1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Rockets at #8: Ronnie Brewer vs. Rodney Carney

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Deuce, Jun 4, 2006.

?

Which Player at #8 (Carney, Brower or Other)

1. Carney

35.0%
  2. Brower

48.5%
  3. Other Player

16.5%
  1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

First, let me say I would love for us to either trade up or these guys fall to us (doubtful), in Brandon Roy or Rudy Gay. Those are the guys I am keying on.

But, those guys aside, I think the Rockets at #8 will clearly be looking at Ronnie Brewer or Rodney Carney (and potentially Marcus Williams or Randy Foye, but that's another discussion).

Brewer and Carney. Who has the edge here? The more I read about Brewer the more I think I like him over Carney. Brewer has nice size, weight and long arms. He has a good BB IQ and can play some point forward. He also seems to be a good defender, potentially that lock down defender side kick we need next to Tmac. Maybe Brewer isnt a good 3rd scorer in terms of a great shooter, but he seems to be able to slash to the basket which in turn could open up other opportunities. Seeing how Dallas' Josh Howard is doing for the Mavs, why couldn't Brewer be that type of guy for the Rockets? Think how much that would help the Rockets both offensively and defensively to have someone like a Josh Howard on this team.

While Carney's shooting and athleticism are enticing, I am lukewarm on his low motor. We need "intensity" on this team.

If someone can persuade me to be more in favor of Carney than be my guest, but for now, I think Ronnie Brewer is the Rockets pick at #8 unless Gay or Roy fall (or we trade up).

2. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

My sentiments exactly.

3. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Pretty much. Carney's lack of intensity really scares me away from him.

4. TRIQSTER

TRIQSTER Contributing Member

With Tmac as a mentor on JVG as a teacher I think Carney can be everything that Brewer is and more; based on his natural abilities.

5. RocketsMVP

RocketsMVP Contributing Member

That's what I thought about last year when we picked up Swift. Hopefully Carney or Brewer can contribute more.

6. ClutchCityReturns

Well Tracy could just mentor Ronnie instead. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to knock Tracy, but I don't want to have to rely on him to help mold someone into a passionate player and defender. He's even said himself that he's not a vocal type of leader, so I question his ability to motivate a younger play. Just look at Swift, who he said he'd make into an All-Star. Now I know they had limited time on the court together, but he didn't even make Stromile a starter. As far as the JVG comment goes, I realize he's an NBA coach, but John Calipari is no slouch either. I personally can't think of too many players that made a significant increase in their intensity level from college to the pros...not seniors anyway. You either have it or you don't.

7. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

I like the fact that Brewer can handle the ball and can play point guard as well. My only concern on him is his deformed arm but it looks like he is shooting at anaccetable percentage.

Let put their stats side by side in 2005-2006 season:

Player MIN PTS REB AST TO A/T STL BLK PF FG% FT% 3P% PPS

Brewer34.8 18.4 4.8 3.3 2.2 1.49 2.6 .5 1.4 .441 .750 .338 1.32

Carney27.2 17.2 4.3 1.3 1.5 .87 1.3 .7 2.3 .436 .712 .391 1.26

8. ClutchCityReturns

A couple of things I'd like to point out about the stats...

Brewer plays nearly 8 more minutes per game, but don't be fooled by the fact that he only scores an extra point. Both players take a nearly identical # of shot attempts per game (13.9 for Brewer, 13.6 for Carney). This is reflected in the PPS (points per shot) averages (1.32 for Brewer, 1.26 for Carney). So in short, it's false to say that Carney would for sure be the better scorer. It's obvious that Brewer can score just as well, if not better, but that just wasn't his role at Arkansas.

Carney does have a higher 3pt % but that's a little misleading as well. Brewer had an off year this past season (34%) and Carney had a good year (39%) but the season BEFORE that, it was flipped (40% for Brewer, 33% for Carney). I'd be inclined to say that they've both developed an equally reliable 3pt shot over the past couple of seasons. Meanwhile, Brewer's overall FG%'s are hands down more impressive.

