1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Chandler Parsons offended how the Rockets treated him in free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 14, 2014.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Did you omit his significant increase in PPG, BLKs and REBs on purpose?:confused:

There's no doubt Dwight raised his game.

2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I explained that pretty clearly I thought.

Counting stats went up because we went to him more often and he played more minutes.

His minutes went from 33.7 to 38.5

His usage% went from 24.0 to 28.3

His blocks per 36 went from 1.9 to 2.6, a pretty good improvement but not crazy.

His field goal attempts went from 11.0 to 17.3, he better be scoring more points taking 6 more shots per game.

His shooting and efficiency went down and his usage went up. His usage went up because of the defense that was played and how crappy everyone else was doing.

Fact is he was more effective in the regular season than the playoffs. It's just that just about everyone else on the team was also a lot better in the regular season. Howard's drop off was just less severe.

3. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Forgot to mention his per 36 rebound numbers were better in the regular season than the playoffs.

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

That's a playoff trend. Tony Parker's assists per 36 went way down from the regular season. I don't think you are thinking about what the playoffs actually are. Defenses are better, refs swallow whistles.

Another player, Lamarcus Aldridge, who we all know played amazing ball, only went up .5 ppg in his per 36 numbers in the playoffs. I really think you need to reevaluate what the per 36 effect is when talking about playoff basketball.

Playoffs are a different beast. And yeah, Kevooo, Dwight did look like Hakeem in stretches… especially at the beginning of a few of those games. Those moments right there convinced me we have a post player on this team and he's dominant if he decides to hone that skill.

5. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

I mean, the 1st quarter alone in game 2. BEAST MODE ACTIVATED.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sy-aQNIxuQ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

Thanks for this. Nice change of pace from all the garbage around here lately.

7. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

lol why is this thread still alive? Who cares if Parsons was butt hurt at the fact that we let him make 45 million dollars. Would he have preferred we didn't pay him and he risk injury (he already has a bad back). The dude should be thanking Morey and McHale, for drafting and then playing the **** out of him. Dude probably has more PT than any 2nd round draft pick ever. Okay maybe not, but he definitely benefited from the situation in Houston and he should be grateful not spiteful.

Personally, I am glad we got Ariza. Parsons seems too focused on his brand. And he wasn't that exciting player he was as a rookie when he was dunking on the likes of Blake Griffin and Javale McGee.

8. Remlap

Remlap Member

This graphic tells you everything you need to know.
    Ariza is about the same (if not better) offensively, clamps down WAY better on defense, has a ring and championship experience, and comes at about 1/2 the price.
    These numbers show that Parsons gets owned by KD and Melo while Ariza is an 'elite' defender on top SF's

Sorry Chandler. End of story. Nothing to see here

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. don grahamleone

Great research! Thanks for showing what we all know deep down is true.

As far as Hakeem-esque goes, there is one thing I notice about championship Hakeem and vsPortland Dwight that sticks out: Hakeem would have done all that stuff and immediately run back on defense without trying to show up his defender. I would love to see the humility in Hakeem's great years in Dwight's years to come. Those split seconds where he could be running back can make all the difference on defense.

10. steady

steady Member

I always thought Chandler might have some character flaws, but having him so fully exposed to be a chump like this. Kinda sad. Smug, self-congratulatory and out for himself. An attention seeker with an out sized opinion of himself. Blech.

I wish we could have used him as a trade chip. but whatever. Good riddance.

Now, if only we could get rid of McHale. :) Sorry, I will try to be on board by opening day. But keeping McHale is IMO one of the most head scratching things that happened in the this off season.

11. don grahamleone

I understand where you're coming from, but a friend of mine pointed out to me that coaching stability in sports is the most important thing when it comes to success. New quarterbacks, point guards, goalies…all have won championships pretty frequently in all the leagues. Very few first year pro coaches have.

Think about this: Bill Russell was a first year coach after Auerbach retired and he couldn't take that dream team to the promise land in his first year. Everything was in place and they dominated the league… still couldn't do it.

