1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luhnow and the Front office

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Beard, Jul 9, 2014.

1. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

ballsy thread...

criticizing luhnow is not taken too kindly around here.

loved the correa pick, hated the appel pick, liked the aiken pick (obviously his elbow should have been examined prior to the draft?).

I am not sure removing appel from Lancaster will change much. He is not missing bats. If he was giving up 6ER in 5IP with 8 K's.. I would give him some slack. But, 26K in 32IP is nothing to get excited about.

Thus far I give luhnow a 4/10 rating. Arrow pointing down.

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

have just seen too many guys improve over time to be critical about the last 2 draft classes this early. And we have to go into this knowing that some of these guys (even at the top) will fail--no matter how good of a scouting team you have.

Having said that, I'm only worried about Appel given age and everything else that's been mentioned thus far.

3. yaoishung7575

yaoishung7575 Member

You're not allowed to examine anyone before the draft.

4. yaoishung7575

yaoishung7575 Member

Theo Epstein has been consistent in his drafting philosophy. The Cubs will draft the best player available on their board. As an example, the Cubs picked second in the draft in 2013. After college pitcher Mark Appel was taken first by Houston, the Cubs chose third baseman Kris Bryant. Appel was No.1 on the Cubs’ draft list and Bryant was No. 2. They didn’t reach for another pitcher.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/06/04/levine-chicago-teams-looking-for-pitching-in-draft/

If only we had been picking number two.

5. vince

vince Member

There is one thing to be said. The astros are accumulating so much minor league talent that by the sheer quantity they will stumble on some quality players At the ML level.

Baseball is a game of art. Each higher level gets progressively more difficult.

There are a lot a Brett Wallace out there. Minor league all stars who get dominated at the ML level.

And i liked Brett Wallace, he was the first example that came to my mind.

6. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

a lot of the astros top shelf talent is ed wade's.

7. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Lunow sucks. On vacation when the team needs to sign these guys. So sick of this Houston sports train wreck!

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You know this thing that allows you to post on this message board called the internet? They have that elsewhere too. Phones as well.

9. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

You are right without a doubt, but if I'm trying to convince someone to join my organization, the organization that has been far and away the worst in sports during his tenure, i'm probably not on vacation

I know it's not a popular thing to say around here, but the current regime's track record is not getting any better

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Lunhow better pray to God that Corea is a HOFer.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Hide your children, hide your wife... :grin:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Astros?src=hash">#Astros</a> last three #1 overall picks. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/WhipAround?src=hash">#WhipAround</a> <a href="http://t.co/pHdLNMwY2h">pic.twitter.com/pHdLNMwY2h</a></p>&mdash; FOX Sports: MLB (@MLBONFOX) <a href="https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/statuses/490309147607306240">July 19, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. Granville

Granville Member

Especially when you go full out tank mode year after year(while alienating some fans in the process) and then draft a bust or can't / won't sign the guy you tanked for.

13. The Beard

Could not agree more

I get that Luhnow and Morey have done "some" good things

But the "in them we trust" crowd is amazing to me

14. mick fry

mick fry Member

If Luhnow is vacationing with Garner to convince him to take over as manager all is forgiven.

15. The Beard

Ha, Phil is riding his Harley laughing at what has become of this franchise

16. mick fry

mick fry Member

You're probably right. The thing is the talent is building and is heading in the right direction but its obvious Porter is not the manager to take them to the top. The Stros need get that manager in here on the ground floor and start getting this **** righted.

17. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

You probably think that texting or emailing someone is the best way to communicate. IT AINT!

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Smoke signals?

19. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Carrier pigeons?

20. Buck Turgidson

I'm not sure what difference it makes whether his calls originated in Mexico or in Houston if Close won't return them.

I thought they did a decent job addressing some of the glaring holes last offseason with the Fowler/Feldman/Qualls/Albers/Crain acquisitions. The impetus is on them to address some more this offseason, but we have no idea what budgetary parameters the FO will have to work with.