1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[ESPN] Blazers Waive Ryan Gomes

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BimaThug, Jun 29, 2010.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5341016

Saves Portland a bunch of money, because Gomes's contract was only partially guaranteed.

I'm actually a little surprised that the Blazers didn't agree to take on Michael Beasley in exchange for Gomes in a salary dump by Miami. Given Paul Allen's abudance of cash, I thought it would be well worth the risk.

2. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Gomes is a good player.

He just needs time in a rotation and a system that fits him. He would be a decent pickup.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

First you fire the guy who finally got rid of all of the JailBlazers, then you get Beasley within the same week? Not sure Portland wants to double the PR hit they are already taking.

4. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

And I don't see why the Heat would salary dump Beasley yet. They only need his salary space if they're going to sign 3 max free agents and he could be useful as a sign and trade asset. Beasley's got enough value that they can easily find a team to take him for nothing. So no need to dump him until they start negotiating with free agents/teams.

5. 007 all day

007 all day Member

So I think the rockets should try to pick him up, that would be a really good plyr to our system and add some size to us if we wanna go tall

6. Asian Sensation

He's really an undersized PF forced to play SF because of his lack of height. I don't know exactly where you get this "tall" notion from.

7. AXG

AXG Member

He's a 6'7" power forward, not exactly tall for the position.

8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Gomes is just a forward. He can shoot the basketball, so he's definitely capable of playing minutes at either SF or PF. I've liked him for years.

Oh, yeah, and Morey was with the Celtics when they took him #50 overall in 2005. I have to think he was involved in that decision-making process. That's about as good of an endorsement as I can think of.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I guess that gives you an idea of how Beasley is valued around the NBA even though he's on a rookie contract. I'm sure Riles has a team or two who will take Beasley if the Heat need the cap room.

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I don't understand this where people get this from. Pritchard did not get rid of the jail blazers. Pritchard did not do the deal to get Roy. Steve Patterson did.

Pritchard drafted Sergio Rodriguez, Oden, Batum, and Bayless. He is also the one that offered Hedo that ridiculous contract, and then offered it to Andre Miller. He must be the most overrated GM in the world.

2 people like this.
  11. k-money

k-money Member

so you than made a thread, and it got locked be for anybody could even post.