1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chad Ford Mock Draft 3.0

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by redhotrox, Apr 11, 2012.

1. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Mock 3.0

1 person likes this.
  2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Henson would be an excellent pick at 15. I have a felling he'll be drafted before that though. Defensive bigs with 7 ft+ wing-spans don't last long on draft day. But he would fill a big need for Houston.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Redhotrox is redhot! Thanks!:grin:

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Now i am thinking if Houston ended up with that 15th pick, they would either go for the best SG available or Meyers Leonard.

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Machado's stock has risen.

6. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

I would love for either Lamb or Rivers to drop down to us, wherever we end up picking. However, I feel like Henson to Houston is too perfect to pass up. He's from Texas (Round Rock), and would learn so much from McHale & Camby, assuming we resign him.

Could be a potential steal at 15.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Could you put it all into one post cbl? Maybe?

What are the chances of Jordan/the Bobcats selecting someone else besides Davis? :eek: :p

Meanwhile, nothing has changed with the Rockets in Ford's eyes. Same player, same description three straight times. Come on Chad!

8. Fierguard

Fierguard Contributing Member

I am not a Henson fan. However, I can see why you would draft him:

From Draftexpress:
    "Henson's perimeter defense is much more of a sure thing to translate, as he possesses elite tools and abilities to defend power forwards in this regard, while also having the ability to effectively switch onto guards. He's also superb defending pick-and-rolls, showing excellent change of direction ability that when combined with his length allows him to trap hard and still recover to his man.
    "
    http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Trending-Prospects-312012--3861

After watching Boston recently I can see if you saw some of what Garnett brings to the Defensive side of the ball in Henson you pick him at 15. The ability to be the back line defender on the pick and roll, the ability to change shots at the rim, the ability to be a help defender on the pick and roll and smother that play. I am not sure he will ever be the pick and pop shooter that KG is.

Also if we end up with Dallas' pick I love either Wroten or Melo.

Fierguard

Bleed Red Rockets Red

9. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

10. Pete the Cheat

who is he going to beat out for time? Scola / Pat / DMo?
    definitely doesnt look to have the girth of a 5..

11. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Yeah, I think that's the problem with this years draft - after the players like Davis, Drummond, & Zeller go off the board, there really isn't a center compelling enough to spend a pick on, and center is the main position of need right now for the Rockets, imo. No matter who they pick, there's going to be playing time problems, unless Dragic were to walk. But I mean you've got a solid SG tandem, the best PG tandem, SF seems to be better than in years past, and you have a young guy waiting in the wings already, & then, as you mentioned, PF is set up for years to come.

It's actually kind of frustrating. Why would anybody want to get drafted by us? It's almost certainly a trip to the D-League.

1 person likes this.
  12. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

That's why Morey is looking to trade out list of assets. The question becomes, "Who isn't so sured up at the PF/SF/SG/PG positions as much as we are?

Detroit comes to mind. so does Boston will lose KG, so they will need a 4 or two. Jersey will probably lose Humphries. STAT is injuy-prone, so having a quality backup is necessary. G-State needs a backup for D.Lee. Clippers need backup at a couple positions - Boston/Detroit/N.Jersey/NY/GS/LA Clips.

Who is worth trading for on those teams? The other side of this is 'Who from the 2012 Draft is worth trading UP for? One pick is seriously worth a few assests from Houston. Where does that line get drawn?

Davis: Current 2012 from NY + Lowry + Motie + Martin + Parsons + Llull + 2012 2nd from Minn + Future picks + ...

Drummond: Current 2012 from NY + Lowry + Motie + Martin + Parsons + Llull + 2012 2nd from Minn + Future picks + ...(or less?)

MKG: Current 2012 from NY + Lowry + Motie + Martin + Parsons + Llull + 2012 2nd from Minn +...

Beal: Current 2012 from NY + Lowry + Martin + Parsons + Llull + 2012 2nd from Minn + Future picks + ...(or less?)

What does it cost, and will it be worth it to the drafting team?

13. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

I believe Scola / Patterson is going to be traded if we trade a PF which is very likely. However, I hope we draft another position since most of our picks have been PF / SF: Landry, Budinger, Greene, D-Mo, Parsons and Patterson. I rather we look at a SG this time.

14. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

I've seen this posted in other threads as well, but trading up to nab a pick from a team holding 2 lottery picks (NOLA/Portland) is also a definite possibility, especially since they both are looking for a PG. Who knows, maybe Houston looks to unload both Lowry & Martin (expiring) for NOLA's Minny pick & Portland's pick. Then possibly use those 2 picks to move up to the top 5?

I don't know, there are too many possibilities. What I do know is that, unless Morey trades this years NYK's pick for a 2013 pick, he needs to make a number of moves.

15. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

If we have learned anything from the Marcus Morris situation this year is that unless your ready to contribute right away(Parsons) the chances of you making the rotation as a rookie are minimal at best.

With that said the acquisition of Marcus Camby has given the Rockets the luxury to draft young talented defensive players like John Henson to groom for the future. So by the time Marcus Camby is ready to retire, there's a young big ready to step up and take his place.

In addition if Henson who currently weighs 220 (same as Camby coming into the draft), could reach around 235-240 I think he could develop into a DeAndre Jordan/ Marcus Camby type of center in the future.

16. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Pass. If that's the case, let's move down to grab Moultree and a 2nd rd pick.

17. alverwi

alverwi Contributing Member

For what it's worth, my sister is a long-term friend of Henson's girlfriend, and she's met him a couple of times. He told her that he would love to come back to Texas and play for Houston.

18. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

I like your logic. Why pick #11-15 (NY pick) this year if we can flip it for a future pick next year for something higher potentially? A mid-lotto in 2012 has to be worth a better pick in 2013 since this year is so 'rich' in talent.

Cleveland isn't going anywhere. BTW, neither is CHA/Washington/NOH/Jersey or Toronto. We will be in the same predicament next season because we will still have the Dallas pick and we also hold the Grizz 1st still, right?

19. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

2013 Draft is a BIG MAN's draft: Zeller/Noel/S. Adams. If Shabazz is #1, it would be nice to be in the top 5 to draft a top-rated big.

20. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

If a player is talented enough, they should be able to start. Moreover, we have an ok roster, but this team as constructed it really cannot get much better. Maybe a solid, playoff contender, like the Nuggets or Hawks.

There's still got to be be some moves made.