Riley did it with the stacked Lakers and Phil did it with Kobe's Lakers, but I *think that's it. I see your argument, but my gut says our best chance to win it all is to keep McHale unless someone is obviously a gifted basketball mind.

Edit: Only one coach has won a championship in their first year coaching in the league. Not sure on experienced coaches taking over elsewhere.

#871 don grahamleone, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  12. steady

steady Member

Yes, I agree about this. This is the reason I could not completely hate the decision to stay with McHale even when I was really upset at him after the playoffs.

There were enough glimpses of improvement in McHale last season, that I am open to seeing... But it's hard sometimes... :)

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Chandler not the only Mavs offended:

Months later, Dallas Mavericks center Tyson Chandler is still mad about insinuations that he caused chemistry issues for the New York Knicks last season.

Knicks president Phil Jackson cited the desire to "change some of the chemistry" of the team as one of the reasons he sent Chandler and point guard Raymond Felton to Dallas in the late-June deal.

"I did nothing but try to help the culture there the three years I was there," Chandler said Friday. "You can say I didn't live up to whatever or you didn't like the way I played or anything. But to ever question who I am and the type of leader I am in the locker room, I don't even know where that came from.

"I honestly don't know where that came from. I don't know if Phil put that out there or who put that out there, but to me, that was the ultimate shock. And you don't have to say that to get rid of me or to trade me. The trade is over.

"So to judge my character and what I've done, you can go look at all my teammates and ask all of my teammates in the past, and the coaches I've played for, and I've never been a problem and never had a problem. So that was a shock to me that I didn't appreciate."

Mavs owner Mark Cuban, president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson and coach Rick Carlisle all cited Chandler's outstanding leadership ability as one of the motivating factors in bringing him back to Dallas. Chandler was widely recognized as the spiritual leader during Dallas' 2010-11 championship season. He has always prided himself in being an unselfish player who demands the best of his teammates.

"It makes no sense," Chandler said. "If you call holding people accountable daily being a bad influence, then hey, I'm a bad influence. But I'm going to be that as long as I'm going to strap up my shoes and step on the basketball court. And that was the big problem there.

"That's the biggest thing. I guess if that's why I was a bad influence, because I wanted to do things the right way, then I guess I'm a bad influence. But I've never heard of that. I thought that was being a professional."

He averaged 8.7 points and 9.6 rebounds in 55 games for a Knicks team that went 37-45 after winning a playoff series the previous season. He also acknowledges that he'd speak his mind when he felt it was merited.

However, Chandler adamantly insists he never had any problems with teammates or coaches in New York. He finds suggestions otherwise to be offensive.

"You can go to any of the staff members or anybody and ask them what kind of guy I was when I was there, and if I was the guy who was pushing for what is right all the time and they would tell you so," Chandler said. "That more than anything in my career caught me off guard. I can stomach somebody saying he didn't produce or whatever, and that's just motivation. But a shot at someone's character or professionalism, that's a little far-fetched."

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/11554074/tyson-chandler-dallas-mavericks-says-character-allegations-wrong

14. steady

steady Member

Interesting. when I read that quote from Phil Jackson, I assumed he was just saying he wanted to give the Knicks a fresh start.

15. ApuN

ApuN Member

I agree.

Seems like anybody with Chandler in their name, has this instantaneous butthurt affliction.

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

Dayum, the Mavs sure get defensive in the media.

Too bad they seldom do likewise on the court.

1 person likes this.
  17. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

We should really move on from Chandler.

I'm sure Chandler wasn't offended when Morey let him off from his contract a year early so he could chase a bigger contract. I bet the exact moment he got offended was when Morey swiftly signed Trevor Ariza at half the price.

Semiotics ... he knew there was a high likelihood he wasn't coming back and Ariza's $8M pricetag was a message Chandler wasn't worth his new contract.

18. don grahamleone

And we got the better player overall. Chandler is way better at modeling though.

19. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Harden guarded George, but the rest, sure

20. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Phil count as a staff member or an "anybody"