sweeter. I loved the feeling of packing them into bags and knowing that I was going to read them later and for a brief period of time I alone was the owner of that book.

So in short, books for me, definitely.

1 person likes this.