1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 4 between Luka and the Mavs and Shai and the Thunder. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[MUSIC]Genesis

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Manny Ramirez, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Genesis has been a band that I have really gotten into the last couple of months. The interesting thing about them is how they went from being this Progressive Rock beast like Yes, ELP, and King Crimson to being a pop band. However, very few people realize (IMO) that it wasn't until the "Invisible Touch" album that they became 100% (or close to it) pop band. I don't have their first 2 albums nor their last 2 (their last album, I heard was really sucky). In talking with other Genesis fans (mainly from the Pink Floyd forum I used to go to), it is like most of them either love or hate the Phil Collins stuff and the ones that hate the Phil Collins stuff love the Peter Gabriel stuff.

Favorite albums:
    "Selling England by the Pound"
    "A Trick of the Tail" (first album without Gabriel and absolutely amazing work of progressive rock)
    "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" (hard to listen to as your first album, get it after listening to some of their other progressive stuff)
    "Duke"
    "Abacab"

Favorite songs:
    "Dancing With the Moonlit Knight"
    "Carpet Crawlers"
    "Lilywhite Lilith"
    "Ripples"
    "Dance on a Volcano"
    "Duchess"
    "Man of Our Times"
    "Misunderstanding"
    "Turn It On Again"
    "Abacab"
    "Man on the Corner"
    "Dodo/Lurker"
    "Mama"
    "Second Home by the Sea"
    "Land of Confusion"

Any other Genesis fans here? What are some of your favorite albums and/or songs?

2. Buck Turgidson

[insert Patrick Bateman quote here]

3. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

Lamb and Abacab are probably my favorites.

The "We Can't Dance" tour in the Astrodome was a fun show. "Home By The Sea" with ghost gobos all over the inside of the dome really helped my "medication" kick in...

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I am not a Genesis fan, per se, but I just found out last year that Peter Gabriel was their singer before Phil Collins. :eek: I like Phil Collins as a vocalist. I think he has the creepiest tunes, though.

I came to the states when "Land of Confusion" was playing non stop on MTV and learned it without even fully knowing English. EDIT: AND I knew su-ssss-su-sudio backwards and forwards after that, and thought it stood for "suicide" in Spanish (suicidio).

#4 SwoLy-D, Oct 4, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  5. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

Stu - Stu - Stupido

I have been listening lately to them and enjoy some of their stuff. Just some of the Prog Rock I have been listening too. Im not into the pop vibe at all.

6. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

much obliged. :D

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where, uh, Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority.

In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as, uh, anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your ass. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and, uh, Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

7. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

dbl post deleted

8. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Genesis, as a band, died when Peter Gabriel quit.

9. Fatty FatBastard

I'll add Groovy Kind of love, although I may just like the song because it reminds me of high school.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pierce & Pierce

11. Win

Win Contributing Member

What Genesis became after Gabriel left was pretty bad at the end.

'Lamb Lies Down on Broadway' is in my top 5 all-time favs. 'Suppers Ready' would be my favorite song of theirs.

12. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

That is actually a Phil Collins solo song. It's funny but this past Saturday, my wife and me were going to Nashville and listening to the "Duke" album. She had no idea it was a Genesis album; she thought it was a Phil Collins solo album!

Win,

I thought I remembered you not being too high on Genesis after PG left; however, what do you think of "A Trick of the Tail" and "Wind & Wuthering"? I mean those 2 albums are still prog rock.

13. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

I like both Gabriel and Collins, both while with Genesis and solo careers.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One of the best songs of all time is:
    Easy Lover by Phil Collins and Phillip Bailey

its better than that crap Justin Timberlake and Timberland song

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I also think peter gabriel is better. :)

actually I had no idea that peter gabriel was the lead singer before phill collins. everyone thinks my moniker means peter gabriel but it doesn't and I only recently found out he was the lead singer before collins from some co wokers. I really like phil collins and I liked genesis when he was there.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I like the Gabriel stuff, especially when he dressed up like a flower on stage. But I also like some of the early Phil Collins stuff. Abacab is one of my favorite albums. It's a little more accessible than some of their earlier stuff, but it is still edgy enough to be interesting.

I saw the Invisible Touch tour. Every time they played something from that album, we would sit down in protest. We only wanted to hear their old stuff. But the Chester Thompson/Phil Collins drum solo was VERY nice.

I read somewhere that all the current and former members of Genesis get together once a year. They're all really close friends, even the members who weren't in the band at the same time. They said it's kind of like a fraternity.

17. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Wikki has a pretty good article for those interested:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genesis_(band)

How do I get tose pesky OGG files on that page to play? I upgraded to beta 11.

Genesis Timeline
    1967 Gabriel, Banks, Phillips, Rutherford, Stewart
    1968 Gabriel, Banks, Phillips, Rutherford, Silver
    1969 Gabriel, Banks, Phillips, Rutherford, Mayhew 1
    1970 Gabriel, Banks, Collins, Hackett, Rutherford 2
    1975 Collins, Banks, Hackett, Rutherford 3
    1977 Collins, Banks, Rutherford 4
    1997 Wilson, Banks, Rutherford 5

ADDITIONAL PERSONNEL
    1 David Thomas
    2 Mick Barnard
    3Bill Bruford
    4 Chester Thompson, Daryl Streumer

#17 Dubious, Oct 4, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2006
  18. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

thats right, you better step off, Faos! There is only room for one Patrick Bateman on this BBS and it better be me.

19. Win

Win Contributing Member

I like both those LP's, Manny ;) Maybe I should say my disenchantment with Genesis began after Steve Hacket left.

To Collins' credit, he really was a great drummer. He particularly shines in "The Musical Box" from Genesis' first live LP.

20. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

weird, i just heard a phil collins or genesis song i hadn't heard in a while on my way home and yesterday i heard a different one i hadn't heard in a while and it got me to thinking how many phil collins/genesis songs there are. and then this thread pops up.

my favorite song is "invisible touch" which comes in at #27 on f4p's all-time favorite song list, but there are several others that are quite good (though some may be phil collins solo).

i like collins solo work and peter gabriel's but on the strength of "in your eyes" and "salisbury hill" i have to give a significant edge to peter. and when i'm in the right mood for it, i probably like sledgehammer more than any collins song. so actually, now that i think about it, i like peter gabriel's stuff a lot.