1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

advice on traffic accident

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by distence, Jul 21, 2003.

1. distence

distence Contributing Member

the guy that hit my car didnt have a license or insurance. i am pretty sure he was not a citizen because he tried to flee the scene of the accident. HPD showed up and i was able to get a police report. he is claiming that the car belongs to a company he works for. his brother who later showed up at the accident also said that the van belongs to this company. he gave the officers all the company info. well the next day i called the company and they said that the guy was not an employee of the company and that they do not own that van. so basically i am stuck now. the thing is that i only have liability insurance on my car. i have the plate numbers from the van but there is no way for me to get info on who the van is registered to. i tried calling HPD and they said that that was confidental information and that the only info i can get is whats on the police report. so if you guys or girls have any advice on what i can do i would GREATLY appreciate it.

2. RocketBurrito

RocketBurrito Member

Sorry, but you're screwed.

Uninsured motorist + liability insurance means you are out of pocket for repairs to your car. No insurance means no insurance settlement if you happen to have been injured.

Only recourse for you is to file a civil lawsuit against the uninsured motorist for your damages. This will probably get you nothing but a nice legal bill though, b/c in my experience uninsured motorists are often lacking in the kind of personal assets that could be seized to satisfy a jugdment (seized b/c I guarantee the guy won't cut you a check even if you do get a judgment against him).

Then again, a judgment against him might screw him in other ways, but if he's illegal it probably won't matter to him.

Call INS.