1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any Clutchfans got a CA/CPA or equivalent? (Chartered Accountancy)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Panda23, Aug 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Panda23

Panda23 Member

2. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

What would panda want know about it?

1 person likes this.
  3. Panda23

Panda23 Member

just in terms of the necessity and opportunities it opens up down the track.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I don't know what a CA is, but I have a CPA

5. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

It opens up an enormous amount of opportunities in various industries. I'm in the process of transitioning my career, and every company I've interviewed with for an accounting position has required a CPA designation. You can easily get away with not having one, as it's just a stupid certificate that implies you know how to memorize thick textbooks, but I just received three offers:
    1) O&G project accountant @ $50/hr (contract) ; 2) Accounting Supervisor at large multinational bank @ $92K + quarterly bonus ; 3) Senior Accounting Analyst at investment management firm @ $102K + 15% profit sharing + 6% 401K match.

Again I'm not saying you can't get these types of jobs without it, but these specific jobs required it, and so obviously it's helped me. It's not the best money out there, but for someone still in his 20's, it's nothing to complain about either. As long as you're analytical and can demonstrate strong logical/problem solving skills, you'll be fine.

1 person likes this.
  6. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Currently working on mine. Studying is a real b**** for this. No other way to say it but as long as you keep your eye on the prize you should do fine. It opens up so many upper management positions that otherwise you wouldn't be able to qualify for and you will be well compensated. I'd recommend anyone with the credits to sit for the exam to go for it.

1 person likes this.
  7. Panda23

Panda23 Member

well I'm 20 and starting out at deloitte this summer, practically everywhere I've had an interview stresses that you have to be CA/CPA eligible. but as long as it keeps doors open all the better I guess, cheers mate

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Got mine as well. Don't use it but helped me get into my current career.

Looks good on the resume

9. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Get it, and get it as quickly as possible. You want to study and sit for the b**** while you still have a classroom mindset.

You might have trouble getting an offer from Deloitte if you don't have your 150 credits (and who doesn't want to stay in college a little longer, anyway?). Plus, if you stay there they'll probably pay for your study materials and give you a nice bonus once you're licensed. Once you've got your masters, your CPA, and a couple years of Big 4 experience, you're pretty much set.

10. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Being an accounting major, I'm interested in this.

What's the best way to get a job from one of the Big Four companies?

And Panda, you're only 20?

11. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Well I got placement at Deloitte through a university program (unpaid) and they put me through the whole interview process for a vacationer position (paid/Ive still got time at uni to go).

Even from the unpaid work the other big four and mid-tier firms were pretty much chasing me.. but I've done so many behavioural interviews/assesment center type things its rediculous..

and yep I'm pretty young haha

12. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Don't mean to derail but...

I'm currently working at a mid size public accounting firm. Would you guys recommend that I switch to Big 4 as I get closer to completing the CPA exam? It's just pretty difficult to pass up what experience at a Big 4 firm can provide you with.

13. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

Are you in audit or tax? What do you want to with your background? You can message me through the board. I personally hated public accounting and wouldn't recommend big 4 at this point unless you go into advisory.

14. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Well the world is getting more competitive. Getting a CPA is essentially a conversation starter. Its almost a necessity for many good jobs, you open doors by having it. However, just having it in itself is not enough. Make sure you network, network, and network. Can't stress enough how important it is to actually develop the skill of networking.

You probably could get by without having the designation, but why climb a steeper hill? Make it easier on yourself and get the designation. Not everyone does well once they get it, so there are no guarantees. Depends on how you carve out your career and what choices you make. Good Luck!

15. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I'll go ahead and second this. I worked at a mid-size firm (Grant Thornton) for 5 years. Got promoted to manager and left. Unless you really like public accounting, I'm not sure that there is a point in staying. It looks really good, but I personally thought the "Big 4 Experience" was a bit overblown. I have a good friend of mine who started with me and now works at E&Y and he is just itching to get out. Even with his Big 4 experience (he is now a manager), he is having a difficult time finding a job.

I think the longer you stay in public accounting, the harder it is to find a job. I personally didn't like the aspect of financial reporting, and it seemed to me if you make manager or higher in public accounting you have to love it or go do something else.

I now work at an Oilfield Services company as accounting manager and should be promoted to Director within a few months. Public accounting helped me to get my job, but I think I would have been fine with a year or two less of it.

As for the OP...if you have the opportunity to get it, why not? There shouldn't be a question. It could only help you and should never hinder you, so why is there any hesitation at all? Especially if you're doing accounting.

Get it early (I got mine within about a year after college). The higher you move up, the less time you'll have. I know people with more experience than me that don't have, and people always ask them why they didn't get it. No one will ever ask you why you got it.

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

You'll need to get it if you want to keep working at Deloitte or even regional or local CPA firms.

17. Panda23

Panda23 Member

yep everywhere i've interviewed they've had some sort of CA question in terms of are you eligible etc, seems a big priority.