1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Scola come off the bench?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wakkoman05, Mar 21, 2011.

?

Should Patterson start with Scola coming off the bench?

1. Yes

60 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. No

78 vote(s)
    56.5%
  1. wakkoman05

wakkoman05 Member

Our starters pack a scoring punch with Lowry, Chase and Kevin Martin as it is. What we need in our starting line-up is a solid defender and Chuck can't do it all by himself. Chase and Kevin are not great on the ball defenders, so when their man gets by them our defense is forced to rotate. Patterson can provide that shot blocking presence which is integral when your defense is forced to rotate.

Scola is an awful shot blocker, and should be used at times when we have better on the ball defenders in the game. Dragic and Courtney Lee, both of whom are great on the ball defenders, will come in with Scola off the bench. In addition, Scola can provide the offense which our bench can struggle with at times.

2. Prince

Prince Member

anybody but Kyle.

3. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

Make it a poll, and yes I would say Patterson is ready to start. Especially while Scola is still recovering.

4. DCHAMP

DCHAMP Member

yup. but adelman's "loyalty" to his players will stand in the way so im going to say no i dont think adelman will let him....i hope scola is traded this offseason

5. ABforPresident

6. tested911

tested911 Member

Pretty simple... It's about the future and what better way to prepare for the future than let your future starting PF get some real playing time... Even if it cost us the playoffs this year.. We should start PPat...

Trade Scola + Picks + T.Will/Thabeet for a decent Center... Build for the future..

7. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I would start Patterson over Scola for the simple fact that it appears our defensive intensity increases when Patterson is playing (i.e. less layup drills). Right now, we are scoring enough points, even without Scola. What we need is to improve defensively and Patterson fills that bill pretty well.

Scola + Hayes = layup drills.

8. worzel gummidge

Disagree, aim to compete now and force the front offices of the Heat and OKC to make a mistake. Building for the future, Rockets won't be able to compete agianst those teams when they're seasoned. They'll just end up in the same situation they are now. Win now to showcase the Rockets as a destination a superstar will agree to be traded to or sign with.

9. rju1986

rju1986 Member

I want to disagree. It's about winning now. Why waste the momentum we're riding on? If we would have started PPat, it should've been done after All-Star break.

10. thething

thething Contributing Member

Patterson is the better player and he is the starter for the future but for now it is better to not rock the boat and let Scola keep his postion.

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

My thought is that id start Scola, but lessen his minutes. Let Pat come in at the 6 minute mark of the 1st instead of the 8 or 10 minute one.

Basically, I feel who starts isnt as important as who plays what minutes and when.

12. NewBigThree09

NewBigThree09 Member

Scola should start unless he is traded (which is what I really recommend)
    Scola is not a bench type of player, he doesn't provide you with immediate scoring and he is not a running style player so I do not think he will fit in our second unit.... but he should really be traded either alone or in a package for a decent center

13. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

I would say yes but let's raise his value.. Then trade him.. So next year our pf's will be pat pat and Hayes.. Then we can sign a center then have miller and thabeet behind him.

14. xAliceInChains

Knee Jerk reaction.

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Agreed on the Scola not being an 'immediate' type scorer.

He's not an "energy" type player - but is still an excellent basketball player.

Maybe the only genuine low post option on the roster - and since any good team should be looking to establish the post, surely we want Scola starting where he can play his high/low game around the key and open up the game for the others?

No doubt Patterson has a lot of potential, but as of right now, Scola is the better option.

Having said that, I'd also be looking to move Scola in the off-season for a legit big man if possible. But only in a definite upgrade move!

16. RX2012

RX2012 Member

you can't rely on just your guards to score, we need a scores down low...thats luis scola..

its never gonna happen at all, at least not this season.....

why waste time debating

17. Chrisjaka

Chrisjaka Member

Clutchfans have commitment issues damn as soon as somebody gets good you trade the guy what the hell is the point in coming to Houston when you get traded after a year?

18. Dei

Dei Member

Yes. Miller and Scola play together well too.

19. rocketsmetalspd

Scola should never be traded. Unlike many who want him gone it makes no sense to trade Scola. PPat has played great and having a veteran like Scola will only help his game in the long run.

20. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

We need a stong defensive starting 5.... e.g Bulls..

c- Hayes
    pf-Patterson
    sf-Martin
    og-Lee
    pg-Lowry

Hill
    Scola
    Budginer
    Tragic