1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How is Dragic a unrestricted free agent after the season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by T-Slack, Mar 31, 2012.

Tags:
  1. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

I must have missed something cause most of you seem to know something that I don't, but how is he a unrestricted free agent if he's coming off a rookie contract? I know he was a overseas player but so was Scola and his rookie contract was only 3 years. Gragic signed a 4 year deal with the Suns. It would of been nice to have had the restricted option on him to match and trade him easily the way he's playing later on. So does that mean D Mo ans Lull will also be unrestricted free agentsonce their rookie contract is up too?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I believe he was a 2nd round pick, right? Thus he is subject to the Arenas rule?

Bima...HELP !

DD

3. cod

cod Member

This is Gogi's 4th year. Only veterans with 3 years or less are restricted free agents.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

3 years or less are veterans?

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

https://webfiles.uci.edu:443/lcoon/cbafaq/salarycap.htm#Q37

Restricted free agency exists only on a limited basis. It is allowed following the fourth year of rookie "scale" contracts for first round draft picks (see question number 42). It is also allowed for all veteran free agents who have been in the league three or fewer seasons. However, a first round draft pick becomes an unrestricted free agent following his second or third season if his team does not exercise its option to extend the player's rookie scale contract for the next season. All other free agency is limited to unrestricted free agency.

6. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

All first round draft picks are 4 years conracts. After the 4th year they are restricted free agents. I don't know why Dragic is special.

7. cod

cod Member

He was a second round pick.

8. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Oh ok I get it now. Hopefully they can sign D Mo and Lull on a rookie scale contract so we can avoid this problem.

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Maybe i misunderstood, but i think the issue is he was a 2nd round pick, hence, " all other free agency...". A rookie scale contract wouldn't avoid the problem (i think?).

However, i see Bud is restricted, despite being a 2nd round pick...maybe because there was a team option involved or soomething?

#9 RV6, Mar 31, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  10. Carl Herrera

Rookie scale contract exists for first rounders, not 2nd rounders.

Motiejunas is a first rounder. Llull is 2nd rounder.

11. cod

cod Member

Only first round picks are signed to rookie scale contracts. For Llull to become a restricted free agent the team requires his contract to end after his third year. Gogi could've been a restricted free agent last free agency.

12. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

No I meant a rookie scale contract for D Mo and Lull. Lull was a 2nd round pick so they would have to offer him only a 3 year contract I have learned to keep him as a restricted free agent.

13. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

No he wouldn't have been a restricted free agent. Had the Rockets decline his option for this season he would of been a unresticted free agent.

14. cod

cod Member

Only if he were a first round pick, it doesn't apply to second rounders.

15. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Ok you lost me. I was answering your post where you said he would of been a resticted free agent last season, but that couldn't happen snice he had a 3 year contract with a team option for a forth. Even had the rockets decline the 4th option to make it only a 3 year deal, they couldn't since declining a team option would make him a unretricted free agent, but as I'm writing this post I finally got what you meant. You meant had they signed him to a 3 year contract he would of been a restricted free agent last year. You need to explain it better dude.

16. cod

cod Member

No, the Rockets could have declined his the option for the fourth year, and he would've become a restricted free agent.

Only first rounders, ie rookie scale contracts become unrestricted if they have options declined.

17. Toothless_Texan

why? doesn't matter > Goran Dragic is a free agent after this season... DONE

18. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

I don't know if you know this cause your a newb, but this is a rockets fan fourum where we talk about rockets, so yeah it does matter. gtfo

19. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Pretty sure declining a team option terminates his contract making him unrestricted (don't think you can decline a team option and make a qualifying offer).

Need BimaThug.

20. Carl Herrera

Read the section I quoted.