1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The Arizona Republic] Healthy McGrady, Yao revive Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yaowaming, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Yaowaming

Yaowaming Contributing Member

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0216sunsnotes0216.html

Healthy McGrady, Yao revive Rockets

Paul Coro
    The Arizona Republic
    Feb. 16, 2006 12:00 AM

DENVER - The records and the standings lie about how much of a threat Houston poses tonight.

They will tell you that Houston is a last-place team, 19 games away from the Southwest Division lead that it was supposed to challenge for this season. But when Houston's Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady have been healthy enough to play together, the Rockets are 16-7 this season. That has them still feeling like they could jump four teams to a gain playoff spot.

Phoenix beat Houston with McGrady out by holding Yao to a season-low eight points. That may tell you whom the Suns deem more dangerous when Kurt Thomas and Boris Diaw defend Yao, and Raja Bell and Shawn Marion get McGrady. advertisement

"With Yao, we know what we have to do - be physical and don't let him get deep catches," said Suns big man Brian Grant, playing analyst while he rehabilitates his knee and nears a possible return next month. "When he does get catches, make him shoot over you with a hand up instead of fouling. Make him work. Run him.

"With Tracy, you don't what you're going to get. If he's loose ( no back spasms), he's in score mode and he can go off for a lot and it could be a tougher night for that person."

2. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Like Grant said they did shut down Yao last time and tonights game will be a good test for Yao and the Rox. Lets see if the post injury Yao can dominate tonight and or the team beats the double teams that T-Mac and Yao see all night.

3. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

wow. sounds like grant has the ultimate solution for stopping yao. :rolleyes: it's almost like the best way to win a game is to score more points. whatever. the best way to defend yao is to scratch him and leave scars that last for 2+ years. dipschit.

4. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

i just remember the last game they had Diaw on Yao. and he couldn't deal with it, but this is a very different team with Rafer getting Yao the ball where he likes it and enough other offense where the suns can't just collapse on Yao, we win this game and we will go into the allstar break as one of the hottest teams in the league.

5. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

If any team puts a smaller guy on me and hes leaning on me all the time, I would honestly just spin around and nail him "accidentally" in the face a few times with my elbow. they usually back off after that.

Since Yao is so much taller than Diaw, if spins around, he could probbaly smack Diaw's face with his penis. I'm pretty sure Diaw would back off after that.

BTW...

Is this guy a r****d?

Shawn Marion and Raja Bell are small forwards, of course they're gonna be defending TMac instead of Yao. That's like saying Andre Iguodala is a great defender but for the Rox-Sixers game they had him on TMac instead of Yao, so that tells you they think TMac is more dangerous. :rolleyes:

6. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

Well, they shut down Yao last time because he was all they need to worry. we will see this time.

7. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

I really hope they think that's the way to shut down Yao.. cause they are gonna get burned this time. What.. did they forget we were missing Tmac and I think Rafer? Wesley has also got his shot back and we also have Bogans now as a perimeter defender... heh.. I'd like to see them try it.

8. Yaowaming

Yaowaming Contributing Member

Seems like Suns knows us very well, JVG's system just suck against Suns