1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does austerity work?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Faust, Jul 4, 2015.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

If you didn't see the insult...

2. malakas

malakas Member

not itt's not part of my problem It's YOU who have no idea what you are talking about. Nationalist means ethnicistis in greek which in practice of the party means not some nazi like Golden Dawn. They are right but not extremist. You just blindly parotting what you hear without knowing the party or their voters. they are nationalist in the sense they don't want illegal immigrants and they want to build a wall in the border so they don't pass ILLEGALLY.
    I don't even vote for them or like them but to call them extremist is HILLARIOUS.

Golden Dawn got 7% ? no **** sherlock. Why did you think that happened? It was AUSTERITY! The first time I saw golden dawn painted on a wall as graphiti I was already 15. They were a joke and noone took them seriously and only had some supporters in the north in the bulgarian and albanian borders.
    But when AUSTERITY comes in and it takes away your food your job your future your happiness and gives you back fear then people turn to the likes of the golden dawns. It has happened again and again in the history and Germany is the prime example. Still the majority of the greeks are vehemently against them especially the youth. That's why they ended up in jail. Their crimes and shennanigans were put in the spotlight if they HAD as much support as you falsely claim they would be in power right now not in the prison wing.

You don't blame me and that's right. I voted yes but I accept the decision of my people. It's democracy and i will stand by it even if it means back to drachma. Noone because they are more rich should force you to vote for what they want. Esp GERMANY with their history. people are still having hope. That's dangerous but also good. The spirit is not broken.

3. malakas

malakas Member

lol aroundtheworlds response again is STEREOTYPES.
    like the stereotypes of texans that they are rednecks who shoot everyone and wear spurs and cowboy hats. Good.
    I think it's about time that noone takes this clown seriously.

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

breaking news: Greeks vote for Germany to continue funding their lifestyle

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Look, I hope that everything comes to a resolution that avoids the worst for the poorest of the poor in Greece, and that gives the Greek economy a good chance to recover. Even though you seem to be stuck in the "us vs. them" rhetoric Tsipras and his communist gang as well as the nationalists have been spouting, I can understand that from your perspective. I just want you to know that Germany is not Greece's enemy. Neither are Ms. Merkel and Mr. Schaeuble. None of them want Greece or its people to suffer. But please understand that unsustainable levels of government spending while expecting to get it all paid for by the other member states doesn't work long-term. What also doesn't work is to show those who have been supporting you the finger, as Mr. Varoufakis did, and call them terrorists. You blame everything on "austerity" and the EU or Germany. Do you not see your own country's decisions in the last 20 years at least as part of the reason? I think the rhetoric in Greece to paint Mr. Schaeuble as some kind of evil Nazi is shameful.

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Don't you find it at least a little bit funny that most other countries (no, Mr. Schaeuble did not tell the Czechs to answer that way) view Greece as least hardworking and least trustworthy whereas only the Greeks view themselves as most hardworking and most trustworthy?

Do you think that's all an evil conspiracy? Or do you think there is a tiny, tiny, tiny chance that Greece has contributed a tiny tiny bit to that perception?

I'm German and I can totally see how most other countries view us as most arrogant and least compassionate...

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My bad, I thought you were trying to be friendly with that wink and all. I was like, this guy actually might only be 99% douchebag? Nah..thanks for confirming. You're 100%.

8. malakas

malakas Member

no i dont' find it funny. I find it ..not interesting. I don't care. I have been to germany btw many times and I had people telling me to gtfo and call me names because I have dark hair so who's the extremist society??? and that was on daylight on a hamburg surburb not in some dorf . I still think that the germans are very nice and good people based on my own experience with my german friends and I don't care about stereotypes at all.
    In fact I think whoever bases opinion on stereotypes is stupid.

9. Commodore

Greece doesn't like their sugar daddy imposing conditions on their borrowing/spending. It's undignified, makes them seem like the children they are.

So now they need a new sugar daddy. Putin perhaps.

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I don't know...I also have dark hair and am pretty sure I look less "German" than you and none of that has ever happened to me (in Germany or anywhere else). Sorry to hear about your experience.

I have also been to Greece many times (Rhodos, Athens, Syros, Thessaloniki, etc.), and always had a great time. I love it there.

11. Commodore

I've decided to reject austerity, it doesn't work.

