1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Aeros] How big is the support for the AHL Aeros after they've won the Calder Cup??

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by kwik_e_mart, Jul 31, 2003.

1. kwik_e_mart

kwik_e_mart Member

Just wondering how big the fanbase is for the Houston Aeros down south...

Do you think Houston should have an NHL franchise as Rockets President George Postolos mentioned at the naming ceremony of Toyota Center???

BTW I am from Vancouver, where ppl proudly adorn the banner of Vancouver Canucks...

#1 kwik_e_mart, Jul 31, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2003
  2. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

hockey just isn't popular down here. I don't blame the NHL for not giving Houston an expansion team a few years back.

3. Buck Turgidson

The NHL would do well, there's just no market for minor league hockey in Houston. Too much competition for entertainment dollars.

4. kwik_e_mart

kwik_e_mart Member

Well... in order for the Rockets management to get an NHL franchise, it must look to Dallas for examples of how to become a successful team...

When the Stars was relocated from Minnesota in the early 90's, they have won two Stanley Cups (?) within 7 years... this draws attention from locals and getting them into hockey...

And one example to avoid is the mismanagement of the NHL Red Wings and the MLB Tigers of Detroit...

Even though both teams are under the same ownership, but, as everyone knows, the Tigers sucked crap for n number of years while the Red Wings were winners of 4 Stanley Cups within 10 years...

#4 kwik_e_mart, Jul 31, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2003
  5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Yes..hockey would work here. It's a corporate game and we're a huge corporate city. If it works in places like Tampa, Miami, San Jose, Phoenix and Dallas, it can work here.

The Aeros get the support you might expect of any minor league team in a major league city. I love the Aeros...but I recognize that's not entirely common.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

The NHL WOULD work in Houston IMO. I'll bet lots of transplanted hockey fans (not to mention native hockey fans) would love to have an NHL team to call their own.

The reason I'm only a casual Aeros fan is because it's minor league. The 4th largest city in the country deserves more than a minor league team.