1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Objection your honor.

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

I liked it. At least the first half was good... then it got a little crazy with the random superpower of having nano technology spawning out of thin air. Would help if they got a hot actress to play the female scientist, instead of a horse.

3. CometsWin

I thought that nano tech stuff was the best part of the movie, super weird and interesting possibilities.

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Movie was definitely iffy but Rebecca Hall looks good to me in an every woman kind of way. I think in some of her movies they try to make her look homely; the town comes to mind. She isn't strikingly beautiful (when she isn't made up), but she is very pretty IMO.

Don't you remember, she was actually cast as the hot scientist in Iron Man 3.

[​IMG]

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely could follow it. Not sure what was so difficult about the plot. Maybe give it a second viewing? (Classic "The Sting" style plot)

6. Hmm

Hmm Member

Godzilla - 6.5/10

It was entertaining, certainly, but it could've been much better.... There was either miscommunication between screenwriters, or some confusion with the director and casting director, or all of the above.

This movie is an odd amalgam of serious drama and B-movie nonsense in it's mood, tone, and pacing. It's a strangeness echoed by the make-up and performances of it's main cast, which splits between intelligently purposeful and mind-numbingly idiotic. On the one hand, you have the dramatic quality and skill of Bryan Cranston and Ken Watanabe urging forward the gravity of the setting, and on the other you have Aaron Taylor Johnson who seems to be in an unceasing stupor throughout the film that constantly dragged the film down to a palpable bore.

His character seems only mildly annoyed at the idea of giant monsters stomping around, destroying cities and being an unassailable threat to mankind, including members of his immediate family.

Nothing I can really say about Elizabeth Olsen's performance, as there was nothing really there for her character to do, other than be someone's wife. Something she shared in common with Juliette Binoche... who was really only there to serve as a plot device to cement and strength the resolve of Bryan Cranston's character - which was poorly executed by he way, nullifying her character's sole purpose. Olsen's character, however, was part of the biggest focal point of the movie (yes, much like Transformers, and Independence day, filmmakers continue to think we the audience would find human characters much more interesting than invading creatures/entities of extraterrestrial origin, or, in this case, a limitedly studied ancient beast of extraordinarily massive size and potential intelligence inhabiting the deepest unexplored regions of very own waters.)

There really is no excuse... The military presented in this film couldn't have been more stock. Their presence really brought out the B-movie side of this picture to glaring levels and not in a good way. Just dull, dull, dull, and cheap, cheap, cheap...

This could've been such much more interesting and entertaining film, but it squandered the opportunity, like many other modern movies of this all-too-familiar genre.

It had the budget to build impressive looking beasts, particularly the film's namesake (when you do see him) but wasted it by hiding and blinding the audience to their magnificence with incessant teaser shots and interminable darkness.

It had three terrific actors in Cranston, Watanabe, and Binoche... but, for, whatever reason... the director decided it was a better use of their talents to reduce them to limited supporting roles (practically cameos really) and highlight instead a man who's biggest achievements in film are his performance in Kick-ass and being nominated for a "best depiction of nudity" award, and, of course, Elizabeth Olson, who played his wife.

Lastly, it had Godzilla, and when he wasn't being hidden from audiences he was an impressive sight to behold, and despite never being a big fan of his movies, not even during the dinosaur phase of my childhood that most little boys go through, he did manage to bring out the child in me every time he appeared on screen. Nowhere in the film more so than during the final fight.

Hopefully they'll improve on their mistakes for the sequel, and give the audience the movie this one could've been.

7. conquistador#11

the longest week- 8.01/10.
    I don't know how these 'alternative links' get access to new movies that haven't been released yet but I'm glad that they do.
    Jason bateman and Olivia, what can go wrong? absolutely nothing! very enjoyable movie and definitely will watch again. At first, I thought the frame by frame style was a little too wes anderson-ish, but it worked nicely and glantz even alludes to it.

8. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

I love this movie and made a couple of friends watch it also, but for some reason they didn't find it scary at all :(

Guardians fo the Galaxy was a 9 for me.

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Guardians of the galaxy. Love a good old fashion Sci fi galaxy movie. Why the hell would you get Vin diesel to play groot? The tree was probably the highest paid actor in the movie.

10. downbytheriver

Lucy - 7/10

Needed a better director...cld've been world's better

11. CometsWin

Goodbye World - 7/10, Apocalypse type movie, liked it. Seemed like a more realistic apocalyptic type movie.

Thanks For Sharing - 7.5/10, Much better than I anticipated. Josh Gad is just funny no matter what I see him in. He's like Jonah Hill but funny.

Divergent - 5/10, Predictable, teenager flick. Liked the concept but poor execution.

12. conquistador#11

Metro Manila=9.0/10. Not only do they make wonderful linen shirts in the Philippines but apparently fantastic movies too, as I believe this one to be just that, fantastic. It starts with a family trying to make ends meet but it evolves into so much else.

13. Jontro

Jontro Member

Guardians of the Galaxy - 6.5/10

It was a fun movie, but for some reason I didn't really get into it that much. Maybe because I watched it with my ex, whom I realized then and there that I truly hated her. Makes the movie-going experience not so enjoyable.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Goodness. . . . . The Moment when . . . you realize you truly hate someone
    I can see how that would sour a movie

anyway
    Expendables 3
    6.5/10
    I did not go into the movie looking for any deep meaning
    I did not go looking for intriguing plot
    It was ok . .the story stayed on course . . .predictably
    the stunts were good .. . .
    kind of like a BAYPLOSION MOVIE but better story
    Turn your mind off for a while

Mel Gibson DOMINATES every scene he is in . . . Crushes all the other actors
    Antonia Banderous does as well.
    I think a Scene with the two of them would have been great

Rocket River

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Guardians of the Galaxy

10/10

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The Hundred-Foot Journey - 9/10

Good date movie.

17. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don Hemingway - 7.5/10. It's a bit odd but I enjoyed it. Jude law did a great job but man, he has aged badly. Guys doesn't look like himself at all. I felt it could have been a little more funny, but i still enjoyed the dark humour it had.

18. dragician

dragician Member

White House Down - 6/10.

action movie for kids.

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

The Double - 1/10

Watched the first 9 minutes and just couldn't take it anymore. Skipped to the end where dude jumps off a roof and doesn't die. The whole setting and color of the movie looks depressing, not watching this schitte.

The Other Woman - 2/10

I actually made it to 59 minutes on this one. Then skipped to the end where all 3 girls got back at the "husband" and bankrupts him. Cameron Diaz is old and ugly now and the other chick isn't attractive. Kate Upton is boobs... hence bumped this from a 1 to 2.

20. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Appleseed Alpha

So horrible it was maddening. The photorealistic approach was impressive at times but ultimately I preferred the cell-shaded style of the 2004 film and Ex-Machina. Those felt a bit more fluid whereas this was just clunky. The character designs sucked, mainly Duenan. I never cared for the English voice cast, preferring to go with subtitles, but in this one I have no choice. Too much crappy, cliche ridden dialogue and not enough action. No character development. The whole thing really is just a meandering bore. I'm glad I decided to redbox it. So dissapointed because I enjoyed the others.

4/10