1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Sorry to burst your bubble

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

As much as it sucks to say, this team won't be getting Jared Goff.

This is an 8-8 or 9-7 team. That could even make the playoffs.

What you saw today was proof that Mallett is actually an average league quarterback, with room to improve from there. The emergence of our running game is only going to get more prevalent as Foster works his way back. This team is better than we looked the first two weeks.

We actually played two playoff caliber teams and were not ready for them, probably due to Hard Knocks. Now that we've knocked some rust off, we're ready.

Today gives you a glimpse of what a decent offensive line will do for a team. They played well. The running game opens up the passing game, takes pressure off Mallett, an inexperienced quarterback, and gives the defense time to rest by controlling time of possession. It works wonders.

With Foster coming back, this offense will look even better. The defense will benefit slightly, as well.

Sucks we'll lose out on Goff, but from our usual position of 15-20, we should be able to make a run at Cook or Hackenberg.

I'm excited for the season now. This team is better than you think.

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

We played one of the worst teams in the NFL, with a rookie QB, and a defense that tried to give the Texans 1st downs on almost every single play whether it be via pass interference or 12 men on the field penalties. Did I also mention that their kicker left 10 points on the board?

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

This team isn't good, but it isn't first overall pick bad either. Probably another exciting 5-7 win season.

4. Two Sandwiches

Try and convince yourself all you want. Its not happening.

The Texans left three on the board and gave them seven, if you want to play it that way.

I didn't even talk about Duane Brown coming back, either.

Bookmark this thread. When we're 9-7 after the year, and in the division hunt, I'll take some rep.

This team will only get better as the year goes on. Call it the Hard Knocks effect.

5. Newlin

Newlin Member

The Texans were very LUCKY to win this game. We play an easy schedule, but I don't see us being a .500 team.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, it was nice to see the run game start to come to life a bit in this one. There is still plenty of room for improvement, but things aren't anywhere near as bleak as some thought/wished they were.

7. conquistador#11

i don't know why some would like to tank on purpose. what if goff changes his mind and stays in school only to have a shaky line next season then fall down the draft order. In july, hackenberg was projected to be tops.

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I have a hard time seeing this offense lead us to 8 or 9 wins. I'd be stunned actually. This looks like a 5 win team at best right now.

9. CCorn

CCorn Member

were we watching the same game? I thought we looked awful until near the end of the game when their defense went to complete poop

1 person likes this.
  10. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

The oline looked really good today. Even if/ when XSF gets healthy Oday Aboushi may still be the starter. Blue had holes to run through, Mallett had time to throw.

This team is not great nor are they horrible. My fear is they are stuck in mediocrity.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We barely squeaked by the terrible Bucs at home.

Titans beat them 42-14 in Tampa.

12. Two Sandwiches

Nobody believes in progress, I see.

Our arrow is pointing solidly up. We played two of the best teams on our schedule already, too.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You just have to expect this kind of nonsense from some here. There were a lot of positive things to take away from the game, for those open to it.

14. Mr. Clutch

What progress?

Last year we had a very good defense and offensive line and this year we can barely beat the worst team in the league at home.

Progress compare to the trash fire of the first two games, sure though. I guess that's progress

15. Major

Major Member

What? Against a terrible team and with a great running game, Mallett had a 75 QB rating today. Last year, that would have ranked 32nd in the league for the season (out of 34 eligible QBs) - worse than players like Brian Hoyer, David Carr, and Geno Smith. How in the world did you translate this performance into proof of being a league average QB?

16. Major

Major Member

(Sorry - Derek Carr, obviously)

17. Mr. Clutch

Yeah, Mallet put up better than a 57 QBrating to put up a fantastic 75. There's a positive

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He probably didn't punish him quite as much as you for the deflection INT and he probably gave him credit for a few plays WRs should have made and didn't. It was overall a very solid performance by Mallett today. Not perfect obviously, but pretty solid. Get the O line back a bit healthy and add Foster to the mix and the Texans should have a chance to win some games.

19. Mr. Clutch

You explained it better than me

20. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Falcons in the dome next Sunday. That could get ugly