1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Career] Resume service and interview advice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cohete Rojo, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Sup c-fans?

I know from reading past threads that at least one of y'all is in the resume service industry. I would really like to get some professional and dedicated help with my resume.

My resume appears to be ok but I'd like to get a second, and, professional opinion. I also have had a few calls from recruiters and companies, but I can't seem to nail the interview. Haven't had a follow up in a very long while. :( So any advice or counseling in that department would be great.

Thanks!

2. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Actually think I found the dude. Is it Dan Dorotik? Anyone?

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That's him.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm not really following it but I think he's busy tearing into DD or something, so don't expect help anytime soon. He's got a full-time job going right now in the GARM.

5. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Yep, that's the guy. Good luck with the job search OP.

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Yea he's a little preoccupied at the moment with DD lol

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

WTF is a "C-fan"?!?!?! :mad:

I don't think I'd want you to work for my company. :p

8. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

dandorotik hooked me up and I couldn't be happier with his work.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

People who like C-sections.

10. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

If you're getting calls and phone screens, then your resume is doing its job. The ONLY purpose of your resume is for it to net a call.

But yeah, dandorotik is your guy. Good luck brohemian.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I was very happy with dandorotik's work on my resume.

I ended up not needing to use it but the quality was very high. I received a compliment from a prospective employer on the quality of the resume even though I ended up not needing to take a new job.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

What is his contact info. Straw was broken today and I need to move on.

13. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

His email address is dandorotik at gmail.

I would also recommend him.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Dan created a resume for me as well. He does great work.

15. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

He's definitely quite helpful-

I had asked for his help with the resume, but he wrote back and told me it was pretty much fine and instead asked me to reconsider my applying practices and number of companies considered.

That was enough to make me be more pro-active on the process, and I'm interning and doing well this summer. Thanks Dan!

16. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

I agree. dandorotik is the guy to go with.

#16 dandorotik, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  17. dandorotik

I told you that? Holy crap, what's wrong with me??? DON'T LOSE SALES, DOROTIK!!!

Just kidding, of course- sometimes, it really is the job search. Had a guy I worked with 2 months ago, calls back yesterday, "I'm not getting any interviews! Refund!" Then, it turns out that he sent out 6 resumes in 2 months, and 4 of the resumes were sent to employers in Seattle (he lives in Atlanta), without any mention of his intention to relocate. Oy vey.

18. dandorotik

Well, the thing is, if you've gotten some calls, the resume has to be working in some fashion. If they're calling, is there anything they're asking you about specifically that you may not have? Some technology skill set, maybe? In some instances, there really is one factor that is a screen-out factor by itself.

19. SK34

SK34 Member

Should we our our linkedin profile on our resume?
    I'm gonna need to create one for internships.

20. dandorotik

Should you put a link to your LinkedIn page on your resume? Sure. Sometimes, I include it in the heading next to the email.

Basically, the resume and LinkedIn are similar- although I think you're allowed up to 2,000 characters of info for each employment position on the resume

The difference is that the resume is a bit more formal:

GLOBAL EXECUTIVE, SALES & MARKETING / COMMERCIAL EXCELLENCE

Providing the transformational leadership and expertise to take companies to the next level of success.

Over 13 years of global leadership experience with the Dow Corporation, including management of large sales/marketing global operations. Strong portfolio of achievements includes million-dollar revenue/profit gains, double-digit efficiency improvements, and innovative solutions for immediate and long-term growth.

OVERVIEW:
    Global executive, strategist, and influencer who has generated breakthrough results through innovative solutions, championing a value-selling approach to drive growth. Exceptional cross-global project management skills, with the ability to communicate to diverse groups and meet/exceed time and budget project goals. Highly effective leader, mentor, and talent developer who creates career development plans that utilize strengths and inspire top performance. Excel in addressing and resolving conflicts thoroughly.

And the LinkedIn is a bit more informal (e.g. first person):

PROFILE:

I am currently a Head of Regional Commercial Excellence with OMITTED, managing numerous global leadership responsibilities. Throughout my career, I have provided the transformational leadership that has enabled operations to become effective and efficient commercial organizations. With excellent cross-global program and project management skills, I have built a year-over-year portfolio of achievements includes million-dollar revenue/profit gains, operational improvements, and innovative solutions that set the stage for both immediate and long-term growth.

I have built a reputation as a highly effective leader with in-depth knowledge of all core functional areas, including the interconnections and synergies among each. To drive top-priority business goals, I have created IT, process, and team solutions for fulfillment, with a focus on creating an environment in which all operations work together as a strategic team. I have the experience, knowledge, and skills to be a game-changer within my next employer organization.

Specific areas of strength include the following:

DECISION INFLUENCING – I am able to customize my value-selling approach based on audiences’ key drivers and motivators, backing up convincing arguments with key figures. As such, I have played a key role in swaying senior management decisions.

TALENT DEVELOPMENT – I am currently leading projects with team members across three continents. As an engaging and straightforward director, I take special pride in developing and nurturing talent to optimize performance – both in the immediate and beyond. I genuinely care about those who work for me and create career development plans that focus on their strengths while fitting with their career aspirations.

CONFLICT MANAGEMENT – I have the ability to overcome emotional barriers and reach a deep understanding of stakeholders’ needs as well as their personal motivators. Simply put, I resolve conflicts effectively and achieve consensus on goals.