1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Charles James II

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Shark44, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Victorious

Victorious Member

who the hell wants to play some old ass nerd game like chess, when you can play swennis?

2. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

CJ2 jersey incoming.

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Headed to Dallas in style <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SockGameStrong?src=hash">#SockGameStrong</a> <a href="http://t.co/LMrOVt9q2g">pic.twitter.com/LMrOVt9q2g</a></p>&mdash; Charles James II (@ShutDownCB1) <a href="https://twitter.com/ShutDownCB1/status/639149926551695360">September 2, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Gotta love that twitter name @ShutDownCB1

5. joeson332

joeson332 Member

might win Super Bowl mvp

6. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

Was he on the practice squad last year because I don't remember seeing him on the field?

7. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

He was with the Giants last year. UDFA in 2013 I believe. He's in his 3rd season. Can't remember if he was on the Giants psquad in 13 or not.

8. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Sad thing is, He's probably going to be in question for the very final roster spot, and we're loaded at CB depth. I love the guy and I hope he makes it, but if it sacrifices depth at positions of need, I'm sure it will hurt us sometime down the road in the season.

9. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

We just traded some guy for a pick to open up a spot today . I believe that spot is for,James. His persona on the field is,contagious. We need a guy like him to light a fire whenever we play quote unquote like **** , Bill o brian

10. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Now it makes sense. I was wondering how he and ODB became best friends.

11. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

That guy we traded never had a roster spot to begin with. He was never going to make the team. When cut, he was going to be picked up on waivers. The trade was made so that the Texans wouldn't lose out on cutting a guy they knew would be picked up. Not because he was taking a roster spot.

Don't get me wrong, I like James a lot. I like everything he brings to the team, But he's going to make the team based off his merits at CB and ST. He's last on the CB depth chart and although he plays his ass off, if you are thin elsewhere, carrying 7 CBs is a stretch, especially so since the other 6 have shown more production this year or last.

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

We traded a guy who wasn't going to make the team anyway. Cutting/trading a 4th TE when we were always going to keep 3 doesn't create space. Deciding to roll with 5 WR instead of 6 (meaning not reserving a spot for a return guy like Worthy), now that's something you can read into.

13. Cannonball

In reality the guys CJII is competing with are other bubble players. Worthy and EZ. Bullough and Tuggle. Ballentine. How many OLinemen are we keeping? How many DLinemen?

CJII isn't going to make the team as a 7th CB. The question is, is what he brings on special teams going to be more important than what another player gives you at an actual position? (and that same question goes for Worthy too).

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

Hoyer is on the same level as all those guys, for sure.

15. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

I don't think Worthy will be in consideration at the end. I think they'll want to psquad him. EZ is your 6th WR if they carry that many, if not, I don't know if he makes it through waivers. Bullough and Tuggle are interesting. They're interesting seeing that you've got Cush, Mohamed, McKinney, and Dent ahead of them. I'm not sure Tuggle is worth a spot beside his ST play. While pretty good on ST, he hasn't shown anything at his actually position. Bullough is a total unknown. He's in the classic MLB mold, doesn't cover well, but will hammer a guy, I like that. Neither one of them could make the team, who knows.

I think they carry 7-8 d-line man. Watt, Wilfork, Crick, Nix, Pagan, Covington, and maybe Moala or Finua, or possibly both.

O-line is tricky. You've got Duane, Jones, Brooks, Newton, Clark, Adams, Sua'Filo, probably Mancz, and probably one of Ferentz or Slade. That's if they don't add anyone else. Not a pretty group either.

With a full roster break down I've got probably 24 on Offense and 26 on Defense.

3 QBs Hoyer, Mallet, Savage
    5 Backs Foster, Blue, Grimes, Hilliard, Prosch
    5 WR Hopkins, Shorts, Washington, Mumphery, Strong
    3 TE Graham, Fiedo, Griffin
    4 Tackles Brown, Newton, Clark, Adams
    2 Guards Sua`Filo, Brooks
    2 Center Jones, Mancz

7 D-line Watt, Wilfork, Crick, Nix, Pagan, Covington, Finau/Moala
    5 ILB Cush, Mohamed, McKinney, Dent, Bollough
    4 OLB Whitney, Clowney, Simon, Brown
    6 CB Kareem, Joseph, Johnson, Morris, Bouye, Rolle
    4 Safety Moore, Demps, Pleasant, Hal

3 ST Lechler, Bullock, Weeks

16. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Agree with Cannonball, I believe CJ II will make the team based on his ST play and versatility. I like both Rolle and Morris a lot. However, I haven't seen either of those guys making the ST plays CJ II has made, nor has either one of them toted the rock for a TD.

