1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden: "Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players..."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sydeffect, Jul 23, 2014.

1. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I agree that Harden is under appreciated, but I think it will change now that there are no Lin derailments. He averaged nearly as many assists as LeBron last season. His selfishness last season was generally shooting in the 4th quarter instead of passing the ball to Lin.

2. langal

langal Contributing Member

you can't compare a corporation with a basketball team.

Was sort of dick thing for Harden to say but it was probably the truth. Some players won't care and some might take offense. Pretty sure no player would be happy that they are considered tradeable at any moment. there's a difference between not being and happy and whining about it though so everyone should just move on.

3. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

True indeed. But during a offseason where almost ALL the quality FA's have told us, Harden's words couldn't have come at a worse time:(

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

So when players say they understand, it's a business, we should just ignore them?

5. dback816

dback816 Member

I wouldn't exactly say we had great passers either.

I mean, who did we have trying to lob the ball to Yao? Jimmy Jackson? Clarence Weatherspoon? David Wesley? Some of these names are so strange sounding to me now I'm not even sure if they were ever real players.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am not sure if the role players' jobs are to support and help the franchise players. I think the jobs of a role player and a star player are the same: win games for the TEAM. The difference between the two kinds of players is their roles.

They are like the different roles actors play in a movie. The lead actors play the lead roles. The supporting actors don't act for the lead actors. They act for the movie, completing the roles.

There is a confusion between role players playing FOR the stars and role players completing the team AROUND the stars. The stars aren't the role players' boss.

Ideally, the players should play for each other.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I think Rockets2K meant the job of the casting director is to find role players that fit the franchise player to better the team. Or, flexible role players adjust their game around the strengths of the franchise player for the better of the team.

I think you might be agreeing with Rockets2K, having semantic differences only.

8. Rajjettheking

Rajjettheking Member

Problem is that was the line fed privately to Howard and Harden by Morey. It wasn't meant for public consumption. Too bad they weren't smart enough to know better.

9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

The truth is not for public consumption?

10. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

If Tom Cruise said this about his co-stars, you wouldn't think he's a dick for saying it? What makes Harden any different?

11. Rajjettheking

Rajjettheking Member

It very rarely is. Not if you value your relationships. And in this case, your reputation.

12. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

You know there's an award for best actor and supporting actor right?

13. Rajjettheking

Rajjettheking Member

You know acting is not basketball right?

14. okeezie

okeezie Member

Says the guy who calls himself a king.

15. okeezie

okeezie Member

"Acting is not basketball". Rajjetthegenius!

16. Rajjettheking

Rajjettheking Member

What does that have to do with my username? What a lame comment.

17. okeezie

okeezie Member

You are criticizing someone for calling himself a cornerstone and you are calling yourself a king. Genius you are not!

18. okeezie

okeezie Member

Way to be humble! Harden could learn a thing or two from you.

19. Rocket90

Rocket90 Member

He actually did pretty well in the playoffs, I think he averaged his career average at like 24pts. As far as his comments, that was taken out of context due to the image so-called fans have given him. Harden was not the problem, the Trailblazers simply hit a lot of lucky shots. And it was one of the more dangerous matchups we could face. If Lilliard doesn't hit that last second shot, the Rockets would win and face the Spurs (who we swept in the reg. season) I call out bandwagon fans for influencing the Asik and Lin trades. Next will be harsh criticism of Harden next year. Transplant city=Transplant fans.:mad:

20. Rajjettheking

Rajjettheking Member

You're king of the short bus.