1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Interviews/Clips from Day 7 of Training Camp

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

http://rockets.clutchfans.net/5071/houston-rockets-training-camp-day-7/

No media viewing of the scrimmage today. There are a few clips from after the practice, including Tracy McGrady talking with James Harden and Dwight Howard as well as Isaiah Canaan, Robert Covington, Parsons and Motiejunas going through shooting drills.

There are also interview clips with Harden and Howard.

2. bmd

bmd Member

LOL.. I literally just made this thead. Well from now on I know to wait and let you make the thread with your clips.

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

No worries bmd :) I just removed it so it didn't conflict. Thanks!

4. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Am I being a homer in thinking Covington can shoot 40% from three this season?

5. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

This guy reminds me of a bulkier, taller Jeremy Lamb

6. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

Covington looks sick. I'm stoked for this dude. I hope he sees time at the 4. If he could make shots in the game, man, deadly ass offense.

7. clos4life

clos4life Member

Always look forward to viewing these threads. Thanks Clutch.

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

Shooting is not going to be a problem for Covington, he has proven as much over 4 years. It is like a layup drill out there.

The issue for him will be his positional transition to the NBA. When I was saying Marcus Morris could be an all star, the caveat was that he would have to transition to the SF, which he never did. With Covington, he is the anti-Morris in that sense, where he has to prove he can play the PF, something he already did in college. Because on this team specifically, a stretch 4 next to Howard will be the niche he has to carve out in order to earn playing time.

#8 CXbby, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

His shooting looks pure. How are his other aspects of the game? Rebounding? Boxing out? Defense?

10. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Covington is 6'9" 215 so he's really more of a small forward. I doubt very much that McHale would throw an undrafted rookie into a situation where he would have to guard league PF's like Blake Griffin, Aldridge, Jefferson: it would destroy his confidence. Covington should make the cut but shooting isn't everything and he will be given time to develop in the D League. Jeremy Lamb had a nice stroke too last summer. People don't realize that it takes time for rookies right out of college to transition immediately to the NBA. To put an undersized rookie like this into the power forward spot on a contender would be way over his head. I think it's safe to say that if a guy can shoot this good but didn't get drafted then there are other holes in his game.

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Robert "New Big Shot Bob" Covington?

12. Rox23

Rox23 Member

In his draft profiles Covington is listed at 6'7" 210. A guy that size can't play PF in the NBA. He can play SF though...!!

13. NotChandlerParsons

He can definitely play PF in our system. He can't be trusted to guard the Duncans and Aldridges of the world, but then which of our guys can? I'm thinking Omer and Dwight draw most of the really tough big man defensive challenges.

14. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

Don't get too excited about him. There's a reason he wasn't drafted.

15. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Chandler gets abused by most league PF's, meanwhile Covington is 2 inches shorter than Parsons and 10-15 lbs lighter. Yeah, good idea. Why don't we start Aaron Brooks and PF too and Garcia at center while we're at it.

16. just a word

just a word Member

I heard from somewhere that it'd been concerns about an injury, does anyone have more details? :confused:

17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

H-town does have your back d12

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Thanks, much, Clutch. Again, always.

Re: Cov. Can he hit like that in a 4Q of a close game? Can he do anything other than spot up 3s?

19. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

On film, it’s clear that he shows a tendency to float around the perimeter, play passively, and as Joe Treutlein noted in November, “become decidedly one-dimensional, as he just doesn't have the skill, strength and athleticism to consistently contribute outside of his superb outside shot.”

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Robert-Covington-17037/

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Agreed, mature responses from Dwight Howard on Kareem's comments. He's going to have to deal with a lot of negative crap from people this season. Hopefully he can tune that out and make them eat their words with his play on the court.