Can someone loan me some cash for a Ferrari?

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I think at least half of us German people have dark hair, did you confuse something and it was about your Greek looks as a whole? And even then it's highly uncommon, there are racists in every country unfortunately and it's not representative in any way.

13. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

fixed your soundbite for you.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/30/b...longer-sees-most-of-its-bailout-aid.html?_r=0

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not shocking that the same people who voted for politicians pushing such fiscally irresponsible policies that they bankrupt the entire country would be the same people to vote against fiscally responsible behavior now that they are buried in debt.

15. Major

Major Member

The EU certainly won't go under - but there is a lot of uncertainty in terms of what kind of chaos might happen and how much damage is done. It's easy to say "Greece is contained", but no one actually knows that. There's a reason the stock market freaks out everytime anything dealing Greece comes up.

This isn't necessarily true, though. People said the same thing about TARP and the auto bailouts in the US. If you structure it in a way that is designed to help the weak party (Greece) actually recover, you can get money back. Restructuring interest rates and payment timeframes is a pretty straightforward version of that. Banks do it all the time with non-performing loans. The problem thus far is that Europe's strategy has been designed to punish Greece rather than actually get it healthy. Merkel admitted the first bailout wasn't designed to succeed. The IMF has admitted it failed in it's austerity demands. And just this week, the IMF admitted than without debt forgiveness, Greece cannot be fixed. So if people are serious about fixing Greece, then they have to change their approach because they previous one wasn't working.

Bullying was forcing Greece to negotiate at the barrel of a gun for the last few bailouts, and then again in the negotiations that were going on in the last few months. Europe wanted to additional concessions from Greece on its terms.

If you point a gun at my head and say give me $10, and then take the gun down and I say decide I'm not going to pay you $10, so you put the gun back to my head, you're still a bully. Greece finally just said "fine, shoot me". Again, all of Europe's negotiations with Greece have been only about the best interests of Europe, and not Greece. Until the lenders realize it's not just Greece that screwed up, you won't have a viable agreement. Lenders have to agree to pay the price too, or they will lose everything.

Both sides benefited when everything was good. Greece got cheap money and bankers made lots of money off them. The question is about now.

You and I have no idea if that's true. Lehman was tiny and nearly brought the entire world down in 2008. Greece in 2010 and 2011 (?) caused two worldwide market panics that stunted the global recovery. Everyone says Greece is contained now, but no one actually knows. No one thought Lehman failing would be a big deal either.

The poorest of the poor are being destroyed by austerity too, so they lose either way. They are the ones that have suffered the most with Europe's problems and they are the ones that elected Tspiras because they wanted a different path. That's an unfortunate reality that Greece faces - there are no good solutions and their poor probably are going to bear the brunt of any option.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're asking here? All the bailouts they are getting are going to directly to debt service. It's just been Europe paying money back to Europe while demanding Greece destroy itself.

That may be true, but no one anywhere has made that claim. I could just as easily say the Illuminati are running everything. There's no real way to discuss this point since there's no evidence to back it up. You don't trust Syriza.

We'll see. I suspect after some bluster in the next few days, European leaders will come right back to the negotiating table. If not, Greece will get destroyed and start the long hard climb to being a functional country again, with their own currency/etc.

1 person likes this.
  16. Major

Major Member

What's the deal with all these dumbass 2 line posts? Are you just finding random junk to re-tweet to us? You don't seem to have any grasp at all on any of the issues at play here.

17. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

i'm fairly certain Commodore is either a very clever Twitter bot or a very uninformed human.

you could have a training set of conservative vs liberal views, then a bot that scraped conservative views past a certain favorite/retweet level and it'd perform about as well. :/

18. malakas

malakas Member

it was in 2002 during the mundial when turkey went third and maybe confused me with turkish who at that time were all out with turkish flags etc etc. I don't care. I have german friends and know very well how good and nice german are. I don't base my opinion of one instance and stereotypes.
    They are also no cold if you get to know them.

19. PhiSlammaJamma

More Virtual Money.

20. malakas

malakas Member

the voting was not rigged. There were many people supporting no. In athens especially and in central. We in the islands because we are more dependant voted all yes. The athenians have it better than the countryside so it's expected.

Also the voting is not rigged because we may have financial problems and corruption but in not such a level. We are not third world country.