1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vince Young

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Lil Pun, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I've lambasted Young's football performance in the past but I think this is a great thing he did for these boys.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4480272

For one day at least, Vince Young stepped up to try to fill the void for the late Steve McNair's two young sons, the Tennessean reported Thursday.

Young surprised 11-year-old Trenton and 5-year-old Tyler on Wednesday by showing up at their house and taking them to their school's "Dear Dads Breakfast" at a local restaurant.

"Those are my boys," Young told the Tennessean. "I wouldn't say it was to pay anyone back; it was just out of love. Steve would do it for me. He pretty much did it for me when I was growing up. I have a history with the boys and I want to do anything I can. I am their big brother."

Julie Dilworth, admissions director at St. Paul Christian Academy, lauded Young's actions.

"It was a great, great gesture," Dilworth told the Tennessean. "All the kids had been talking about the dads' breakfast and [Trenton and Tyler] were wondering what was going to happen with them.

"They were thrilled ... the boys came to school with huge smiles on their faces."

Young had a close relationship with Steve McNair, even before the latter was drafted by the Titans four years ago. He attended McNair's football camps when he was young. McNair was shot and killed July 4.

Besides being there for McNair's sons, Young gave other kids at the school jerseys and autographs.

"It was a surprise, and just to see the excitement on their faces, it's a great feeling," Young told the Tennessean. "We had a good time eating pancakes. I had an omelet.

"Overall they are doing cool, doing good. Just talking to their mom, I think they are going to be all right. I am always going to be here for them, always."

McNair also had two older teenage sons.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Classy

Rocket River

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Probably the most commendable thing VY has ever done.

Good show.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Very cool thing for VY to do.

5. airbulllard

airbulllard Contributing Member

great job VY

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

That's awesome of Vince to do.

Man, can you imagine what those boys were going through leading up to this breakfast? That is so sad for them. Good for Vince for being there for them.

7. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I think it would have been even better if it wouldn't have gotten into the paper. How did they found out? Someone from VY's camp to let everyone know how good of a guy he is?

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

well, without being as pessimistic as you, i'm sure with VY showing up with Mcnair's kids would catch people's eye and the story would circulate.

10. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

[​IMG]

Great for Vince. I can't imagine what those poor kids were thinking leading up to the event.

11. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

Seriously man? I understand what you're saying, but to say that it being in the paper makes it any less of a commendable thing to do, is completely wrong and really missing the point.

12. RocketsFanSam

RocketsFanSam Contributing Member

Well played Vinny

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Awesome !!!!

DD

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, it would be one thing if he just showed up at a school with a bunch of anonymous kids, but by all accounts, he’s been a friend of the McNair family for many years and I’m sure he’s always been like an Uncle to those boys. It meant a lot to them to be there and I’m willing to bet that’s why he did it. Plus, he’s a football player not a politician. Why would he care about a cheap photo-op?

15. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Let's see... how would you surreptitiously deliver a large man who just happens to be a famous athlete to a school function with lots of kids and fawning parents carrying cell phone cameras?

Vince should have hired security and patted each parent down before the breakfast. He then should have made everyone sign non-disclosure forms before they were able to eat breakfast with their own kids. Only then would his gesture meet the high standards of some.

16. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

How would this have any effect on his getting more playing time?

Very cool of VY to do...

17. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Good stuff. Hopefully this will make him feel better and perform better enough to compete again.
    :mad: Why do you want to steal my show, sir? ;)

Did Vince and McNair ever play together? It doesn't seem like it. Different seasons at Tennessee? It's confusing.

18. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I missed the part about the breakfast being at the kids school. My bad. I stand corrected.

19. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

why are there no video's of Vince passing the eggs?

20. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Say what you want about him, but that was class all the way...Hope he's able to turn his career around...