1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Source: Texans plan to cut Andre Johnson if he refuses pay cut

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by joeson332, Dec 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Well Mcshay thinks we will select Devante Parker with our first rounder in his mock draft 1.0; ESPN Insider section

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

My guess is if AJ gets cut he'll get a Steve Smith type contract which was 3 years at 11.5 million with Baltimore. I think due to the Texans loyalty they would be willing to keep him if he were to cut his 16 million per year down to 8 million. Still overpaying for him at this stage, but we'll see what happens.

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think $8MM would necessarily be overpaying. He's only one year removed from a 1400 yard season, and 2 years from 1500 yards. Physically, he didn't seem to have completely fallen off a cliff. He should still have a couple of pretty high quality years ahead of him given the right situation.

4. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

He doesn't want to be here. He's gone after this year. Hope it works out better than it did Hakeem.

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

I don't know where people are getting this from. He has said over and over again that he wants to be here.

6. The Real Shady

Of course he wants to be here at $16 million next season. He didn't want to be here when he was still considered a top WR and asking for a trade.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

He asked for a trade? Officially? Do you have a quote?

8. The Real Shady

Tons of articles reporting that he officially requested a trade with the Texans front office before the season. He never came out a denied it when it was all over ESPN nationally.

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

Except he came out and said he wants to play here and wants to finish his career here.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Almost as if he had some kind of under-the-table deal with McNair....

1 person likes this.
  11. The Real Shady

That's why he didn't show up to training camp.

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

Nope.

"Johnson has not requested a trade, which leaves us wondering to what end is his absence?"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...e-johnson-headlines-noshows-for-tuesdays-otas

And there is this:

"Nobody ever thought Jerry Rice would wear another uniform. ... A lot of times you have no control over that," he said. "I understand the business part of it. If everything works out in a perfect world, I hope this is the only place I play. ... It'll be great, I think it'll be fun, I think it'll be great for fans, for the city. Great for me and my family."

Asked if he wanted to finish his career in Houston, Johnson said: "That's my plan."

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

I think this is what happened. He wanted some kind of reassurance that he wouldn't just get cut during the "rebuilding" and I think Uncle Bob gave it to him.

14. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Physically sure he can. This year he's lacking concentration or motivation or something and hopefully he can get it back during the offseason.

15. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

The problem was that he had a POS quarterback not throwing to him all year.

16. The Real Shady

Probably because DeAndre is a better player now.

17. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

18. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

19. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

How does a pay cut work in the NFL? Can you just say the both parties agree to void the contract (player: so he doesn't get cut and just pick up whatever is left on his guaranteed money, team so they don't have to pay the whole amount and take the cap hit)?

Will McNair have to agree to pay the same money just over more years even if AJ doesn't play?

edit: http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/73449/how-do-contracts-work-glad-you-asked

In St. Louis, meanwhile, the Rams realized $7 million in cap relief when Steven Jackson voided his contract. That figure represents the amount Jackson would have earned in base salary had he remained on the team. There is no prorated bonus money to contend with at this time because the Rams chose to absorb the scheduled 2013 hit last season. The $7 million salary was not guaranteed, so Jackson will not receive that money.

(though I still don't quite understand our AJ pay cut)

#99 Dubious, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Forreal . . . .even Dre
    which is why he want to leave at the beginning of the season

How much of a 'CUT' are we talking here?

Rocket River

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.