Brewer dominates in assists and steals, and turnovers are comparable (especially considering that Brewer ran some point). The only other category that seperates them is personal fouls. Carney plays significantly less minutes, but commits an extra foul. Not a good sign.

I may sound like a broken record, but I like Brewer over Carney more and more everyday. Breaking down their stats makes it even more obvious to me which player we should take. Throw in the fact that Brewer can guard 3 spots, plays with intensity, has been an ironman for his team (we all know how important health is), and is a year younger (remember we're comparing a junior's stats to a senior's stats here) and it's clear to me that it has to be Brewer.

#8 ClutchCityReturns, Jun 4, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2006
  9. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

Brewer is a better choice for Rockets.

Basketball IQ is the thing you will never learn from any coach. Have we already tried Swift? Carney could be the same.

As long as Brewer can shoot at an acceptable percentage,who cares how ugly it looks like? Marion's shooting is uglier.

And Brewer can play PG if needed. We can use him to post-up those small PGs and punish them. Then V-Span can come here next season and we can use our MLE somewhere else.

10. Diaw

Diaw Member

i'd take brewer over carney too ...
    but if you want good BB IQ, we should take Marcus Williams ... and trade for another pick to grab Brewer (our #32 + unprotected next year first round against a #9/#12 pick ? maybe throw in alston because williams would be our starter at PG)
    hope it's not too stupid lol

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Looks like there is some solid support for Brewer here already. Thanks for the comments everyone!

Would love to hear more about these two.

12. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

Yah I surprised at the overwhelming support for Carney on this board in Clutch's poll:

37.8% Rodney Carney
    29.3% J.J. Redick
    12.9% Shelden Williams
    10.6% Ronnie Brewer
    6.2% Randy Foye
    3.2% Maurice Ager

13. ShadowProphet

ShadowProphet Member

I used to favor Carney over Brewer but after reading some posts, I went back to undicided. But in all fairness, it looks like Carney needs some help in here. Its true that we shouldnt be fooled by the 8 more mins and only 1 extra point, but we shouldnt be fooled by the points per shots either. I actually think the pps favors Carney over Brewer because hes getting the same num of shots in less mins...leading to the assumed thought that if Carney weree on the floor for the same 8 extra mins, he would actually get more shots/points in equal time which increases his points averages. So in keeping with the minutes idea, I would say it is Carney who could score just as well if not better. He's being more efficient I suppose is what you call it. And as for the FG%'s, I dont see where Brewer's are hands down more impressive (maybe cuz I'm only looking at the posted stats for the one year)...theyre only half a percent better (.005). I know my post sounds like I favor Carney, but I dont know who I would like more right now.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This poll should be conducted once per week since opinions will be constantly changing. Obviously Brewer would get more than 10% on the forum if the poll was taken right now.

15. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

Yah you are right, it is probably a good idea to start a new poll of those two players only, in the main Rockets discussion.

16. WallofYao

WallofYao Member

Brewer over Carney.

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I would prefer Brewer instead of Carney.

18. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

I'm on the Brewer bandwagon as well. I didn't know anything about this guy but he seems to be so damn versatile how can we pass him up. He's got that unique body type that is going to seperate him from the average player and allow him to succeed in all facets of the game. Brewer it is.

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I like Brewer.

For a while, he was sort off the radar. Didn't hear anyone on the radio even mention him as a possible Rockets pick. I'm not sure why the interest picked up all of a sudden.

Here's a mock draft from hoopsanalyst.com (which has \some great NBA commentary, btw) that has us picking Brewer. It's actually the only one I've found that has us picking him.

Early Mock Draft

20. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

They have Gay falling all the way down to 12. I'd snap up Gay in a heartbeat if he landed at our pick. For all the good things about Brewer, I don't think anyone is projecting him to be a possible all-star caliber player. Gay can be an all-star (maybe even franchise level), and I don't think Gay's downside will be worse than Brewer's.

And Gay has all the size, length, and athleticism to be the SF/PF hybrid that we need to match-up with the Suns and the Mavs, and dictate the match-up with the Spurs (Like how the Mavs forced them to move Duncan to the C, because they needed to put someone else on Dirk).

No way would I let Gay slip past us if he is available at #8.