1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

don't over look chris porter...

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by brahma rocket, Apr 27, 2000.

1. brahma rocket

brahma rocket Member

i've noticed not many people in here are talking about this guy. believe me, he will be a great player in the nba . i would pick him over miller,peterson, and miles in a heartbeat.

------------------
    johnny "red" kerr:i'm glad the bulls did'nt draft steve francis.

dan roan: why!!!!!

johnny red kerr:because he would forever be compared to michael jordan.

2. TraJ

TraJ Member

I think the reason many people aren't saying much about him is because he's a power forward in a shooting guard's body. In one of the pre-draft tournaments he was measured under 6'5". People were already considering him a "tweener," thinking he would have to make the move from power forward to small forward. Very few people think he'll be able to play shooting guard.

But having said all of that, I think he'll be a nice pickup in the late first round or second round. But I don't think he's going in the lottery.

------------------

3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2nd rounder. He's athletic, but he's not gonna become Charles Barkley. He has athleticism, but no shot to save his life. Same can be said for Richardson, but he's a better scorer.

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

4. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Yeah, im surprisedd he is only 6'5", he seemed to play bigger. I would spend a late 1st on the guy, cuz he clearly is athletic. His first few years in the league may be as a stopper of the other teams best 2 or 3. I thin ku can coach defense, but not athleticism, and i think chris has plenty of that to spare. I also think u can learn to be a good shooter.

Thus porter represents a raw product that can be refined. we all agree he is very athletic right ? what is keeping him from making it as a 2 ? desire ? I have a feeling he has plenty of that (i hope). I agree, don't give up on him yet. His offensive game may be limited to dunks and 8 footers at first, but like I said, you can develop a jumper. He is a good enough athlete to play the 2, imho

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Porter is more than a 4 in a 3's body. He plays huge and will develope a better outside game as he plays some pro ball. I would compare him to Ruben Patterson with more atheletic ability. He's an animal. I would have to think long and hard about taking him before Miller, but I just might. His potential at the 3 is limitless. One word ... Explosive!!!

------------------

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He reminds me alot of the type of 3's that Phoenix tends to draft: guys like Shawn Marion, and Michael Finley. These are guys who came into the NBA with limited outside game, mostly because they were good college scorers who didn't need to have an outside game to be effective. Though it's hard to remember, Finley was the 21st pick. In fact, check out the predraft scouting report of Finley and see if this doesn't sound like Porter:
    http://metalab.unc.edu/craig/draft/1995_draft/scout/sg.html#Finley

Porter extends explosively with long arms. His long, lean, strong physique reminds me of a guy like Garry Payton. Also, he is really smooth and seems to sort of "float" around the court. Finaly, he is a much better ball handler & passer than most give him credit for.

I think he's suffering from alot of 'scouting backlash' as the guy who was the media darling in the preseason and failed to live up to the overhype. I really feel if he develops his jumper he will be a star.

BTW, I also think he looks really smooth with the stylish big fro & tent sized shorts.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Ottomaton (edited April 29, 2000).]