Justtxyank's idea to trade Rolle or possibly Morris would free up a spot and gain us another asset.

I'm also wondering if we'll really keep 5 RBs on the final cut. Although he's played well, I have to think Grimes is on the bubble. Hillard as well, but he brings a power dimension that OB likes. With Arian hopefully coming back sooner, CJ II could be that extra back and also offer some lighting to our thunder.

Also, I'm not sure if we need more than 6 DL. Covington has played NT/DE. I really haven't see much from Finau/Moala.

17. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Morris is our best open field tackler out of all our dbs. Rolle was tied for the most INT last year on the team, as a backup. They both play ST and Morris is one of the fastest guys on the roster. I don't see either of them going anywhere unless someone offers the Texans a much higher pick than a 6th or 7th. The depth at ILB is where you could see a trade, not cb. The Texans have been thin at CB for so many years, that they wouldn't dare get rid of such a blessing now.

While James plays special teams very well, he won't see the field but maybe 2 to 3 times in the year at RB if that, and more than likely won't hit the field at CB unless there's a catastrophic injury bug with the DBs. This RB thing won't play a single factor into his roster spot. He also doesn't fit OBs mold at CB. I won't be surprised if he makes the team given what he's done so far and his attitude, but at the same time I won't be surprised if he doesn't.

They're going to bring in 3 healthy RBs and Prosch for the start of the season, while keeping Foster on the 53 man active list. That's 5 backs. You do not enter the season with only 2 healthy RBs, ever.

Grimes is no where near the bubble. They've been treating him as defacto starter/2nd backup all camp. He has better abilities than Blue and Polk. He's a lock for the roster. Hilliard and Polk are at the same level for now, Hilliard has shown more than Polk, and is willing to get dirty. He fights harder for yardage, and will play ST. He's also available for the practice squad once Foster comes back, so demoting him won't be an issue as it would be for Polk. It's the most intelligent way of going about it.

Covington may be playing at NT a bit, by no means should he be there at the beginning of the season. He is too light to play there at the moment. Barely registering 290lbs. He's a pass rushing DE. He isn't a two gap run stuffer trying to clear lanes like Wilfork and what you'd hope for Nix. Nix has been pretty unspectacular this pre-season. He's up and down, and that is given with him not playing last year. He's got a lot to learn and you can't have someone that green be your primary backup to Wilfork. That's why you carry Moala more than likely. You've got your DE starters with Watt and Crick, and their backups in Pagan and Covington. Wilfork being the starting NT and Nix backing him up with Moala as insurance. You can't expect a lot out of him right now, he hasn't shown you anything.

18. Cannonball

Don't agree with me, I'm betting it's less than 50/50 that CJII makes the team.

They'll carry 5 RB to start the season assuming Foster doesn't go on IR. You have Foster and the FB Prosch, but you still need a rotation of 3 RB to start the season with Foster out.

CJII will not be that extra back. 4 preseason carries does not a RB make. He doesn't know any plays other than toss left/right. He's 5'9", 180. He's never going to run between the tackles. He's never gone out for a pass. He doesn't know how to pass protect. If he's in the game, you know it's going to be a HB toss because he can't do anything else. Saints D caught on real quick after that first play.

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

This is pretty spot on

The only spot I disagree with is Hilliard. The guy has shown absolutely nothing. That is where Charles gets his spot imo. If they are down to a 3rd running back anyway, they are in deep trouble. May as well hand it to Charles instead of wasting a spot on Hilliard who gives you nothing on offense or special teams. CJII is a plus special teamer with positional versatility. Thats a lot more valuable than a running back who's talents could be matched by any walk on off the street.

20. Cannonball

You know injuries happen right? Starting RB pulls a muscle or turns his ankle. 2nd guy comes in but he can't go the entire game. There has to be a rotation. You have to give guys breathers. No way they go into week 1 with 2 healthy RBs. No coach would voluntarily do that. It's not going to happen.

Try again.