1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

My Amazing Journey - Yao Ming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ReD_1, Oct 14, 2007.

1. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

What was the biggest obstacle you overcame to reach the NBA?
    Yao Ming: Conditioning, I am not very athletic player. Of course the conditioning would be a problem for me because of my size. My speed would be a little bit slower than a smaller player. And in the NBA the transition is very fast, so if you want to play you have to catch up to the speed.
    Growing up, what did basketball mean to you?
    YM: I am pretty lucky because basketball is my favorite sport and also it is my job.

Who was your basketball hero and why?
    YM: When I was young, I watched a lot of Hakim Olajuwon play, Charles Barkley, of course Michael Jordan. When I was younger, I watched Chinese players because we didn't have the NBA games live in China yet. So when I was growing up, it was mixed, a lot of Chinese players and some NBA players.

What is your favorite childhood basketball memory?
    YM: The first time I dunked. It was pretty late, 15 years old I think.

Best piece of basketball advice you received was...
    YM: I have gone through a lot of coaches. Every coach has helped me a lot. Because I focus I learned a lot from every coach.

What advice would you give to someone who aspires to play in the NBA?
    YM: Get stronger, keep practicing everyday, follow your dreams and one day it will be true.

How old were you when you received your first basketball and what did it feel like to have your very own?
    YM: I started playing basketball when I was 9. I forgot (what it felt like), it is almost 20 years ago.

When did you realize you had serious game?
    YM: It is hard to say. I think I never really am a great player right now. I am a player still looking to get better.

Did it ever strike you in the middle of a game in front of a packed house, "Man, I can't believe I'm here..."
    YM: A couple of years ago, but not now.

How proud is your family that you made it to the NBA?
    YM: Pretty proud ... pretty proud.

[​IMG][​IMG]

SOURCE: http://www.nba.com/preview2007/journey_yao.html

2. Noely1984

Noely1984 Member

That black and white yao is so cute...oh my how could u grew up like this?...

3. matty101

matty101 Member

When did you realize you had serious game?
    YM: It is hard to say. I think I never really am a great player right now. I am a player still looking to get better.

Best quote from the interview.

4. darnbni99a

darnbni99a Member

good read...lol @ him saying dunking at 15yrs old is "late".. :eek:

5. Noely1984

Noely1984 Member

maybe he thought nba players could dunk at 10 yrs old...

6. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

VC dunked first time at 14 yrs old

7. matty101

matty101 Member

I'm pretty sure i read that Lebron dunked at 13. Cant remember where though.

8. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

I read it very early on the first time he realized he had serious game and triggered him the idea of playing in NBA was when Tyson Chandler was drafted overall 2nd by LA Clippers in the 2001/02 season.

It was because in his bibliography, it was mentioned that when he played Tyson Chandler in San Diego in 1998 at the Nike High Five training camp, he sort of out-performed Chandler, scoring from a couple jump shots and blocked a big shot from Chandler.

He then thought if he could beat Tyson Chandler repeatedly, and Tyson Chandler could make it to NBA, then so can he. :D

9. wolverinemich

wolverinemich Member

this is very different from Tmac, who always "imposes my will on the game". Well you certainly did. 13 points in 35 secs. Now pls do it in NBA finals Game 7.

10. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Yeah, I'm reading his book right now. He says there is a play where Tyson Chandler dunks on him and screams. Yao says he hates getting shown up like that, so on the next play, he backs down Tyson and dunks on him. Teyo Johnson also recalls Yao blocking one of Tyson's shots hard.

11. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

does anyone know how tall he was when he was 14,15?

12. Bob Monkeyson

Bob Monkeyson Member

well he was 6'6'' at age 13, so maybe 6'8'' to maybe even 7'0''?

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

14. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Yes,Okafor is a Clutchfan :D
    Emeka said also that his fav memory was when Rox won the championship!

15. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

i'm pretty sure he meant that it was a late childhood memory. probably assuming that the reporter meant a memory back from when he was younger.

16. tmacyaorox

tmacyaorox Contributing Member

Yao's NBA journey seems to have destined to play for Rockets when he was 15. 94-95 season was the first time for China to broadcast NBA live. Yao saw Hakeem swept Magic in the final. Hakeem was the first NBA hero for Yao, and a lot of other Chinese kids. Rockets has been implanted in Yao's early years since.

17. Rover16

Rover16 Member

I think you can take it a step further and say the rockets were behind the creation of Yao. You know about those conspiracy theories that say yao was genetically engineered, well not in the literally sense, but in parents match making and stuff. Well, the rockets were behind that. ;)

18. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I hate to pile on Tmac but you are probably right.

I could see Tmac or Francis being asked this same question and responding that they knew they would be the best in the NBA or something like that.

I remember reading an article about Tmac when he was in Orlando when he proclaimed himself to be the best player in the NBA. At the time, he may or may not have been but I just can't get down with that type of arrogance from a player who isn't wearing a Championship ring.

19. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

20. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Sweet, sign him :p